Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Suggestion, since we have 112 pages on this topic now, and it seems to be a semi fun bashing of overland setup vehicles, may I suggest going over to a different forum for a few minutes and looking up a thread on expedition vehicles(overland) there are over 3000 posts on the subject and it seem it has not gone the direction of this one.
While there look up posts by a guy named Mark Doiron, Expedition stuff and photography are what he does and he is good at it . Maybe his insight will help folks out when talking overland. Look on the JKForum ,like I said over 3000 posts on the subject,and some damn nice photos too. Mark may be a member here, but I haven't noticed him in these posts. Anyway, check it out. It will be worth your time.

LOL!

When you have a chance go to the destinations and beyond section and this forum and look up the trips that a lot of us take. Most if not all of them are far more of an adventure then anything I've seen that guy take. Anyway check it out. It will be worth your time.

TrailBear

Suggestion, since we have 112 pages on this topic now, and it seems to be a semi fun bashing of overland setup vehicles, may I suggest going over to a different forum for a few minutes and looking up a thread on expedition vehicles(overland) there are over 3000 posts on the subject and it seem it has not gone the direction of this one.
While there look up posts by a guy named Mark Doiron, Expedition stuff and photography are what he does and he is good at it . Maybe his insight will help folks out when talking overland. Look on the JKForum ,like I said over 3000 posts on the subject,and some damn nice photos too. Mark may be a member here, but I haven't noticed him in these posts. Anyway, check it out. It will be worth your time.

This thread was not about bashing over landers, it was about what makes an overlanding rig? Some try to say moby is a rock crawler, but Eddie did not build him for just rocks or just mud, or just fire roads, he built a rig that can go anywhere and everywhere, and he asked what is the difference between his rig and one that has been classed overland?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Suggestion, since we have 112 pages on this topic now, and it seems to be a semi fun bashing of overland setup vehicles...

To be clear, that's how you've chosen to see it. Nobody I know has been bashing ANY Jeep setup, just the pretentious people who have taken the time to come up with a name like "overland" to describe the way they have their Jeep built up and as if it somehow gives it more meaning.

...may I suggest going over to a different forum for a few minutes and looking up a thread on expedition vehicles(overland) there are over 3000 posts on the subject and it seem it has not gone the direction of this one.

May I suggest that you spend more of your time on that forum. Certainly, you seem to be the kind of guy that wants to be around people who all agree with you instead of broadening your horizons, seeing things with a more open mind and having fun with people who may think differently than you.

While there look up posts by a guy named Mark Doiron, Expedition stuff and photography are what he does and he is good at it . Maybe his insight will help folks out when talking overland.

Or, why not just look here:

http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Destinations-amp-Beyond

There's a guy who goes by the moniker "wayoflife" and he and his wife take their Jeep on off-road adventures and photographs/films them - it's what they do and maybe, their insight will help folks out when talking about wheeling and having fun with friends while they take their Jeeps to remote locations and explore all that this country has to offer. We may not be any good at it but, we do have a good time. Of course, there are tons of members who do the same thing only, they don't call it "expedition" or "overland". :crazyeyes:

Look on the JKForum ,like I said over 3000 posts on the subject,and some damn nice photos too. Mark may be a member here, but I haven't noticed him in these posts. Anyway, check it out. It will be worth your time.

LOL!! That's my old forum where I have something like 36,000 posts. You'd have to search under the topics such as Jeeps, wheeling, off-roading, exploring, history and geology but, I have a few posts like that there. I'd say to check them out but, being that it doesn't contain the words "overland" or "expedition", it'll probably not be worth your time. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This thread was not about bashing over landers, it was about what makes an overlanding rig? Some try to say moby is a rock crawler, but Eddie did not build him for just rocks or just mud, or just fire roads, he built a rig that can go anywhere and everywhere, and he asked what is the difference between his rig and one that has been classed overland?

BINGO! :yup:

TrailBear

BINGO! :yup:

As a matter of fact I'm going to head out soon to do some "overlanding" lol my destination? The Gordon river caves, exploring things like this is what the jeep wayalife is all about:) side note, I meant to quote my post as well

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I know this thread has taken many directions, but I don't think overlanding is a Jeep term, nor was it intended to be. Jeeps are overland vehicles straight from the factory. They can go anywhere in stock form. The term probably started in the car scene, where people were modifying their vehicles to take on "dirt roads"...like how to turn your civic into an overland vehicle (beefier tires, etc.) Calling a jeep an overland vehicle seems a bit redundant. I personally think words like overland or expedition are generally useful to describe your vehicle to someone that has no idea about the offroading life. I find that I use the term expedition to describe the build direction I went with, simply because it's an easy visual for most, nothing else.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey sorry to have pissed in you folks post toasties, It was not my intention to do so. I must say as a new guy here on Way of Life, and with 42 years of offroading ,and just to keep it in the Jeep category , 16 Jeep vehicles so far. I do not claim to have more knowledge that some with a few years experience that are on this site, I read the entire thread, and it seemed to me that the answer may be found where I told folks to go look, Nothing more, again ,sorry for causing the problem.
I have been on forums since the old BBS days ,and am on 15-20 now (most are not dealing with Jeeps). I must say that I have never had this many negative comments from posters, over Anything I have posted (and I am on some really political forums) much less the site owner. So I must have really done something I shouldn't have. Once again I apologize for giving an opinion. Merry Christmas!!!

:cheesy: you certainly don't act your age. You clearly didn't read the entire thread if you are this butthurt over the responses people gave you.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Really! After one post I get this, and your message above!

" May I suggest that you spend more of your time on that forum. Certainly, you seem to be the kind of guy that wants to be around people who all agree with you instead of broadening your horizons, seeing things with a more open mind and having fun with people who may think differently than you."

After reading this I would say You folks are pretty happy being with folks that agree with you too! By the way I have looked at the posts on this site , nothing wrong with them , if fact quite good. My opinion was the other place dealt with vehicles set up For expedition (overland) and may give insight as to the differences with vehicles set up for multi tasks. Which I took right or wrong as the reason for the thread. Nothing more.

What makes any of the rigs on 40's not set up for expedition?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey sorry to have pissed in you folks post toasties, It was not my intention to do so.

:cheesy: LOL!! I know it's probably hard for you but, don't flatter yourself. Just because you don't like the response you got doesn't mean anyone is pissed.

I must say as a new guy here on Way of Life, and with 42 years of offroading ,and just to keep it in the Jeep category , 16 Jeep vehicles so far.

:yawn37: I suppose this is the part where we're supposed to be impressed. :rolleyes2:

I do not claim to have more knowledge that some with a few years experience that are on this site...

Sure you do, that's why you made sure to let us all know how many years you've been off roading and, just to keep it in the Jeep category, just how many Jeeps you've had so far. :rolleyes2:

I read the entire thread...

Could have fooled me.

...and it seemed to me that the answer may be found where I told folks to go look, Nothing more, again ,sorry for causing the problem.

Again, nothing to apologize for. The only problem here is that you assume folks here are looking for your pre-conceived idea of an answer but, most guys like you all do.

I have been on forums since the old BBS days ,and am on 15-20 now (most are not dealing with Jeeps).

:yawn37: Blah, blah, blah - we get it. You're the kind of guy that thinks highly of himself because of how long you've been on forums and how many you're still apart of. Well, for better or for worse, I have been on forums since the old BBS days too and I suppose it should be no surprise that guys like you never change.

I must say that I have never had this many negative comments from posters, over Anything I have posted (and I am on some really political forums) much less the site owner. So I must have really done something I shouldn't have.

Again, just because you don't like what you hear doesn't mean that the comments you have gotten were "negative". Being that you claim to be on some "really political forums", I'm surprised that you've never heard of a dissenting point of view let alone be able to handle one like a person your age should be able to. :naw:

Once again I apologize for giving an opinion. Merry Christmas!!!

Honestly, if you should apologize for something, it's the fact that you keep on apologizing for nothing.

Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

JAGS

Hooked

" May I suggest that you spend more of your time on that forum. Certainly, you seem to be the kind of guy that wants to be around people who all agree with you instead of broadening your horizons, seeing things with a more open mind and having fun with people who may think differently than you."

After reading this I would say You folks are pretty happy being with folks that agree with you too! By the way I have looked at the posts on this site , nothing wrong with them , if fact quite good. My opinion was the other place dealt with vehicles set up For expedition (overland) and may give insight as to the differences with vehicles set up for multi tasks. Which I took right or wrong as the reason for the thread. Nothing more.

Not really the reason for thread. We're not trying to "look up" or "see pics" of overlanders. Thus the responses your getting.

You also came on here and asked us all to leave and look at another forum. Like we don't know they are out there. We like seeing jeeps and our buddies hitting trails.

FWIW, I'm in process of planning an overland trip with some friends and my stock jeep will do just fine. 👍

- Jason

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

After reading this I would say You folks are pretty happy being with folks that agree with you too!

:cheesy: Wow, you really are the kind of guy that chooses to believe whatever he wants to believe! In case you have missed it, everyone here LOVES it when self-important guys like you come on to a thread like this with his self-righteous drivel. In spite of your myopic vision of the world, we appreciate your dissenting opinion and enjoy discussing it. If you've really read though this entire thread, you will see that we always welcome and love the open discussion of different ideas. Of course you would rather just tell people to go to another forum where they can find people and posts that agree with you. :naw:

By the way I have looked at the posts on this site , nothing wrong with them , if fact quite good. My opinion was the other place dealt with vehicles set up For expedition (overland) and may give insight as to the differences with vehicles set up for multi tasks.

And exactly what is a vehicle set up for "expedition (overland)"? Please do give us "insight as to the differences with vehicles set up for multi tasks" here in America. That in a nutshell IS what this thread was all about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My bad. I'm still learning these forum things. Only been around them for like 9 years. Certainly not 40.

Noob!! If you had just been wearing that fact on your shirt sleeves the way those who are experienced in the ways of the internet do, I would have known to not even acknowledge your existence. :rolleyes2:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not really the reason for thread. We're not trying to "look up" or "see pics" of overlanders. Thus the responses your getting.

You also came on here and asked us all to leave and look at another forum. Like we don't know they are out there. We like seeing jeeps and our buddies hitting trails.

FWIW, I'm in process of planning an overland trip with some friends and my stock jeep will do just fine. 👍

- Jason

Where? I never got my invite.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok guys, I would still like to be a part of this forum. Like the name says WAYALIFE ! Thanks for the time.

Great! So how about you answer the question I asked. In your own words, (please don't tell me to go looking at some other guys post on another forum) exactly what is a vehicle set up for "expedition (overland)"? Please give us "insight as to the differences with vehicles set up for multi tasks" as used here in America. That in a nutshell IS what this thread was all about in the first place.

Top Bottom