Spare Tire Mount

TEchols

Our 2013 JKU did not have a spare tire mount when we bought it and we are leaning towards a tailgate mount instead of a swing arm.
Just wondering if there are any pros or cons, or if anyone has a recommendation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our 2013 JKU did not have a spare tire mount when we bought it and we are leaning towards a tailgate mount instead of a swing arm.
Just wondering if there are any pros or cons, or if anyone has a recommendation.
Having a mount on the tailgate will make opening and closing it a lot easier. The downside to it is that unless you install some kind of reinforcement, the added weight can cause failure of the tailgate. You can mitigate a lot of the problem by ensuring the sidewall is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators (assuming you still have them or install a set). However, I would still recommend something to help support the added weight, especially if you carry something like a 37" tire.

Carrying the weight on the bumper or frame will be stronger but it does take more effort to open and close the back and depending on the make, there can be other issues like more added rear end weight and rattling.

TEchols

Having a mount on the tailgate will make opening and closing it a lot easier. The downside to it is that unless you install some kind of reinforcement, the added weight can cause failure of the tailgate. You can mitigate a lot of the problem by ensuring the sidewall is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators (assuming you still have them or install a set). However, I would still recommend something to help support the added weight, especially if you carry something like a 37" tire.

Carrying the weight on the bumper or frame will be stronger but it does take more effort to open and close the back and depending on the make, there can be other issues like more added rear end weight and rattling.
Thanks, with some hefty 34"s we will look at the reinforcement kits as well. Just to be on the safe side.

trailraider

If you run tailgate mounted , definitely get the reinforcements. Down side I find with the gate mounted is it seems to have more rattle noise then the frame mounted ones. it works and is snug. still has some noise tho. may be a brand thing. but I never had the rattles with my ARB frame style.

Ddays

Hooked
I run one of these Rusty carriers on my JL. IMHO, it's one of the nicest of these styles out there. It's been on for a year and a half carrying a 37" tire with no rattles. It has an adjustable bump on it so it doesn't jiggle and stays snug.

Andy5160

Hooked
I run one of these Rusty carriers on my JL. IMHO, it's one of the nicest of these styles out there. It's been on for a year and a half carrying a 37" tire with no rattles. It has an adjustable bump on it so it doesn't jiggle and stays snug.

Second that ^^

bmkrinne

My frame mounted swing arm spare tire carrier rattles like hell. I went cheap…don’t go cheap!!! 😂😂

I prefer a tailgate mounted carrier for a few different reasons.

One, I'm running Evo's Rear Fascia which is basically a bumper delete that looks nice. Two, I like the ease of having the tailgate open with one action. Three, I think it gives a cleaner, maybe even amost more factory look than a bumper mounted swing out carrier. And four, maybe most importantly, will never rattle. Everyone I've known and come across who runs a bumper tire carrier complains that while it may be strong, it rattles like a bitch and adds too much weight over the rear. It seems that most bumper/carrier combos are usually more affordable as well so that says it all right there.

I'm running EVO's tailgate mounted carrier with 35s on my JK and am super happy with the results as it perfectly balances functionality, accessibility, and looks in my opinion.

20220104_175340.jpg

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I prefer a tailgate mounted carrier for a few different reasons.

One, I'm running Evo's Rear Fascia which is basically a bumper delete that looks nice. Two, I like the ease of having the tailgate open with one action. Three, I think it gives a cleaner, maybe even amost more factory look than a bumper mounted swing out carrier. And four, maybe most importantly, will never rattle. Everyone I've known and come across who runs a bumper tire carrier complains that while it may be strong, it rattles like a bitch and adds too much weight over the rear. It seems that most bumper/carrier combos are usually more affordable as well so that says it all right there.

I'm running EVO's tailgate mounted carrier with 35s on my JK and am super happy with the results as it perfectly balances functionality, accessibility, and looks in my opinion.

View attachment 370651
The people you come across or know are buying ShittyBilt or similar. I've had an LOD bumper/carrier on the back of my jeep for the last 11 years and it's still as solid as day one. And cheaper?? I guess if $1400.00 is cheap then you're right. lol
Funny you say you like a FACTORY look. 🙃 Then you remove the rear bumper for an unfinished look.;)

BlackKnight

I'm running the EVO Pro Series Tailgate mount also... (the one with the plate relocated is the Current state) IMG_1790.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1792.jpeg
    IMG_1792.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1934.jpeg
    IMG_1934.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 10

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the AEV bumper mounted, door affixed swing carrier on my JKU.

While it's stable and works, I'd rather have the hinge mounted style carrier like on my JLU, it's a nice clean look

Top Bottom