Savage Build Thread

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Got my Rugged Ridge receiver hitch in the mail today. I don't remember reading it came with the D-ring but it was a nice surprise.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449639261.108587.jpg

I also had some time to work on the track bar which I have been meaning to do since I got my jeep. Whoever installed it did a poor job because it came into contact with the bracket. U can see when the collar use to contact the bracket.

View attachment 175730

Now that I fixed the problem I am hoping I didn't create a new one....

With the collar turned around and not contacting the bracket am I going to run into any problems with the bolt or collar contacting the steering stabilizer when articulating?

View attachment 175729

View attachment 175731

I might be able to turn it a so the bolt is pointing up a little more but wanted to get some feed back.

Have you tried flipping the stabilizer around? Where the bulk of the shock is closer towards the middle? I don't believe it matters how it's placed so it might give the clearance you need! Just my .2cents

Oh and by the way man I love your build! It's coming together awesome! I am right there with you on my build being slow but hey it'll get there eventually right? Cheers man!

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
well it has been awhile since i have update because i have been really busy with work and saving up for jeep parts but i had an opportunity to pick up Eddie's 37" Nittos at Camp WayaLife. you know i couldn't pass the great deal on all 5 tires and make a short weekend vacations of it.

i regret not taking a picture at Eddies place but i hope to be back so i will get one then.
I picked up the tires, it was a tight fit but it worked out.

IMG_6025.jpg
IMG_6029.jpg
IMG_6019.jpg

I decided to take the long way home and drive around the California side of Lake Tahoe and stretch the legs since i haven't been out with the Jeep for awhile.

IMG_6090.jpg
IMG_6083.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg

now i just need to get some beadlocks to go with the new shoes. will probably be giving ORE a call sometime this week.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
well i was the lucky winner of the slabs that were up for auction. Thank you Jake. we will be organizing a time to pick them up next week so that i can hopefully check out his new upgrades as well as finally make a visit at ORE and see where all the magic happens.

Hopefully sometime soon i will have the new to me slabs and Nittos mated together. any advice for someone mounting beadlocks for the first time? will i need to get new valve stems or all new mounting bolts?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
well i was the lucky winner of the slabs that were up for auction. Thank you Jake. we will be organizing a time to pick them up next week so that i can hopefully check out his new upgrades as well as finally make a visit at ORE and see where all the magic happens.

Hopefully sometime soon i will have the new to me slabs and Nittos mated together. any advice for someone mounting beadlocks for the first time? will i need to get new valve stems or all new mounting bolts?

You shouldn't need new valve stems unless they remove them for some reason and bolts should be fine as long as they're all there and in good condition. Just get a couple 5 gallon buckets, one to sit on and one to put your tire and wheel on. I think Mel did a video of mounting up a set, you may be able to find on here or YouTube. I started all the bolts by hand then used my cordless drill to zip them in on a low torque setting. Once they were all snugged I bumped up the torque setting and went in a crisscross pattern until my drill wouldn't torque them any further then switched to a standard torque wrench. Think I started at around 17 then up to 20 and finished at 23. Main thing is to make sure you get the tire bead seated down into the wheel shoulder and get the ring tightened down straight and uniform.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
You shouldn't need new valve stems unless they remove them for some reason. Just get a couple 5 gallon buckets, one to sit on and one to put your tire and wheel on. I think Mel did a video of mounting up a set, you may be able to find on here or YouTube. I started all the bolts by hand then used my cordless drill to zip them in on a low torque setting. Once they were all snugged I bumped up the torque setting and went in a crisscross pattern until my drill wouldn't torque them any further then switched to a standard torque wrench. Think I started at around 17 then up to 20 and finished at 23. Main thing is to make sure you get the tire bead seated down into the wheel shoulder and get the ring tightened down straight and uniform.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I have watch Mel's video a few times. Just a little nervous but excited on attempting it myself. He makes it look so easy and after talking with Eddie he reassured me..... Well, it's not as easy as Mel makes it look. Haha.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks for the reply. Yea I have watch Mel's video a few times. Just a little nervous but excited on attempting it myself. He makes it look so easy and after talking with Eddie he reassured me..... Well, it's not as easy as Mel makes it look. Haha.

It's easier than you think. Hardest part will be wrestling those onto your jeep. Especially the spare. Think my tire and wheel combo weighed in at 131 lbs if I remember right. But don't let the mounting get you nervous. It's easy but time consuming. I did mine over two evenings after work and a few beers.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
That's an awesome, simple mount. If I ever ditch my cobra 75 set-up, this is likely what I will end up doing. Where do you route your power and ground up there? Through the top windshield panels?

Yes I have my routed down the windshield panel. Makes install simple and clean.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Those that have painted there rock ring black what kind of paint did you use?

I know it will get scrapped up when off-roading but I like the look when it's like that over a polished ring.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I was able to pick up my wheels on Friday but things have been a little crazy since Thursday. My girlfriends timing belt in the 2005 Audi broke and causes "catastrophic" engine failure. Never a good word to hear from your mechanic. :( oh well Now I Just need to convince her to get a jeep!:)

But time for the good stuff:

I wanted black rings so here they are laid out for paint
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466375961.786773.jpg

All painted:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466376685.526493.jpg

And I have one ready for some air:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466375976.871621.jpg

Top Bottom