Storage prep, leaving Jeep for 3 months

dlm_jku

Did this for 13 years. 3 to 6 months at a time. Just park it. My factory battery lasted me about 7 years. Never left it on a trickle charger. But it wouldn't hurt. I replaced it with an Odyssey that went to shit in less than 3 years. You're not supposed to let them run low. Voids warranty if you do. Expensive lesson. Wouldn't worry about tires.
I have a Yellow top Optima, so worse case it should handle being drained better than a standard battery, but I already have a battery tender, so I'm going to use it just because it can't hurt.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I'm going have to leave my Jeep unused in my garage for about 3 months. What all should I do to prepare it? I was planning on putting Stabil in the fuel and running it through the system for a few miles, putting it on a battery tender, and probably jacking it off the ground just to make sure I don't get any flat spots on the tires. Anything else I should consider?
My Wrangler and Cummins Ram sit for 10-15 months at a time.

Jackstands, disconnect battery and use a battery tender and you're good to go, takes all the guesswork out of it.

Not many insurance companies offer it, but mine has a policy for vehicles in storage, or out of service for maintenance without dropping them entirely. So I save $80 a month on each vehicle there.

My2019 Ram's registration is $900/yr here in AZ. So, I let it lapse. AZ penalty is only $10/month up to $100, but they'll waive it if you have an explanation.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I have a Yellow top Optima, so worse case it should handle being drained better than a standard battery, but I already have a battery tender, so I'm going to use it just because it can't hurt.
That's what I bought to replace it. Throwing a trickle on it can't hurt. On the Odyssey the fine print warned me of not letting it run low. I never read the fine print. Figured at that price it was something you didn't have to worry about.

jeeeep

Hooked
That's what I bought to replace it. Throwing a trickle on it can't hurt. On the Odyssey the fine print warned me of not letting it run low. I never read the fine print. Figured at that price it was something you didn't have to worry about.
Odyssey fine print...wish I had read it sooner but thought it was tougher than that for the price.
I've already had one replaced and may file a claim for this one. Sucks because the Jeep sits for months, and the factory alarm system seems to drain it enough. I added a charger/tender but apparently too late to save the battery.
I'll be adding stabil this year since it'll sit longer, plenty of wild cats to keep any rodents away.

Top Bottom