Searching for My Death Wobble source

BChaffins

I seem to always learn a lot from the Wayalife forums and even though it seems to get heated at times sometimes causing a little friction brings out the best.

This has been a good learning experience and for the cost of a few bolts I feel its been worth the ride. And now I own a ball joint puller which can't be a bad thing either. If my wobble is still there in a day or two I'll be heading down the ball joint road I'm sure. Everything else seems to be secure and is properly torqued. I own a fairly good Utica micrometer style torque wrench and it has never failed me yet.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I seem to always learn a lot from the Wayalife forums and even though it seems to get heated at times sometimes causing a little friction brings out the best.

This has been a good learning experience and for the cost of a few bolts I feel its been worth the ride. And now I own a ball joint puller which can't be a bad thing either. If my wobble is still there in a day or two I'll be heading down the ball joint road I'm sure. Everything else seems to be secure and is properly torqued. I own a fairly good Utica micrometer style torque wrench and it has never failed me yet.

How many miles are on the ball joints? They don't last long...

BChaffins

How many miles are on the ball joints? They don't last long...

46k on my 2008 2dr Sahara. I bought it with 40k on it. Still had the original brakes and tires. I'm still running the original tires for a couple more weeks. It seems to have spent a lot of time wet based on the amount of rust on the brake system. I did not see any visible movement when I checked them, but I realize that doesn't tell me everything.

I can't tell you how hard it was driven since I bought it used.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
If your on your 3rd Factory set I guess my question is: Is there a better part then Factory? I was looking at ordering a set of Synergy ball joints.

As mention the Dynatracs are hands down the best, if you can't afford them. The Crown HD ball joints are the same as the polys...

Manvan

Just curious if you found your death wobble? We had a harsh winter with pot holes and such last spring. I had death wobble and found it in me drag link. Replaced both pieces and all was good.

BChaffins

Yes, since I replaced both my front track bar bushings and new bolts the problem has not returned, my wife also made the comment the she is no longer being tossed side to side.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

CrazyLarry

As mention the Dynatracs are hands down the best, if you can't afford them. The Crown HD ball joints are the same as the polys...

I've seen this written before. How exactly do you know they are the same as synergys. Has someone opened then up and compared them? Have samples of the materials been taken and analyzed? Just trying to understand so when I get my next set of balljoints I can save some money and get crowns if they truely are the same

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen this written before. How exactly do you know they are the same as synergys. Has someone opened then up and compared them? Have samples of the materials been taken and analyzed? Just trying to understand so when I get my next set of balljoints I can save some money and get crowns if they truely are the same

It's really no secret. Unless it's made in the USA like Dynatrac, there are only so many overseas manufacturers out there and the one who makes these ball joints is called Yuhuan Nahui. Same goes for gears, they are all made by the same South Korean company only packaged in different boxes. Being that gears are bigger and have information etched into the side of them, you can even see the circle K logo in them which belongs to the company Cha. So long as you're willing to order a minimum of 500 units, you can actually buy these ball joints for about $5 a piece and put them in a box with your name on it. I kid you not.

jedg

Not sure it's been brought up before... the difference between the two bolts (14mm and 9/16") is just 11/1000ths of an inch.

FWIW, I have 78,000 on my stock bolts and no issues and won't switch as I see no reason to. BUT, I thought I would educate myself on the real differences between the two bolts.

As for the difference between Grade 8 and Metric 10.9; I looked at SAE J429 and ISO 898.1 (2013 version). I think it's a wash and so I don't think the argument that the 9/16th bolt is 'better' holds water. If anything, if you're not careful and use the course thread 9/16 (12 threads per inch), you might exceed the torque capacity of the bolt you're using.

I know one argument will be the shoulder present on the 9/16" bolt will make it stronger. Mechanically this is a wash as the threaded area portion will still be the weak point on the bolt. (per http://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/FastenalTechnicalReferenceGuide.pdf).

The next argument for the shouldered bolt is that the shoulder works as a pivot point for rotation. I will argue that if the bolt is properly torqued, this isn't rotated upon. Rather the bushing (that surrounds the bolt) is held in place and the joint rotates around that. This would especially be true with aftermarket joints??

ISO 10.9
Med Carbon Alloy Steel, quenched and tempered
Tensile Strength - minimum 1040 mPa (150,000 psi)
14mm (M14 x 2.00) has a torque load up to 160 ft lbs dry

SAE Grade 8
Med Carbon Alloy Steel, quenched and tempered
Tensile Strength - 150,000 psi (1040 mPa)
9/16" (with 12 threads per inch) has a torque load up to 135 ft lbs dry
9/16" (with 18 threads per inch) has a torque load up to 150 ft lbs dry

Also, both have the same proof load (working tensile strength) of 130,000 psi (900 mPa)

Last edited:
Yes, since I replaced both my front track bar bushings and new bolts the problem has not returned, my wife also made the comment the she is no longer being tossed side to side.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

Speaking of ball joints, did you ever get around to inspecting and replacing the OEM ones you've got?

BChaffins

I have NOT REPLACED my Ball Joints yet. But they are on the short list. I have no doubt that they are due. Life got in the way for now and she's been running fine.

I'm thinking of buying the parts so when I get the bug to do some weekend Jeep work I'll have the parts.

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr
Manual 6sp
AEV 3.5" DualSport
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
TrekArmor seat covers

CrazyLarry

It's really no secret. Unless it's made in the USA like Dynatrac, there are only so many overseas manufacturers out there and the one who makes these ball joints is called Yuhuan Nahui. Same goes for gears, they are all made by the same South Korean company only packaged in different boxes. Being that gears are bigger and have information etched into the side of them, you can even see the circle K logo in them which belongs to the company Cha. So long as you're willing to order a minimum of 500 units, you can actually buy these ball joints for about $5 a piece and put them in a box with your name on it. I kid you not.

Gotcha thanks

Top Bottom