Seven Troughs Nevada Exploration

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The insects pictured are Tarantula Hawks. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

"The tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation. However, the sting, particularly of P. formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, though the intense pain only lasts about three minutes.[3] Commenting on his own experience, Justin Schmidt described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index, second only to that of the bullet ant, and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".[4]"

First time poster, by the way. I have lurked regularly, and enjoy the pictures and write-ups. I'm based in southern NV and have wheeled extensively down here.

:eek: Holy cow!! Had I known, I wouldn't have been stuck my face right next to them :crazyeyes:

TheStick

I have seen these at my place in Placerville :eek:

I looked them up and was freaked out as well. A) The sting sounds terrible. B) Does this mean there are freaking tarantulas here?!?!?

Awesome pics, I go up the hill a lot but have never explored the Nevada desert. Have to get over there some day.

Great trail log !!! Way to go Cindy & Eddie, love your photos and detailed descriptions. Keep up the good work, can't wait til the next one!:thumb:

jelliott076

The insects pictured are Tarantula Hawks. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

"The tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation. However, the sting, particularly of P. formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, though the intense pain only lasts about three minutes.[3] Commenting on his own experience, Justin Schmidt described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."[2] In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt sting pain index, second only to that of the bullet ant, and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".[4]"

First time poster, by the way. I have lurked regularly, and enjoy the pictures and write-ups. I'm based in southern NV and have wheeled extensively down here.

Welcome to the family! That's one hell of a first post. Eddie, you're one lucky dude. The sting from that would have been epic!! :eek:

alpa

How long is this trail? Did you made it on one tank or did you had to use extra fuel? BTW very nice pictures. Want to go to this area in 3 weeks or so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the family! That's one hell of a first post. Eddie, you're one lucky dude. The sting from that would have been epic!! :eek:

LOL!! Who knew :crazyeyes: Guess I should be a little more careful around brightly colored bugs :crazyeyes:

How long is this trail? Did you made it on one tank or did you had to use extra fuel? BTW very nice pictures. Want to go to this area in 3 weeks or so.

This trip was a bit shorter, maybe only about 120 miles on dirt and so yes, we were able to make it on one tank. Although we just recently started carrying extra fuel with us again, we typically try to plan carefully and accordingly so that the need for it isn't necessary. In all the years I have been exploring like this, I have yet to need the extra gas.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Their sting is the most painful known to man ... As soon as I saw your pic I thought Wow you are too close to those things! They fight the Tarantula then lay their eggs in the spider’s body.
The poor spider is saying in his best Randall voice ... “Go away! Leave me alone Honey Badger”!

TheStick

Found one dragging a tarantula across my driveway last night. Freaked me out.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375979837.698365.jpg

I really need to get pest service :shock:

rinkishjk

Man u guys out west have some insane bugs and snakes. I would stay the f away from that bug. It kills tarantulas for sake!
I still remember the lina snake bite situation. Scary stuff.
Great pictures and story Eddie, thanks for sharing!! :beer::beer:

bran996

Wow! Just wow. Thanks for these pics. This is the reason I bought a jeep to explore but yet to do it. I really want to go explore the panamint mountain area someday.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

davidsonlaw

I would rather have the tarantulas! My wife killed a tarantula hawk in the backyard with a rolled up magazine the other day. When I told her about the sting, she turned white and said she wasn't going outside anymore.

Top Bottom