Teraflex - Bad rep for a reason or isolated cases?

Sahara_Maverick

I've been using a 2.5in spring lift kit from Teraflex for probably 4 years now. Got it with a set of Bilstein shocks. The control arms are Synergy (non adjustable).
Since I use my JKU as a DD and my rides are mostly easy to medium I did not want anything higher.
Before that I was using the Rubi shocks on the std suspension.
After I installed the kit I noticed my Jeep started swaying a lot more but I blamed the shocks. Stability at 70mph on highway is fine and cornering also.
So, if I understood from the thread, the EVO kits are leagues ahead. Are they more comfortable or reliable? What makes them better?

I was always suspicious about the AEV drop brackets, hence I went with the TF and Synergy lower arms.

How about shocks? Which are the cat's meow for a comfortable but stable ride? I'm not impressed with the Bilsteins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I've been using a 2.5in spring lift kit from Teraflex for probably 4 years now. Got it with a set of Bilstein shocks. The control arms are Synergy (non adjustable).
Since I use my JKU as a DD and my rides are mostly easy to medium I did not want anything higher.
After I installed the kit I noticed my Jeep started swaying a lot more but I blamed the shocks. Stability at 70mph on highway is fine and cornering also.
So, if I understood from the thread, the EVO kits are leagues ahead. Are they more comfortable or reliable? What makes them better?

I was always suspicious about the AEV drop brackets, hence I went with the TF and Synergy lower arms.

How about shocks? Which are the cat's meow for a comfortable but stable ride? I'm not impressed with the Bilsteins.

We just went from OEM springs to Evo plush on the front of our JK. Very noticeable difference. I don't know exactly what ride you're looking for, but prior to ours, the OEM springs were a little soft and allowed what I would describe as body roll. Now with the EVOS, the ride is stiffer. But not stiffer like harsh, stiffer as in controllable when a bump is hit. Hard to explain, but when we hit a bump, the vehicle stays level and firmly absorbs it with no discomfort to the passengers. I haven't experienced Teraflex springs myself, but I have Bilsteins on the WJ and they seem fine. I would guess it may be your springs.

Sahara_Maverick

We just went from OEM springs to Evo plush on the front of our JK. Very noticeable difference. I don't know exactly what ride you're looking for, but prior to ours, the OEM springs were a little soft and allowed what I would describe as body roll. Now with the EVOS, the ride is stiffer. But not stiffer like harsh, stiffer as in controllable when a bump is hit. Hard to explain, but when we hit a bump, the vehicle stays level and firmly absorbs it with no discomfort to the passengers. I haven't experienced Teraflex springs myself, but I have Bilsteins on the WJ and they seem fine. I would guess it may be your springs.

I'll try to explain. Imagine you are driving around 60mph on a highway. Do a quick swerve. The Jeep (or any car with decent shocks) will not bounce sideways more than once. Mine will bounce around twice or three times before going smooth as before.
Take a rocky trail. Even going very slowly, our Jeeps should not bounce like crazy like preparing a milk-shake.
As far as I understand this is a sign of bad shocks.

The springs are stiff, but absorb the bumps well. Could be a bit softer like the OEMs but I thought that would be because of the extra length.

So, my feeling since I changed the Rubi schocks for the Bilsteins was that the latter were designed just for smooth terrain and even that lacks, as the highway test I described.

Makes sense? I've been doing some research on shocks to replace mine could not find anything very conclusive. It seems the Fox and Old Man Emu are fine. But even those have several options.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I'll try to explain. Imagine you are driving around 60mph on a highway. Do a quick swerve. The Jeep (or any car with decent shocks) will not bounce sideways more than once. Mine will bounce around twice or three times before going smooth as before.
Take a rocky trail. Even going very slowly, our Jeeps should not bounce like crazy like preparing a milk-shake.
As far as I understand this is a sign of bad shocks.

The springs are stiff, but absorb the bumps well. Could be a bit softer like the OEMs but I thought that would be because of the extra length.

So, my feeling since I changed the Rubi schocks for the Bilsteins was that the latter were designed just for smooth terrain and even that lacks, as the highway test I described.

Makes sense? I've been doing some research on shocks to replace mine could not find anything very conclusive. It seems the Fox and Old Man Emu are fine. But even those have several options.

I have 4"EVO springs now with AEV spec bilsteins 5160s. I can swerve/change lane and my jeep doesn't do what your describing. I also have AEV drop brackets with factory arms, not that I like or approve of them just made a poor choice and rushed my lift kit originally. Actually looking to upgrade to evo long arms sometime in the future. What I can tell you is that AEV shock and spring combo handles very well on road, better than EVO, they are pretty stiff though. In your case, you might just have bad shocks or worse, something is not right with the those TF coils.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Your issue is you have 2.5” teraflex springs which yielded probably close to 4” and you have non adjustable control arms. Your castor is jacked guaranteed.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Your issue is you have 2.5” teraflex springs which yielded probably close to 4” and you have non adjustable control arms. Your castor is jacked guaranteed.

Could be. Synergy has a set of fixed front lower arms that are longer than stock, to help maintain caster on lifted jk. If the OP does not have these then you're right he has too little caster

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Could be. Synergy has a set of fixed front lower arms that are longer than stock, to help maintain caster on lifted jk. If the OP does not have these then you're right he has too little caster

Umm no. Doesn't matter if they are longer than stock because each jeep is different. That's the reason adjustable control arms are around.

Sahara_Maverick

I got those with the kit to fix the angle issue. My Jeep is very stable and corners great in the highways at 60/70mph, considering the extra height.

It's just the weird bouncing behavior.

It could be that, as suggested, the springs and shocks are not properly tuned to each other?

What's the best way to fix it? Whole new kit, this time all from the same source? Or get a set of adjustable shocks?

fiend

Caught the Bug
I got those with the kit to fix the angle issue. My Jeep is very stable and corners great in the highways at 60/70mph, considering the extra height.

It's just the weird bouncing behavior.

It could be that, as suggested, the springs and shocks are not properly tuned to each other?

What's the best way to fix it? Whole new kit, this time all from the same source? Or get a set of adjustable shocks?

Bouncing is typically a symptom of bad shocks. If I understand your post correctly, your Bilsteins are now four years old. Could be time to replace them. Lots of people like the rancho 9000s, which are reasonably priced.

Sahara_Maverick

Bouncing is typically a symptom of bad shocks. If I understand your post correctly, your Bilsteins are now four years old. Could be time to replace them. Lots of people like the rancho 9000s, which are reasonably priced.

The thing is that this behavior started with them virtually new. Hence, I'm considering a different brand and type.

Can we adjust the Ranchos?

Top Bottom