Reviving an old CJ7

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Took the CJ7 (aka morphodite) out for an hour. Drove up some long hills and it did better than before. After a 6 mile climb up an average grade of 5% water temp was 220. Turned around and came down the hill and it cooled off to 200 pretty fast.
First time I've made it all the way up the climb without stopping in fear of blowing up the engine.
Much improved after the new radiator.

Next step- install flat tube fenders

Considering wrapping the headers to decrease under the hood temps.

What do you think about wrapping the headers?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Not sure how I missed this thread. Your CJ7 is looking great! I miss mine a lot. Crazy it's all Bronco underneath! Can't wait to see how it progresses, Subscribed!

Nick Zambo

Took the CJ7 (aka morphodite) out for an hour. Drove up some long hills and it did better than before. After a 6 mile climb up an average grade of 5% water temp was 220. Turned around and came down the hill and it cooled off to 200 pretty fast.
First time I've made it all the way up the climb without stopping in fear of blowing up the engine.
Much improved after the new radiator.

Next step- install flat tube fenders

Considering wrapping the headers to decrease under the hood temps.

What do you think about wrapping the headers?

Listed below are some pros and cons to to consider if you decide to coat or wrap your headers.

In my personal experience with wrapping headers you will be surprised just how fast they will rust out and this was on a modded mustang. So it never seen a water crossing or large puddles.

Ceramic Coated Headers

Ceramic Coated Exhaust Parts
This is a spray-on finish that’s infused with heat-insulating ceramics. It is not a DIY solution, these exhaust parts are coated at the factory, or sent to a facility with the proper equipment.

Pros

Provides the biggest horsepower gains when compared to other exhaust insulation methods Reduces under-hood temperatures better. The ceramic coating is applied evenly on both the inside and outside of the exhaust pipes, preventing “hot spots” that can cause metal fatigue Improves the laminar flow of your exhaust gasses Prevents rust and corrosion of the ceramic coated parts.

Ceramic Coated Headers

Cons

High-quality, ceramic coated exhaust parts are more expensive Manufacturers use a special process to apply the coating. While the coating is durable, the part will have to be sent back to them for repair if you manage to chip it Coatings may dull in appearance over timeHeader & Exhaust

Exhaust Wrap

This is a fiberglass or composite fabric that wraps around, and insulates, exhaust system components. It is a DIY solution that can be added to nearly any exhaust part, stock or aftermarket. ProsAdds a few extra horsepower when used on stock or performance pipesReduces under hood temps, prolonging the life of fragile engine parts and hosesEasy to install and more affordable than buying ceramic coated partsCustom wrap anything you wantHeader & Exhaust Wrap
Heatshield Lava Exhaust Wrap

Cons

Only insulates the outside of exhaust partsExhaust wraps may absorb moisture from the road and cause rusting if your tubes aren’t made from stainless steel

This prolongs the life of hoses, wires and other temperature-sensitive accessories under the hood.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Not sure how I missed this thread. Your CJ7 is looking great! I miss mine a lot. Crazy it's all Bronco underneath! Can't wait to see how it progresses, Subscribed!

Thanks.
It's a bronco that identifies as a jeep. I don't know which bathroom it should use

More to come

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Listed below are some pros and cons to to consider if you decide to coat or wrap your headers.

In my personal experience with wrapping headers you will be surprised just how fast they will rust out and this was on a modded mustang. So it never seen a water crossing or large puddles.

Ceramic Coated Headers

Ceramic Coated Exhaust Parts
This is a spray-on finish that’s infused with heat-insulating ceramics. It is not a DIY solution, these exhaust parts are coated at the factory, or sent to a facility with the proper equipment.

Pros

Provides the biggest horsepower gains when compared to other exhaust insulation methods Reduces under-hood temperatures better. The ceramic coating is applied evenly on both the inside and outside of the exhaust pipes, preventing “hot spots” that can cause metal fatigue Improves the laminar flow of your exhaust gasses Prevents rust and corrosion of the ceramic coated parts.

Ceramic Coated Headers

Cons

High-quality, ceramic coated exhaust parts are more expensive Manufacturers use a special process to apply the coating. While the coating is durable, the part will have to be sent back to them for repair if you manage to chip it Coatings may dull in appearance over timeHeader & Exhaust

Exhaust Wrap

This is a fiberglass or composite fabric that wraps around, and insulates, exhaust system components. It is a DIY solution that can be added to nearly any exhaust part, stock or aftermarket. ProsAdds a few extra horsepower when used on stock or performance pipesReduces under hood temps, prolonging the life of fragile engine parts and hosesEasy to install and more affordable than buying ceramic coated partsCustom wrap anything you wantHeader & Exhaust Wrap
Heatshield Lava Exhaust Wrap

Cons

Only insulates the outside of exhaust partsExhaust wraps may absorb moisture from the road and cause rusting if your tubes aren’t made from stainless steel

This prolongs the life of hoses, wires and other temperature-sensitive accessories under the hood.

Wow
Thanks for the info NickZambo
I am going to wrap since the headers are already leaking and rusty just to see if it helps. If it does and they rust out fast I'll look for some ceramic coated ones and replace them.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Working on the tube fenders install. Thought it would be easier to install the header wrap with the fenders off

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465067941.195304.jpg

Rears first

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Fronts going in

Thinking if I run it without the fender liner and it still wants to overheat then no point in wrapping the headers

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465092519.158766.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465092531.989759.jpg

thardy

Banned
If it's having trouble over heating, wrapping the headers will help cut down on under hood temps.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
If it's having trouble over heating, wrapping the headers will help cut down on under hood temps.

Correct
Gets pretty hot under the hood.
I'm just thinking if I take the CJ7 (aka morphodite) out and climb up the same hill with my hood off and fenders wide open AND it still overheats then it isn't an airflow or under the hood temp problem.

thardy

Banned
Correct
Gets pretty hot under the hood.
I'm just thinking if I take the CJ7 (aka morphodite) out and climb up the same hill with my hood off and fenders wide open AND it still overheats then it isn't an airflow or under the hood temp problem.

That makes sense. Would have made sense if I had actually read some of the previous posts. Good luck getting it sorted!

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Your local Target will have the answer.

I hope you get this thing fixed. It will be interesting to see what happens with more ambient air flow.

I was thinking the same thing. We named it morphodite 20 years ago and never thought about that.

Just took it out to try it without the hood.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465149170.659353.jpg

Temp still went up on the climb. No difference.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465149235.930851.jpg

I'm thinking it must be running too lean or maybe the ethanol in the gas.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Pulled the spark plugs and looks like it's running too lean
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465223541.782574.jpg

Tried to richen the mixture but runs worse.
Might try a new fuel injection system

Any recommendations?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pulled the spark plugs and looks like it's running too lean
View attachment 206979

Tried to richen the mixture but runs worse.
Might try a new fuel injection system

Any recommendations?

What carb are you running now? I ran a Howell TBI to replace the Carter BBD on the 258 that I had on my old CJ7 and it worked great.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
What carb are you running now? I ran a Howell TBI to replace the Carter BBD on the 258 that I had on my old CJ7 and it worked great.

Running a Holley fuel injection system. It's 20 years old now. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465224348.766103.jpg
This is what the computer looks like.

How long have you had the Howell TBI?
Edit- how long did you run it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom