Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

I feel that the terms "overlander" and "rockcrawler" are more used to describe the person operating that vehicle rather than the build of the vehicle itself. A rockcrawler and an overlander could be very close in build, but the user simply has a different idea of what that build is meant for.

I also have an idea that the term rock-crawler could be used for a more extreme build and overlander as a more reasonable build with the desire to explore. If I were to call my jeep a true rockcrawler I would picture myself on 37" to 40" tires, almost no fenders, light weight everything, and a true hardcore lift and the EXPECTATION that I will be leaving the trail with a broken something. I don't have the funds to do anything like that, my jeep still needs to have the ability to commute 200 miles a day (true story) and my main goal is to explore where most people cannot.

Can both vehicles do this? HELL YES. Can the rockcrawler get everywhere an overlander can? OF COURSE (Probably better). But I can feel good calling my mild lift (19/60 springs on a 2door), 33" mud tires, and manual transmission an overlander and still feel relevant to the jeeping community. I wish I had 40" tires, built axles, 4.88 gears and full lockers front and rear. But I'm in my mid 20's and putting my fiancé through med school. But shit, I still want to be able to park next to you Beasts and have a good conversation, have you compliment my Jeep and still feel I serve a purpose! :) I love the extreme builds, I love the mild build, I LOVE JEEPS. You guys are awesome. *end rant*

Tombstone

I totally agree with aboves assessment, What I get tired of is the put down from the (Rock Crawler set) that your Jeep is c--p if you don't have the 6" lift and 45" tires....I could go on but why. I am just trying to making friends with the love of 4wheeling...and like above I don't have the budget for a King Of Hammers runner... I need a DD use too, so I can't make a Jeep buggy. Your buddy from Dynatrac made the snide comment about Overlanding in your Mid America vid, Way to make sales guy! Just go on your weird/funny pics and how many times do they make fun of someone with a 30 axle. Come on guys , aren't we past High School. I join this website because the people I saw look like they were fun and have a good time, so next time think before you put down someone because they like the idea of Overland and set up that way...I don't say things about the very capable Rock Crawlers, but my body and wallet is to beat up to do that kind of driving............

PS. just my two cents and that may even be worth that much........we are all Jeepers!!

WJCO

Meme King
I totally agree with aboves assessment, What I get tired of is the put down from the (Rock Crawler set) that your Jeep is c--p if you don't have the 6" lift and 45" tires....I could go on but why. I am just trying to making friends with the love of 4wheeling...and like above I don't have the budget for a King Of Hammers runner... I need a DD use too, so I can't make a Jeep buggy. Your buddy from Dynatrac made the snide comment about Overlanding in your Mid America vid, Way to make sales guy! Just go on your weird/funny pics and how many times do they make fun of someone with a 30 axle. Come on guys , aren't we past High School. I join this website because the people I saw look like they were fun and have a good time, so next time think before you put down someone because they like the idea of Overland and set up that way...I don't say things about the very capable Rock Crawlers, but my body and wallet is to beat up to do that kind of driving............

PS. just my two cents and that may even be worth that much........we are all Jeepers!!

Where did this come from? Who made fun of a rig? Or was this meant to be posted elsewhere?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that the terms "overlander" and "rockcrawler" are more used to describe the person operating that vehicle rather than the build of the vehicle itself.

Interesting. And what term do you think would fit a guy like me? :thinking:

A rockcrawler and an overlander could be very close in build, but the user simply has a different idea of what that build is meant for.

So why have a term to describe anything at all? Why can't we just call our Jeeps, "Jeeps" and if they're built up, we just call them "built up Jeeps" :idontknow:

I also have an idea that the term rock-crawler could be used for a more extreme build and overlander as a more reasonable build with the desire to explore. If I were to call my jeep a true rockcrawler I would picture myself on 37" to 40" tires, almost no fenders, light weight everything, and a true hardcore lift and the EXPECTATION that I will be leaving the trail with a broken something. I don't have the funds to do anything like that, my jeep still needs to have the ability to commute 200 miles a day (true story) and my main goal is to explore where most people cannot.

To be clear, this is just your "idea" of how you've "chosen" to see things.

Can both vehicles do this? HELL YES. Can the rockcrawler get everywhere an overlander can? OF COURSE (Probably better). But I can feel good calling my mild lift (19/60 springs on a 2door), 33" mud tires, and manual transmission an overlander and still feel relevant to the jeeping community. I wish I had 40" tires, built axles, 4.88 gears and full lockers front and rear. But I'm in my mid 20's and putting my fiancé through med school. But shit, I still want to be able to park next to you Beasts and have a good conversation, have you compliment my Jeep and still feel I serve a purpose! :) I love the extreme builds, I love the mild build, I LOVE JEEPS. You guys are awesome. *end rant*

And I too LOVE JEEPS - stock to mildly built to extreme. I own all of the above. To me, they're all just "Jeeps" :yup:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Interesting. And what term do you think would fit a guy like me? :thinking:

So why have a term to describe anything at all? Why can't we just call our Jeeps, "Jeeps" and if they're built up, we just call them "built up Jeeps" :idontknow:

To be clear, this is just your "idea" of how you've "chosen" to see things.

And I too LOVE JEEPS - stock to mildly built to extreme. I own all of the above. To me, they're all just "Jeeps" :yup:

Don't worry, you weren't the only one lost reading that post.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with aboves assessment, What I get tired of is the put down from the (Rock Crawler set) that your Jeep is c--p if you don't have the 6" lift and 45" tires....I could go on but why.

Well, to be fair, I kind of get a good laugh at sky high Jeeps running stupid big tires as they look like something out of the 1980's as opposed to being functional but hey, to each their own and really, that's just me. If someone with a Jeep like that is putting you down for your Jeep for whatever reason they might have, clearly, they're just a douchebag. That being said, if you're so sensitive that anything they might have to say would get under your skin, well, maybe you should be asking yourself why that is.

I am just trying to making friends with the love of 4wheeling...and like above I don't have the budget for a King Of Hammers runner... I need a DD use too, so I can't make a Jeep buggy.

Well, you're not off to a good start. Certainly, stereotyping people and giving them labels isn't going to help you much. Just sayin :crazyeyes:

Your buddy from Dynatrac made the snide comment about Overlanding in your Mid America vid, Way to make sales guy!

LOL!! I for the life of me cannot even begin to think of what video you're referring to or exactly who said what to get you so butthurt.

Just go on your weird/funny pics and how many times do they make fun of someone with a 30 axle. Come on guys , aren't we past High School.

Maybe it's just me but among my friends, I don't know a SINGLE ONE who would take offense to ANYTHING ANYONE said about ANYTHING on their Jeep ESPECIALLY if it was meant as a put down. Of course, all my friends are grown men, are secure in themselves and have a sense of humor. :yup:

I join this website because the people I saw look like they were fun and have a good time...

Ummm, you saw correctly. The people here ARE having a GREAT TIME and TONS of FUN! You on the other hand are self-righteously standing on the outside, judging us and looking down at what you don't like.

so next time think before you put down someone because they like the idea of Overland and set up that way...I don't say things about the very capable Rock Crawlers, but my body and wallet is to beat up to do that kind of driving............

So, the next time you want to stereotype people and self-righteously put them down people because of the labels you seem determined to embrace... most of us don't give a hoot about what you can afford or how you want to build up your Jeep or why.

I agree, we are in fact all "just" Jeepers!! But hey, that's just me. :cool:

mo0s3

I always thought the term Overlanding was to conquer anything nature throws at you. Heck throw a RTT your rock crawler and you most likely gonna go many more places then a regular overland rig . Just a lot more top Heavy lol. Like all my jeep buddies say about me ..... I may be the Shit in camp but I'm SHIT on the trail lol. That said here's what my build looks like [emoji16] ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455230946.528310.jpg
I have to go a lot slower when crawling an extra 130 lbs up top stinks for off camber stuff .

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Nobody is gonna make fun of you cause you can't afford a KOH type rig. Hell most of us probably can't, I know I can't. But that's not even what I want per say or what I'm about. I hate most of those rigs with the exception of a few, Mels rig is one of them. Cause of what all he does with it.

The term "overlander" or overlanding I think gets misused a lot, specially in the USA. A lot of people build their rigs strictly for that and then they are kind of useless for other things. But then you have rigs like Mel's, Eddie and Cindy's, etc that can go from a daily driver to a weekend warrior, to all out wheeler, to overlanding with very little effort. I'm not a fan of the roof top tents but others are. I'd rather just pack a tent in the back and not worry about the added weight on top. Then when I get done and arrive at the house, I can unload it easier. Plus I can use it for other camping opportunities. Not to mention it's probably cheaper than a roof top unit. That doesn't mean those are crap and that you shouldn't do that if that's what you want.

Same could be said about everything else. Sure we all prob want pro rocks and 40s and v8s but it isn't practical for everybody either. There's been people on here that have wheeled a lot on a budget boost and 35s. [emoji106]

Mod your jeep how it works for you and how you can afford it. Then get out and play with it. That's the fun part of it.

You can always keep building as time and money allows. Jeeps are hardly ever done. Lol.

Tombstone

:cheesy:.............
Eddie, you read it wrong, just go on the funny pics/ ugly jeep pics thread and read the comments, and your Mech from Dynatac showing disdain for Overlanding in the Middle America video, a great video too. I am not making it up.. Eddie like the last video you did with a stock Jeep and your Remmi are why I thought this was a very cool group to hang with, Great Video by the way. Run what you brung and we will get there together. When you have a pretty stock Jeep and read all the put down about running 30's and not the right tires it becomes a turn-off. I wish I could build my half as much as you guys have but I can't.....I know it sounds like sniveling about it but look at it from the other side, I note there are other people on here that say they Overland, :cheesy: is they seem to be calling us who do dumb( and that's being nice). I have much respect for you, Eddie and your head group but it would be nice if you really take to heart what I said...... look close at what is said in some threads...

JAGS

Hooked
Eddie, you read it wrong, just go on the funny pics/ ugly jeep pics thread and read the comments, and your Mech from Dynatac showing disdain for Overlanding in the Middle America video, a great video too. I am not making it up.. Eddie like the last video you did with a stock Jeep and your Remmi are why I thought this was a very cool group to hang with, Great Video by the way. Run what you brung and we will get there together. When you have a pretty stock Jeep and read all the put down about running 30's and not the right tires it becomes a turn-off. I wish I could build my half as much as you guys have but I can't.....I know it sounds like sniveling about it but look at it from the other side, I note there are other people on here that say they Overland, :cheesy: is they seem to be calling us who do dumb( and that's being nice). I have much respect for you, Eddie and your head group but it would be nice if you really take to heart what I said...... look close at what is said in some threads...

I think you are reading it wrong.

Running 30 axle on a stock jeep, who cares. Not one person on WAL cares. Running 30 on a built, who cares. Not one person on WAL cares. Say that a 30 on a built jeep will last because it is trussed and sleeved, now people may have an opinion. Those opinion are often based on fact and personal experiences. BUt they are opinions and this is the internet.

It's always funny to me how many folks poke fun at WAL for not supporting the everyman Jeeper. That's just BS. I was part of the forum posting my own bullshit in random picture threads for two years, all the while my Jeep was bone stock JKUR. Nobody made fun of me because my Jeep was stock. Or because I had trimmed fenders, rock guards and sliders on a stock rubicon ( OK maybe a little), but they made fun of shit I posted, or something I said was gay or other shit.

Ya know what, here I am, still posting away 3+ years later. Still don't wrench on my Jeep. Still can't name many parts. But now I have slightly thicker skin. And when I do or say something dumb, I get called out just the same. It's part of being in the Wayalife family. If your brothers an sisters can't make fun of you, then what good is having them. This is all just internet forum. We're lucky if we make some lasting friendships out of it. It's supposed to be fun.

If people become so sensitive to every word, life will suck. Those who can get past that or grow past that, usually find this a lot of fun!!!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Eddie and Cindy didn't make that video retard.

WJCO

Meme King
I think you are reading it wrong.

Running 30 axle on a stock jeep, who cares. Not one person on WAL cares. Running 30 on a built, who cares. Not one person on WAL cares. Say that a 30 on a built jeep will last because it is trussed and sleeved, now people may have an opinion. Those opinion are often based on fact and personal experiences. BUt they are opinions and this is the internet.

It's always funny to me how many folks poke fun at WAL for not supporting the everyman Jeeper. That's just BS. I was part of the forum posting my own bullshit in random picture threads for two years, all the while my Jeep was bone stock JKUR. Nobody made fun of me because my Jeep was stock. Or because I had trimmed fenders, rock guards and sliders on a stock rubicon ( OK maybe a little), but they made fun of shit I posted, or something I said was gay or other shit.

Ya know what, here I am, still posting away 3+ years later. Still don't wrench on my Jeep. Still can't name many parts. But now I have slightly thicker skin. And when I do or say something dumb, I get called out just the same. It's part of being in the Wayalife family. If your brothers an sisters can't make fun of you, then what good is having them. This is all just internet forum. We're lucky if we make some lasting friendships out of it. It's supposed to be fun.

If people become so sensitive to every word, life will suck. Those who can get past that or grow past that, usually find this a lot of fun!!!

Exactly! :thumb:

When I originally posted earlier, I truly was confused. You didn't quote anybody during your post and it came out of nowhere IMO. Overlanding is a bullshit term. There isnt' really a definition as far as I care. It's about getting in your Jeep and having fun. Built or not built. I've posted this video before because I think this guy nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYy59pMbiA

Tombstone

Eddie and Cindy didn't make that video retard.

So we go to name calling,like I said High School again and where did I put down WAL, I still say this is the group to be with and have fun. Overlander I didn't say word about you. Just check out the pics I talked about then make you call. As far as the Videos go I didn't read all the credits, I assumed, sorry but that still doesn't call for the name calling, really! I was looking for a good group to hang and learn from but the response doesn't look that way. all I was saying a snorkel and rack doesn't mean finger pointing and ridicule. And if I don't agree with you I am a (take your pick). Seeing people in the vids it seems like the best group you could go with but what I am getting here, not so much...

I didn't make that Idiot's video and that's like fighting for the Second Admin. and some -------- shoots up a school....what can I say to that, as far as going back through all those pics and Vids to highlight , sorry not me,

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So we go to name calling,like I said High School again and where did I put down WAL, I still say this is the group to be with and have fun. Overlander I didn't say word about you. Just check out the pics I talked about then make you call. As far as the Videos go I didn't read all the credits, I assumed, sorry but that still doesn't call for the name calling, really! I was looking for a good group to hang and learn from but the response doesn't look that way. all I was saying a snorkel and rack doesn't mean finger pointing and ridicule. And if I don't agree with you I am a (take your pick). Seeing people in the vids it seems like the best group you could go with but what I am getting here, not so much...

Poor me poor me.

"I'm just here to wheel and meet people"
"I thought you guys were different"
"Guess I won't be staying here"

I've heard them all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, you read it wrong, just go on the funny pics/ ugly jeep pics thread and read the comments...
Whatever your real name is, I read nothing wrong and really, I don't have a clue as to what thread you're talking about nor could I care less what was said on the internet. It is after all, JUST THE INTERNET. :rolleyes2:

..and your Mech from Dynatac showing disdain for Overlanding in the Middle America video, a great video too. I am not making it up..

The OWNER of Dynatrac is my friend and I don't know what "mech" you're referring to. Likewise, I haven't been on a JK-Experience since 2014 so whatever video you're referring to wasn't made by me nor do I have any idea what you're talking about. :naw:

Eddie like the last video you did with a stock Jeep and your Remmi are why I thought this was a very cool group to hang with, Great Video by the way. Run what you brung and we will get there together. When you have a pretty stock Jeep and read all the put down about running 30's and not the right tires it becomes a turn-off.

I don't know how old you are but if you're getting butthurt over something that's said on the internet and not even necessarily about you directly, you've got a BIG surprise coming your way. Once you grow up, you're going to find that there are a lot of people who aren't going to tell you what you want to hear and if you can't toughen up, you're going to get stepped again and again and over a whole lot of nothing.

I wish I could build my half as much as you guys have but I can't.....

To be clear, you're the only one here who seems to care.

I know it sounds like sniveling about it but look at it from the other side, I note there are other people on here that say they Overland, :cheesy: is they seem to be calling us who do dumb( and that's being nice).

First off, the only thing that I think is dumb is why anyone would feel the need to label themselves something like an "overlander" but hey, that's just me. Second, why you would care so much about what other people think is more than just dumb, it's sad.

I have much respect for you, Eddie and your head group but it would be nice if you really take to heart what I said...... look close at what is said in some threads...

I don't know you from Adam but from what I have seen in your posts thus far, I have to say that I have very little respect for you.

Top Bottom