Satellite GPS Messenger’s

Nope didn't offend me at all, was actually quite comical and so was this last response. I don't take what Eddie or any other resident expert here says as gospel and nobody should take mine that way either which is why I encourage people to do their own research. Hence my suggestion of renting a sat phone.

For someone looking to send a couple messages to family and whatnot the other devices are probably sufficient but in the case of an emergency a sat phone is the way to go.

Funny - the whole reason for me getting out of cell range is so that I don’t have to send or receive a few messages.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ha...I agree. I love the fact that I can get into the back county far enough that I cannot receive a text or email...having said that, I do carry an older Delorme Inreach unit whenever I go out...and it's in a small fanny pack with a few other survival items I take with me when I do a hike or fish leaving the Jeep behind...

I'm also considering getting a sat phone as well...I have seen an instance where voice communication in an emergency was critical to saving someone's life...

emergency

but in the case of an emergency a sat phone is the way to go.

That's not what I was told while wheeling in Montana. Met a guy not paying for it, so he does carry a sat phone. Just like your cell phone in 1 bar areas, you can always send/receive texts, but your lucky when you can talk 15 seconds. So he added a DeLorme, when he's in a heavily wooded area, he can always get out a text when he can't use the sat phone. It sometimes takes 15 minutes to get out a text in wooded areas. If it's too heavily wooded, you need to find a clearing.

For most emergencies, the DeLorme does fine. For the ultimate security, have two sat phones (one might fail), two DeLorme's, two hams, etc. It's a CBA (cost benefit analysis), most folks don't want/need two sat phones.

Last edited:
Top Bottom