Rubicon X worth the price?

hillybilly

My son totaled my 2012 rubicon. (He walked away without a scratch) Been heartbroken and Jeepless for a month now! Any opinions on the Rubicon X? Looks like I have until June before I can build so I'll just window shop and decide what I want until then.
Are the bumpers and rocker protection useable or just fluff? None are around my area to check out first hand. Not much hard core rock crawling around here. Lots of clay and steep hills though. So encounters with trees and hillsides are not uncommon. Will be used for hunting, camping, and backwoods exploring. Any opinions appreciated!

trailless

Caught the Bug
I think its worth it. I've heard the end caps are the weak parts of the bumpers. Other than that, I've heard they're stout.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

hillybilly

Lol! It is a sexy hood!... but $4100 for the X package is pretty steep if the bumpers and "rock rails" are useless.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Get it if you like it. Figure you have a free front stubby bumper, a nice hood. A leather wrapped armrest, slightly different guages, and "enhanced rock rails" unique graphics. Worth $4k?? Heh. If you spend $800 on a bumper, $1k on an aev hood, $700 on rock rails. $500 on all the different trinkets and you're not far off.

StrizzyChris

Get it if you like it. Figure you have a free front stubby bumper, a nice hood. A leather wrapped armrest, slightly different guages, and "enhanced rock rails" unique graphics. Worth $4k?? Heh. If you spend $800 on a bumper, $1k on an aev hood, $700 on rock rails. $500 on all the different trinkets and you're not far off.

I'm with him. It's not the desired mods for me, so its not worth it at all. BUT if you like those mods and don't want/plan to replace them, then I'd say its a good deal since you don't have to spend time and/or money on installing bumpers, a hood, and new rails.

I'm with him. It's not the desired mods for me, so its not worth it at all. BUT if you like those mods and don't want/plan to replace them, then I'd say its a good deal since you don't have to spend time and/or money on installing bumpers, a hood, and new rails.

What he said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I bought the wife a Rubicon x. Trying to fix up mine, so didn't have the time or money to do both jeeps. Bumpers aren't the thickest, but I can put a winch in the front and aev carrier in the back. also when I ordered it I didn't get some stuff like the tow package and side air bags and saved some money. I got the 4.10 gears, and the tow package was a 480 dollar option. I just put a 70 dollar hitch and cakes it good. Also had a 500 rebate and a discount from my work. The friends and family one. 1% below dealer cost. In the end she's happy. Guess that's all that matters

Flyer

If you like the look and the options, it will be worth it to you. I did not want black leather (too hot & makes the interior too dark) and wanted saddle leather. I don't like the aesthetics of the bumpers. I do like the hood though. So for me, it wasn't worth it. I still want a vented hood so it is this or the AEV at some point.

WINGER

My X

I purchased my X with the idea that I would spend money on tires, roof rack and a lift vs. bumpers, a hood, then tires, roof rack, and a lift. I have about 6900 miles on my Rubicon X, more than half the miles are trail miles :D(youtube page is Rubicon X) I purchased it last Nov. So far the skid plates and rock rails have held up, I have couple good dents in the skid plates but nothing is broken, I am in no rush to replace them. The bumpers are kinda cheap and light weight, I wish they were thicker. My experience with the rear bumper - I was going over a small drop off and the left corner of the bumper sat on a rock (didn't seem like anything special) but it bent the rear left of the bumper up an inch or so which made me get the feeling that they are for looks only. Also I would never place my front bumper on a rock and try to drive up it as it would most likely bend and get destroyed. On one side I wish I got a rockbrawler light by poison spider and then on the other side not having to spend $2500 for a unique look right from the get go was nice. Bottom line these bumpers are for looks and not for any type of contact. I also took my end caps off right away and put on the 10a stinger bar from Maximus-3 a couple of weeks ago (check out the main page to see some picts of my Jeep - the Granite colored one in the Mts) I love the look of the stinger bar and the 12'' procomp LED on the front of my jeep. Happy Jeepin guys!

tatonka56

I think its worth it. I've heard the end caps are the weak parts of the bumpers. Other than that, I've heard they're stout.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I took my end caps off my Rubi-X the first day I got her, haven't looked back since. Just got into a collision today and the stock bumper held up just fine. Jeep - 1 Camry - 0. :clap2: Gal driving her Camry hit a girl on a bicycle then decided to continue not looking and back into me. Thank God the little girl is going to be okay...and apparently, so is my Jeep!

Attachments

• RubiCrash1.JPG
    RubiCrash1.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 338
  • RubiCrash2.JPG
    RubiCrash2.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 333
  • RubiCrash3.jpg
    RubiCrash3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 336

2012wrangler

At Jeep.com, the Rubicon x starts at 35,095, the sport at 22,395.

I guess the question is what could you do with a sport for almost 13,000?

For my money, the sport is the better option. For starters, will you even keep those wheels? Pick the upgrades yourself and save some money, make it YOUR Jeep. I've never driven a rubicon, but I have heard complaints that the low range is too low, something else to consider.

Just my opinion.

samIam007

Bought my X a week ago. I love it! I nailed a rock with the bumper corner yesterday with no issues. Came down hard on the rails with no bends. It is a very capable package out of the box.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
At Jeep.com, the Rubicon x starts at 35,095, the sport at 22,395.

I guess the question is what could you do with a sport for almost 13,000?

For my money, the sport is the better option. For starters, will you even keep those wheels? Pick the upgrades yourself and save some money, make it YOUR Jeep. I've never driven a rubicon, but I have heard complaints that the low range is too low, something else to consider.

Just my opinion.

I have never heard that from anyone.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I purchased my X with the idea that I would spend money on tires, roof rack and a lift vs. bumpers, a hood, then tires, roof rack, and a lift. I have about 6900 miles on my Rubicon X, more than half the miles are trail miles :D(youtube page is Rubicon X) I purchased it last Nov.

Wow 3450 miles offroad. I wouldn't think that's possible in 7 months.

Top Bottom