Show Off Your Guns!

Exodus 4x4

I carrying a Glock 19, today, since the religion of peace just attacked us again

No doubt. The little Glock is ok but I'll be carrying the 1911 from now on. I haven't carried it as much lately since I live in Austin now and it's such a pain in the dick to keep track of where I can and can't carry, but I think it's time be more selective about where I go and carry full time again.

swampdog

Alright, so I come to this thread seeking information. I am not an avid gun collector / marksman, but I do enjoy shooting when I can. I currently have a Remington 1187 12 ga. and am pricing Glock .40s (G22 or G23). I would like a solid, do it all, lifetime gun in the shotgun / pistol, rifle category. Doesn't need to be super fancy or have all of the bells and whistles, just shoot when I want it to and where I want it to. So, in the next week or 2 I will have the shotgun and pistol boxes checked, then it's time to focus on a rifle.

Can anyone steer me to a solid AR package that will be very capable out of the box from a reliable manufacturer? I don't want to get into a rifle that is going to require lots of money thrown at it in upgrades, that's what the jeep is for.

Dalton gang

No doubt. The little Glock is ok but I'll be carrying the 1911 from now on. I haven't carried it as much lately since I live in Austin now and it's such a pain in the dick to keep track of where I can and can't carry, but I think it's time be more selective about where I go and carry full time again.

Colt defender!! Bad ass little 1911

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Alright, so I come to this thread seeking information. I am not an avid gun collector / marksman, but I do enjoy shooting when I can. I currently have a Remington 1187 12 ga. and am pricing Glock .40s (G22 or G23). I would like a solid, do it all, lifetime gun in the shotgun / pistol, rifle category. Doesn't need to be super fancy or have all of the bells and whistles, just shoot when I want it to and where I want it to. So, in the next week or 2 I will have the shotgun and pistol boxes checked, then it's time to focus on a rifle.

Can anyone steer me to a solid AR package that will be very capable out of the box from a reliable manufacturer? I don't want to get into a rifle that is going to require lots of money thrown at it in upgrades, that's what the jeep is for.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Bravo Company and Daniel Defense are my recommendations. Bravo being more affordable.

Dalton gang

Check out PWS , they are one of the best in my opinion . Long stoke piston preset gas tube ajusting , for suppressd ect.

Exodus 4x4

Forged AR's are all about the same really. You don't really see any differences until you jump into billet which obviously cost more. Yes the PWS systems are awesome but they are expensive and doesn't sound like what you're looking for. For a cheaper, reliable AR look at Rock River. I don't personally own one because I like pricier rifles and prefer to build mine out.

BamBamDeer

Colt 6920 is always solid and pretty good value for the money

swampdog

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Bravo Company and Daniel Defense are my recommendations. Bravo being more affordable.

Wow, lots of quick responses. Thanks guys. If like to get out for under $1400 tops with optics if possible. The closer to 1G for a reliable package, the better.

Last edited:

Jk909

Wow, lots of quick responses. Thanks guys. If like to get out for under $1400 tops with optics if possible. The closer to 1G for a reliable package, the better.

Colt LE 6920. You can find them on sale for 900-1000. It is the civilian version of what our military is using to this day and what all other manufacturers use to measure up to. You will pay a lot more to get the same quality from other manufacturers who basically copy it

BamBamDeer

A little shopping around could get you a 6920 and aim point for around your budget.

JamesCo

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465842450.252686.jpg

Our twins! Armalite AR10's. As short as your AR15 and only 2 pounds heavier. 9 1/2 pounds with optics!!! I build them light so the wife can handle the weight. They can reach out pretty far.

el_chupo_

If its my only AR and we are talking a $1k budget, I am probably going with a Colt, Bravo Company, or LMT.

Colt you will find complete.

BCM or LMT you can buy the lower and upper separately, and come in at your price. A couple vendors carry BCM lowers (GR tactical, Rainier are two I know of), and you will be about $400 on the lower, and BCM or those vendors have lots of upper options.

Personally, I would lean toward BCM for the mid-length gas system (and I would go DI vs piston for my only one). If you want a free float hand guard you can go that route, but if you want to KISS with a basic hg, you can do that as well.

On top of the rifle, in the $400-600 range, I would be putting an Aimpoint Pro for an all around (or splurge on one of the Micro's for a bit more), a 1-4x (Vortex Viper PST, Leupold VXR 1.25-4, etc) for a bit of get out there, and if you want to play at the range for paper punching vs "effective hits", then go with a little higher magnification.

FWIW, M4carbine.net is the no BS, no "its just as good as" place to go for AR stuff.

SilverBack

Rock River AR platform, Benelli (M2) or Mossburg for shotgun, Kimber1911 or Springfield XDM 4.5inch in your preferred caliber. Savage makes a very good/inexpensive/durable everyday bolt action chambered in a variety of calibers (get the Accutrigger). These are not going to win any coffee table cock measuring contests but will work every time you pull the trigger as well as out shoot 99% of the people behind them.

Last edited:

JamesCo

Swampdog you can get an Armalite for $1000 to $1500 plus optics. You can even buy a gunsmith kit from them for about $400 and build one up from there. But just like Jeep parts there are many different brands and most are pretty good. I like Daniel Defense but they are a little above your price range and their hand guards are proprietary to Daniel Defense. Not as many options to change. Once you start buying AR's you start wanting to change everything and sometimes more than once. Kinda like a Jeep again. That's why we now buy only ARMALITE. They are high quality upper and lowers and are easy to upgrade parts if you wish later. We have JP Rifles barrel, gas block and hangaurds with Slash's heavy buffer and Ace stock. Blah, blah, blah.

So to answer your question I would advise you to get the best and maybe steer you towards Armalite or Colt. There are some others like Bushmaster, Windham Weaponry, Panther Arms. And others. But you get what you pay for. If, and only if you could squeeze out closer to $2000 you could have an entire package with top shelf AR and Leupold optics no problem.

Havoc40

Colt LE 6920. You can find them on sale for 900-1000. It is the civilian version of what our military is using to this day and what all other manufacturers use to measure up to. You will pay a lot more to get the same quality from other manufacturers who basically copy it

I have a few AR's and have to agree with this. I love my Noveske and LaRue rifles but, grab my Colt most of the time to go plinking. I was focusing on a KISS "M4 clone" with this build. I'd recommend ditching the god awful factory trigger and buying a Geissele SSA or SSA-E.

20160416_013049 (2).jpg

A.J.

I have a few AR's and have to agree with this. I love my Noveske and LaRue rifles but, grab my Colt most of the time to go plinking. I was focusing on a KISS "M4 clone" with this build. I'd recommend ditching the god awful factory trigger and buying a Geissele SSA or SSA-E.

View attachment 208160

Agree with this especially the triggers.

Top Bottom