SAE Bolts on a Metric Jeep - Is it Really that Big of a Deal??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, on a very very regular basis, I get guys posting up on our YouTube channel bitching about manufacturers who include SAE bolts with the parts they make and being that modern Jeeps are made entirely with metric bolts. Below is an example of what I'm talking about.

leefhead1-01.png
leefhead1-02.png

And, I just have to ask, is it really that big of a deal? And, I ask with all sincerity being that my response to this guy was "damaging to my brand", am I wrong about all this and should I be getting my panties in a twist over imperial bolts on a metric Jeep? What say you?

TheGrendel

So, on a very very regular basis, I get guys posting up on our YouTube channel bitching about manufacturers who include SAE bolts with the parts they make and being that modern Jeeps are made entirely with metric bolts. Below is an example of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 396940
View attachment 396941

And, I just have to ask, is it really that big of a deal? And, I ask with all sincerity being that my response to this guy was "damaging to my brand", am I wrong about all this and should I be getting my panties in a twist over imperial bolts on a metric Jeep? What say you?
personally, i would much prefer all bolts be metric. but, damaging your brand because it doesn't bother you to carry SAE and metric tools is a moronic statement.

Spazbyt

Hooked
This guy has never used tools before if he thinks he can have one set to do everything. I get my tool bag out for other people maybe more than I actually use it for myself so a all metric set wouldn't work for me. Plus your 10mm is missing so you'll need that 3/8.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
personally, i would much prefer all bolts be metric. but, damaging your brand because it doesn't bother you to carry SAE and metric tools is a moronic statement.
To be fair, I too prefer all bolts be metric too. Hell, grown men all butthurt when I ask if I can have the metric bolts after they remove them to install grade 8's they bought as some kind of upgrade. I just don't see why SAE is such a horrible thing and enough so to get a mechanic's panties in a twist.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This guy has never used tools before if he thinks he can have one set to do everything. I get my tool bag out for other people maybe more than I actually use it for myself so a all metric set wouldn't work for me. Plus your 10mm is missing so you'll need that 3/8.
But, but, but, he's a "professional mechanic specializing in electrical diagnostics, drivability, and aftermarket for 16 years, ran endurance racing teams, and currently maintain, calibrate, program, and teach the above for fully autonomous caterpillar haul trucks in a surface mining setting" :ROFLMAO:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s an easy NO, not a big deal at all and as already mentioned, you can easily use metric on SAE if needed, not the end of the world. And if installing new parts in a shop with all your tools handy, is it really that big of a deal to just identify and grab the size you need?

But, "you have to remember which fasteners on which accessories are using SAE and which are using metric or else you risk rounding the hardware off by using the wrong socket". You know, because as a mechanic of 16 years doing all kinds of impressive shit, it's so hard to tell the difference between tick marks on a bolt head versus numbers like 8.8 or 10.9 or the like. (y)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 396940
View attachment 396941

Sounds like the big deal is him. His resume gives me a chub.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the big deal is him. His resume gives me a chub.
LOL - I think what really cracks me up is that all I did was share my opinion. Clearly, that is not allowed especially if it goes against his and doing that is damaging to my brand 🤪

trailraider

You all take tools on the trail?
I'm gonna have to try that. lol.

You can make one set work for must and carry a Saskatchwan all 16th's and you have it made.

And i don't really know anyone who does not already have standard and metric or who wont jump at the chance to buy new tools.
It's not like food , we like buying tools.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You can make one set work for must and carry a Saskatchwan all 16th's and you have it made.

And i don't really know anyone who does not already have standard and metric or who wont jump at the chance to buy new tools.
I like buying food too. #fat

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

10mm is all anyone really needs (y)

jeeeep

Hooked
hmmm.. as a "professional mechanic" I'd assume he already owns full sets of SAE and metric tools, not being able to work on what comes his way will likely ruin his "brand".

Personally, I'd add the SAE socket/wrench to the tool bag, no big deal.

If it it's a bolt with separate washer that may require trail repair, I tend to replace those with flange bolts, I lose washers like 10mm sockets lol

Things like sliders that aren't not coming off anytime soon, no big deal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
hmmm.. as a "professional mechanic" I'd assume he already owns full sets of SAE and metric tools, not being able to work on what comes his way will likely ruin his "brand".
Right?! LOL
Things like sliders that aren't not coming off anytime soon, no big deal.
That's kind of my thing as well. For parts that are designed to go on and stay on, like rocker guards or bumpers, what's the big fricken deal?? Now, if it were something like axle shafts or serviceable parts like brake calipers (not likely), keeping things all factory is ideal for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - I have to say, I'm kind of surprised this guy's post on YT is still up. Typically, guys like him delete their posts after they say goodbye.

Top Bottom