Rubicon trail for the first time

Jk909

Hey guys I want to run the rubicon trail with some family but none of us have ever done it. My question is do we need a guide or can we just pick up a map and go for it? I'm also concerned about the capability of our jeeps. I have a 2dr jk on 35's and my uncle has a tj with lsd and 33's. Any advise would be much appreciated.

spinuck

This time of year you can probably follow the tire tracks, oil drips or the other traffic. There are times when it's tough to tell which way the trail leads. A 2dr on 35s should be okay. I assume your jeep has recovery gear and sliders.

Jk909

This time of year you can probably follow the tire tracks, oil drips or the other traffic. There are times when it's tough to tell which way the trail leads. A 2dr on 35s should be okay. I assume your jeep has recovery gear and sliders.

I have tow straps, high lift jack, sliders and am considering a new front bumper with a winch if necessary? I'm also curious as to what consist of a spill kit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys I want to run the rubicon trail with some family but none of us have ever done it. My question is do we need a guide or can we just pick up a map and go for it? I'm also concerned about the capability of our jeeps. I have a 2dr jk on 35's and my uncle has a tj with lsd and 33's. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Bypass the Little Sluice and take the slabs as opposed to the Old sluice and in a 2-Door with 35's, you should do fine. You can wiggle your way through with an TJ on 33's as well. The bypass at little sluice is to the left of the porta-potties and up and over the granite. When you get to the Old Sluice marker, go to the left down the granite slabs. Aside from that, there are a few tricky and confusing areas if you're not familiar with the trail but, if you pick the wrong way, you'll know soon enough.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have tow straps, high lift jack, sliders and am considering a new front bumper with a winch if necessary? I'm also curious as to what consist of a spill kit?

Winch is not necessary but always good to have just in case. A typical spill kit will consist of absorbent pads and a means to collect spilled fluids as well as a way to haul it out.

Jk909

Thanks Eddie. All of the pictures in this forum are driving me nuts. I can't wait to see it myself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. All of the pictures in this forum are driving me nuts. I can't wait to see it myself.

What time are you planning to run it? You need to be aware that the last week of July and the first week of August is a no go as the Jeepers Jamboree take over the trail.

Rccrwlr

We ran it last year in a CJ5 with 33's, rear locker and winch. Used all of the above and the sliders a ton. Tie rods and drag links hit several times and had to bend them back and then sleeve them. With the smaller rig we were able to go around a lot of obstacles that the 4dr had to go over. It was a huge challenge compared to the larger rigs.

To someone that had no idea of where to go, the trail seems pretty straight forward. We had the advantage of following the one and only CrippledPetey and he made things easy. Would I want to go back without having someone that is very familiar with the trail, no. It just makes things more fun but then again sometimes the challenge is the fun.

Do what your doing, lots of research and question asking. Prepare and have fun!

Jk909

What time are you planning to run it? You need to be aware that the last week of July and the first week of August is a no go as the Jeepers Jamboree take over the trail.

Thanks for the heads up. I was actually planning on going the last week of July. When would you say is the best time to go?

Jk909

We ran it last year in a CJ5 with 33's, rear locker and winch. Used all of the above and the sliders a ton. Tie rods and drag links hit several times and had to bend them back and then sleeve them. With the smaller rig we were able to go around a lot of obstacles that the 4dr had to go over. It was a huge challenge compared to the larger rigs.

To someone that had no idea of where to go, the trail seems pretty straight forward. We had the advantage of following the one and only CrippledPetey and he made things easy. Would I want to go back without having someone that is very familiar with the trail, no. It just makes things more fun but then again sometimes the challenge is the fun.

Do what your doing, lots of research and question asking. Prepare and have fun!

I would love for some fellow wayalifers to join too. Once I set a date I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all of your advise

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually planning on going the last week of July. When would you say is the best time to go?

The best time to go? In my opinion, September or even early October. The crowds are gone and you can literally have the trail all to yourself. There are no mosquitos and the weather is still really nice. That's my all time favorite time to go.

Jk909

The best time to go? In my opinion, September or even early October. The crowds are gone and you can literally have the trail all to yourself. There are no mosquitos and the weather is still really nice. That's my all time favorite time to go.

Considering the fact that we are looking to get away from the crowd I guess we will just hold off for a little. Thanks as always for your thoughts Eddie. This forum rocks!

Don't give away our secret :bleh: :cheesy:

We have a big group going October 1-4. If you decide to go around that time let me know. We may be able to meet up or help out.

Jk909

We have a big group going October 1-4. If you decide to go around that time let me know. We may be able to meet up or help out.

Thanks man I'll definitely take you up on that offer if work allows me too. Owning my own business really hinders my ability to simply plan a vacation. I usually don't know how busy I'll be until a couple weeks prior

Top Bottom