Surprised by the Jeep OEM ROll Cage

jorgelrod

Hooked
I've seen a few posts of people (not necesarilly on this forum) ragging on the OEM roll cage on the JK and how they remove them and Fab some other roll cages, just opened the local newspaper at home and saw this picture on a news article. The guy was speeding, made a lane change without looking and struck another car which made him lose control and roll over, his biggest stupidity was not wearing a seatbelt and he got ejected from the jeep and crushed by said rolling jeep.

What I did notice from the pictures though is how well the roll cage held up and the integrity of the tub was pretty well maintained.
jeep.jpg

On another thought, if it really is a Rubicon, I wonder if the axles where damaged...

What, too soon??

Jorge

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Every picture that I've seen of a jeep roll over the roll bar has held up.

Now I know some will say I'm wrong but I'm talking about a roll over that is likely to happen on the trail. If your speeding down the road and roll it ten times, no that is not normal.

GCM 2

What I did notice from the pictures though is how well the roll cage held up and the integrity of the tub was pretty well maintained.

So imagine if he had an aftermarket sport cage in addition to the factory cage, that windshield would not have looked like a taco. I will depend on my aftermarket cage more than the factory stuff.

jorgelrod

Hooked
So imagine if he had an aftermarket sport cage in addition to the factory cage, that windshield would not have looked like a taco. I will depend on my aftermarket cage more than the factory stuff.

I agree, I'm just saying that the OEM roll cage definitely is a good cage...

Jorge

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Every picture that I've seen of a jeep roll over the roll bar has held up.

Now I know some will say I'm wrong but I'm talking about a roll over that is likely to happen on the trail. If your speeding down the road and roll it ten times, no that is not normal.

I'm with you. Contrary to what so many will try and suggest, I have always seen the factory roll bar alone holds up amazingly well to rolls.

Agreed 100%, the addition of a sport cage will make a huge difference in how well the occupants inside a Jeep are protected. Of course, it is still attached to the factory roll bars. If I'm reading it right, I think the OP was saying that from what he's been reading, nothing short of a full cage would ever offer enough protection.

Strainger

Caught the Bug

I will be getting an after-market cage when time and money allow. Building on GCM2's statement, I tend to think that a back up system is a sound move. In some cases, more is better.

BigBoy

While many of us enthusiasts see the Wrangler as an off-road vehicle first, this clearly is not the view of Jeep. The stock cage does its job as any other car or truck would, on the road. On the trail is another story. If Jeep saw the Wrangler with the same eyes many of us do, the Rubicon would have more than just upgraded axles and tires. Thankfully the aftermarket has come through!

TheDuff

While many of us enthusiasts see the Wrangler as an off-road vehicle first, this clearly is not the view of Jeep. The stock cage does its job as any other car or truck would, on the road. On the trail is another story. If Jeep saw the Wrangler with the same eyes many of us do, the Rubicon would have more than just upgraded axles and tires. Thankfully the aftermarket has come through!

It does have more than just axles and tires...

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBoy

It does have more than just axles and tires...

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sure the t-case, skids, sliders, sway bar disco, the list goes on. I guess I was trying to say if the thought the way we do it would come lifted 2", 35's, wheels that don't hide under the fenders. Perhaps even flat fenders and a sport cage.

Many of the built rigs I see with the Rubicon Package seem to ditch a lot of these so called upgrades anyway.

If the Rubicon package was designed with the Rubicon Trail in mind, they could have done a better job is all.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Agreed 100%, the addition of a sport cage will make a huge difference in how well the occupants inside a Jeep are protected. Of course, it is still attached to the factory roll bars. If I'm reading it right, I think the OP was saying that from what he's been reading, nothing short of a full cage would ever offer enough protection.

Correct, I've read a few threads here and there that try and make it like the OEM Roll Cage is crap and Although I admit, for competition or rock crawling it might fall a bit short, It is not as bad as some people try an d make it out to be...

BMend066

I rolled my jeep end over end 4 times and my roll cage saved my life! Just walked away with a broken arm.

Sent from my HTC One using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1390354773154.jpg
    1390354773154.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 1390354789505.jpg
    1390354789505.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 1390354804050.jpg
    1390354804050.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 353
  • 1390354819371.jpg
    1390354819371.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 1390354834203.jpg
    1390354834203.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 353

David1tontj

I rolled my jeep end over end 4 times and my roll cage saved my life! Just walked away with a broken arm.

That should buff out....

Haha.. Wow... Were you on or off road? That is some serious damage! Glad you were ok!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

BMend066

I was on the highway and hit black ice. But yeah just small oil leak and I
It will all buff out! Haha

okeedoky0

WOW, that is amazing that you walked away with only a broken arm. Good to know that the OEM roll cage is so protective. I was in Minneapolis a few weeks ago and there were several vehicles in the ditch due to black ice on the highway.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
After seeing something like this is makes me reconsider the entire stock cage.

View attachment 138485

Thats unreal. However, something to keep in mind is some accidents just are not survivable as the occupant compartment is going to be compromised, regardless of vehicle. Ive seen everything from a Honda Civic to an F350 destroyed and the occupants did not survive.

Something else to think about is how is an aftermarket cage actually going to "handle" an impact? Meaning, where is all that energy going and where are the weak points? If one of those weak points happens to show its face at the wrong time, an occupant could end up with a piece of tubing to the face.

relayer4u

After seeing something like this is makes me reconsider the entire stock cage.

Without any info about the wreck that picture means nothing about the stock sport bar's integrity.

Did the driver of that Jeep drive off the Vermillion Cliffs and land on his lid? Who knows, its just a picture of a broken Jeep at this point.

:naw:

toxicwaste29

He rolled it on a highway and all he says is he survived but didnt explain any injuries. Cant a link to the original post because its on another forum.

Top Bottom