Telluride Colorado

CRAZYCASEY

jason08JK said:
Anyone hear if Poughkeepsie Gulch is open? Sent from iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We left Tuesday and went up Poughkeepsie on Monday before we left and it is still snowed in. We did run imogene and black bear should be open any day.

Mstef3

A friend and I are planning to be there on the Aug. 24, 25 and 26. We plan on starting from Lake City the morning of the 24 on Engineer Pass have lunch in Silverton then do Ophir Pass in the afternoon. Make camp at Alta Lakes that night. The 25 start out on Imogene Pass from Telluride in morning have lunch in Ouray then Black Bear Pass in the afternoon (if weather permits). I not sure if we'll camp in Telluride that night or head over to Ouray and find a camp sight there. The 26 do a little sight seeing then head back by way of Cinnamon Pass and try to make it to Salida.
Does anyone know if your aloud to make camp along the trails (in a pull off area) as long as you stay near the trail? Or the camp site, like Alta Lakes. Are they first come or do you have to reserve them?

Remlap

We went through Poughkeepsie on the 17th, it was open all the way through. We were up at Alta Lakes on the 19th - It did not look reservable and it was crowded - but this was a Saturday.

As far as camping right off the trails, we ran across areas that obviously had been camped at, like old fire pits - but it did not seem common on the bigger trails like Imogene/Ophir. It did seem common on Bolam Pass which connects HWY's 550 and 145. We camped in our 5th Wheel at Cayton Campground on 145/Bolam Pass road (great campground) but I bet reservations are hard to come by now.

If I was tent camping I would choose Bolam on the close side to 550 and catch a shitload of Brook Trout while I was at it.

Hope that helps, and I wish we were still up there.

CerOf

A friend and I are planning to be there on the Aug. 24, 25 and 26. We plan on starting from Lake City the morning of the 24 on Engineer Pass have lunch in Silverton then do Ophir Pass in the afternoon. Make camp at Alta Lakes that night. The 25 start out on Imogene Pass from Telluride in morning have lunch in Ouray then Black Bear Pass in the afternoon (if weather permits). I not sure if we'll camp in Telluride that night or head over to Ouray and find a camp sight there. The 26 do a little sight seeing then head back by way of Cinnamon Pass and try to make it to Salida.
Does anyone know if your aloud to make camp along the trails (in a pull off area) as long as you stay near the trail? Or the camp site, like Alta Lakes. Are they first come or do you have to reserve them?

I've seen many camping, usually down lower. I would not want to camp on the main trails as there can be traffic. Even at night. I ran engineer pass from ouray to lake city starting around 6pm and was not the only one.

Beautiful, quiet, serene camping can be had over Owl Creek Pass just out of ridgeway. MANY places to camp along the road, silver jack resevoir; west, east or middle fork.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Mstef3

Thanks guys, the tips will help in planning. I had the family out there in June to visit the towns and I can't wait to get back. In the Backroads Guide Book it gives you est. travel times on each trail but some of the trails don't start for miles down other back roads, stopping of pictures and just enjoying the scenery. So I'm thinking it will take longer to get from Lake City to Silverton then 3 hours. Hopefully we can see all that is planned, if not I guess we'll have to go back.
Thanks again, Maybe we'll some of you guys out there.

Sithwindu

There's a lot of info in this thread! Me and my girl plan to make a trip to Colorado next year, she has family that owns a bed and breakfast in Denver, hens a good time to go to Colorado? Time of year? For some fairly nice decent trails and nature seeing/hiking/site seeing?

Hoping to get rid of the toothpick 30 and switch it to a prorock44 before the trip but might not be able to make it. (Sorry if this is a derail)

rlew0083

Going to miss Colorado this year for vacation. We are hitting Key West instead. At least I will get the wife in bikini's!

CerOf

There's a lot of info in this thread! Me and my girl plan to make a trip to Colorado next year, she has family that owns a bed and breakfast in Denver, hens a good time to go to Colorado? Time of year? For some fairly nice decent trails and nature seeing/hiking/site seeing?

Hoping to get rid of the toothpick 30 and switch it to a prorock44 before the trip but might not be able to make it. (Sorry if this is a derail)

Mid to late July. Wild flowers are usually out in full mud July-ish. Late August seems to rain a bit more...at least over in ouray area. Pretty much chance if rain every day around 3-~4ish.

Mid October for great fall color. If heavy Seotember rains, fall color is a bit delayed. If normal or dryer September fall color starts a bit earlier. One of the best two trails for fall color is Last Dollar riad between telluride and ridgeway. (Pick up the trail behind the airport) and the drive from ridgeway over owl creek pass to silver jack resevoir and down to beaver lake. Rowdy Lake is one if the most photographed lakes with fall color. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1406264836.885246.jpg

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Top Bottom