Sidewall to Control Arm Space: How much do you need?

Soylent

I know this is another "What size tire?" thread but I need some advice. Rig is a 2013 JKU with Full Traction 3" long arm. Currently running stock Rubicon rims and tires (255/75x17) with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers. This gives me an effect BS of 4.75". As you can see in the photo that leaves about 1" space from the sidewall to the rear upper control arm and about 3" from the sway bar on the drivers side.

JK%20stock%20wheel%20255_75_17_zps78bmsaph.jpg

JK%20stock%20wheel_zps97mxvfp0.jpg

Eventually (maybe next year) I plan on going to slabs and 35" tires. But, in the meantime I want to change my near worn out stock tires. I was looking at Duratrax 285/70x17. The is and increase in section width of 1.5" and would decrease that space down to 1/4". Seems a bit tight and I realize that the axle shifts passenger side with passenger rear tire stuffed (right?). The control arm pivots at the frame, so does the space back at the sidewall stay the same or shrink? I see many posts of people running these tires (285/70x17)"no problem" but of course there are other factors such as control arm diameter etc. Should I just run another set of stock size until next year?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll be fine. Not like your tires are going to move any closer to your control arm. It'll get closer to the sway bar at a full flex but you should be fine there too.

Is it just me or is the sway bar link on tje wrong side? I know some do this to clear tire rub issues but I would suggest flexing your Jeep to make sure the link doesn't contact the frame, or worse grab the brake line when stuffed.

Soylent

Ok thanks. I'll try the 285s. I didn't notice that about the sway bar link. As soon as I get home I'm going to flex it.

Soylent

This is as high as my jack would go just contacting the bump stop. About 3/4 to 1" gap to the frame. Maybe contact with the nut at bottom out?

Stock%20wheel%20stuff_zpspk5mmfti.jpg

This is as high as my jack would go just contacting the bump stop. About 3/4 to 1" gap to the frame. Maybe contact with the nut at bottom out?

Yea, the foam bump will go flat so it will likely hit the frame. Also, did you simulate one side stuffed and one side drooped? It may get worse when the axle twists VS straight stuff.

Top Bottom