So I got a new JK...

On my family adventure from Seattle to Phoenix, my JKU Sport suffered a catastrophic gear/t-case/tire + more failure. Needless to say, being 5 hours from home in the middle of nowhere late on a Saturday, nothing was getting fixed or towed in LaGrand, OR.

Soooooo...I upgraded to a '14 Granite Rubicon Unlimited.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396223301.892202.jpg
The manager (since we both have the same job at different dealerships) let me pull some of my parts, paid way to much for mine, and charged me way to little for the new one, and we were back on the road!!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396223488.208406.jpg

Jeepster Chris
...sitting in my Tardis using WAYALIFE time/space app

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Pictures of the catastrophic failures? Did you keep your hood?? Seems like it worked out in the end, I kinda wish a situation similar would happen to me haha

I guess it's good...I just get to start all over with the knowledge I've gained in the past year of building my red one.

No, I didn't get to keep my hood...but I'll probably order another one!

Jeepster Chris

JKFlyer

Wow...that's random! Congrats!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Congrats on the new rig! Great color! Curious, what exactly happened to your other one?

Well, I had new gears put in, and I never get over about 40mph on my commute. At the 375 miles away from home mark, the rear end lost a bearing, then the front popped and seized setting off a chain reaction thru the drivetrain. Since they were aftermarket gears, nothing was covered by warranty, and no parts were available for 4+ days (as I sat 5 hours from home with my wife, kids and dogs). So I traded up instead of wasting my entire vacation sitting there spending thousands to fix it.

Nobody wants to accept any responsibility for the gear setup, but instead of dwelling on it, I moved on.

Now...what should I do first to the new one? :)

Jeepster Chris

Oh yeah...and I forgot to mention the 4 inch spike that was sticking they the tread and out the sidewall on one of my brand new 35's! When it rains, it pours. Now I have a new Rubicon.

Jeepster Chris

pathfinder

Congrats on the new rubi love the color. there are only a few of us with this color on here I think

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I'd go mellow: 2.5 or 3" lift -complete kit- and tires/wheels accordingly but sticking to +/- 2-3% increase in overall wheel diameter (stick to oem gearing), better air filter etc to give it a better linearity when stepping on it, bumpers, underside xtra protection (mainly oil pan).....

I'd keep it light, nimble and not overly built as it doubles as a DD.....

Top Bottom