slow leak in tire = patch or plug?

christov11

So after 4 times to the gas sttation to air up every couple days, i finally decided enough is enough and that my rear driver tire has a slow leak. at first i thought maybe it was just my tpms going nuts after airing down and back up but after monitoring it. SHE BE LEAKING!!!!

now im hesitant between a plug and a patch.... these tires are freaking new... have 2 months of use on them. yes a couple trails but nothing crazy. im not about to buy a new one since winter is coming and absolute worst case scenario ill run it as a spare.

im thinking a patch is going to make it last for the life of the tread but thats under the assumption that a patch is stronger than a plug. i wanna keep the tire in my rotation and be able to wheel with it.

wanna know what your thoughts are on either given that im going to run a dozen trails a year that arent MOAB but still push limits of my set up 2.5" on 33s.

christov11

Ummm, maybe I read a bit too fast and missed it but, where's the leak coming from?

i havent seen the hole yet. sorry its too early for me to be out in public, i thought i wrote that lol!

question was more regarding the plug or the patch holding up for long term to save this tire all the while having something strong enough to run it through trails

JAGS

Hooked
i havent seen the hole yet. sorry its too early for me to be out in public, i thought i wrote that lol!

question was more regarding the plug or the patch holding up for long term to save this tire all the while having something strong enough to run it through trails

Plug or patch will also depend where the hole is, size of the hole, etc. Most trail fix kits use plugs. Not to say a patch won't work, but really depends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Can't tell you what would be better if I don't know what kind of leak you have and where. If it's a nail on the tread, a properly installed plug will do just fine even on tough trails. If it's on the shoulder or sidewall, you really should just replace the tire but if relegate it to just being a spare, a patch would be the better way to go. That being said, if you've just got something like a valve stem core that's a bit loose, a plug or patch won't do squat for you.

christov11

Plug or patch will also depend where the hole is, size of the hole, etc. Most trail fix kits use plugs. Not to say a patch won't work, but really depends.

is one stronger than the other if circumstances permit either of them to be used.

MrJ3sser

Like the others have said, it depends on where the leak is, but I had a plug on my last set of tires for probably 30k+ miles and had zero issues. Airing down, wheeling and daily driving was all good.

christov11

Can't tell you what would be better if I don't know what kind of leak you have and where. If it's a nail on the tread, a properly installed plug will do just fine even on tough trails. If it's on the shoulder or sidewall, you really should just replace the tire but if relegate it to just being a spare, a patch would be the better way to go. That being said, if you've just got something like a valve stem core that's a bit loose, a plug or patch won't do squat for you.

You the man!

thank you!

i know there are a loooooooooot of circumstances. where what how big etc. but just wanted to know if one was stronger than another.

you guys are beautiful

christov11

Like the others have said, it depends on where the leak is, but I had a plug on my last set of tires for probably 30k+ miles and had zero issues. Airing down, wheeling and daily driving was all good.

nice! gives me more confidence if i determine that a plug can work, ill get that done at home easy peasy

dillard09

I have a plug in one of my KM2s. I picked up a nail about 5k. I have the ARB plug kit. Installed the plug and the tire has never leaked again, including daily driving @ 28-30 psi and wheeling @ 8psi for the last 17k. If it is in the tread a plug can work well and you don't have to dismount the tire off the wheel. Good luck finding it.

geberhard

Douchebag
fill tire about 5 psi over max rating. Get a spray bottle with water and soap. Figure were the leak is coming form, THEN ask about a patch or plug. Could be something as silly as a bad valve. yes make sure to spray the valve too ;) Good luck!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
fill tire about 5 psi over max rating. Get a spray bottle with water and soap. Figure were the leak is coming form, THEN ask about a patch or plug. Could be something as silly as a bad valve. yes make sure to spray the valve too ;) Good luck!

X2. I've always used the mushroom style plug on everything from my Harley to my JK. Never had a problem on or off road. As already written, if the leak is on the sidewall it's time for pro advice or a new tire. Good luck!

Byte

X2. I've always used the mushroom style plug on everything from my Harley to my JK. Never had a problem on or off road. As already written, if the leak is on the sidewall it's time for pro advice or a new tire. Good luck!

Be sure to check the valve stem too. Had so many low tire issues over the years where just tightening the valve stem a smidge took care of them. In fact, I had to stop and put about 5lbs in my rear passenger tire this morning. TPMS lihgt came on about a block from home when it updated and showed 26 vs the 31 in the other 3 tires. I have to check it when I get home tonight. Haven't been anywhere or done anything so hoping it's just another valve stem.

christov11

thanks for the tip! knew this classic, just been busy between work and going home with the crazy hours the last few weeks. decided to post up here since the free time i do have is actually in the office.

Thanks y'all! ill get some downtime tonight since im actually heading home at 5 for once!

again im sorry for the lack of info, ill try to update with what gets done when it does!

christov11

Hope it's in straight. It's pretty close to the middle so a plug should suffice... Hope so! Couldn't get it done tonight so tomorrow night... Stupid effing screw

Attachments

• 1474518478800.jpg
    1474518478800.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 61

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hope it's in straight. It's pretty close to the middle so a plug should suffice... Hope so! Couldn't get it done tonight so tomorrow night... Stupid effing screw

Don't use a plug. They are only good for emergency uses. In PA they are actually illegal as well and you will fail inspection. I strongly suggest the use of an internal patch.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Technically a push in plug is a fix to get you to a tire repair facility. The wound should be properly filled with a rubber plug and an internal patch as well. That being said.... I use push through plugs on a daily basis on truck tires and rarely have a problem.

christov11

Don't use a plug. They are only good for emergency uses. In PA they are actually illegal as well and you will fail inspection. I strongly suggest the use of an internal patch.

Technically a push in plug is a fix to get you to a tire repair facility. The wound should be properly filled with a rubber plug and an internal patch as well. That being said.... I use push through plugs on a daily basis on truck tires and rarely have a problem.

thanks guys! prolly gonna get it done friday then since tonight was for a plug and with what youre saying a patch is a more long term solution. 30$ for that peace of mind is fine by me. even if it is a place that can just be plugged i think the patch is going to be a sure shot

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I totally agree and I have used plugs on all my rigs and without issue since I first started driving. As I said before, so long as it's on the tread and installed properly, you won't have any problems with a plug.

christov11

I totally agree and I have used plugs on all my rigs and without issue since I first started driving. As I said before, so long as it's on the tread and installed properly, you won't have any problems with a plug.

thanks! it just pains me to keep this tire on the spare since theyre brand spanking new... i wanna have it in the rotation so as long as the fix holds, it will be!

Top Bottom