The Building of Compromise

GraniteCrystal

Looks great. Have to lower soft top to remove it? Any way to put it on a hinges so it could rotate up without fully removing? Just throwing out ideas. Good thinking using the hard top fastening points. I tried making this same thing once and totally failed. With a hard top, you can't get it in in one solid piece. Has to be two pieces. Got frustrated and never finished it.

I'd do paint. Carpet is going to start looking ratty and smelling bad if you get caught out in the elements too many times.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I wasn't planning on starting this today but I ended up having the time so I did. This thing will basically fasten to where the hard top was. We don't keep anything valuable in there, but we want to keep water and mud off of the cargo. I picked up some turn handle hardware on eBay so tools won't be needed to take it off. Haven't decided if we're going to paint it or carpet it.

View attachment 256098

View attachment 256099

View attachment 256100

View attachment 256101

View attachment 256102

You can wrap it in carpet. Home Depot might have something pretty cheap by the foot. Use 'Super 90' spray glue to glue it on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
That's pretty slick. Can't wait to see it installed.

Thanks. Anxious to get it done.

Looks great. Have to lower soft top to remove it? Any way to put it on a hinges so it could rotate up without fully removing? Just throwing out ideas. Good thinking using the hard top fastening points. I tried making this same thing once and totally failed. With a hard top, you can't get it in in one solid piece. Has to be two pieces. Got frustrated and never finished it.

I'd do paint. Carpet is going to start looking ratty and smelling bad if you get caught out in the elements too many times.

Just had to fold down seats. It is very tight. We don't plan on removing it often. It was so tight, I busted a soft top upright putting it in. Emailed Bestop already. It's still functional, but sucks that it happened.

Good to know

It is good to know. Mia helped me too. :cheesy:

You can wrap it in carpet. Home Depot might have something pretty cheap by the foot. Use 'Super 90' spray glue to glue it on.

I think we're going to do Bedliner actually.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thanks. Anxious to get it done.

Just had to fold down seats. It is very tight. We don't plan on removing it often. It was so tight, I busted a soft top upright putting it in. Emailed Bestop already. It's still functional, but sucks that it happened.

It is good to know. Mia helped me too. :cheesy:

I think we're going to do Bedliner actually.

I had good luck with Berliner on my mud flaps on my Aev rear bumper I just sold. It never faded and always washed clean. I think it was called 'grizzly grip' I bought it from 'Midwest chemicals' they activate it right before they send it out. I believe you have 30 days to roll it on with one of their special rollers. Worked great for me.
I bet they have it in pink too....

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I wasn't planning on starting this today but I ended up having the time so I did. This thing will basically fasten to where the hard top was. We don't keep anything valuable in there, but we want to keep water and mud off of the cargo. I picked up some turn handle hardware on eBay so tools won't be needed to take it off. Haven't decided if we're going to paint it or carpet it.

I like this idea! Now you got my wheels turning! [emoji1303]

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

How is it any different than the carpet that is on the floor of your jeep that is exposed to the elements?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 256098

View attachment 256099

View attachment 256100

View attachment 256101

View attachment 256102

Put a weather stripping on the tub or it will scratch the shit out of the tub. I ran one there for a while.

IMG_0423.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Did some work on ball joints with Doug today

IMG_20170430_124243.jpg

IMG_20170430_125126.jpg

IMG_20170430_133806.jpg

ProTip: a leftover drag link sleeve cut to length works as a ball joint press
IMG_20170430_134409.jpg

IMG_20170430_141015.jpg

Three build threads in one pic!
IMG_20170430_160034.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Put a weather stripping on the tub or it will scratch the shit out of the tub. I ran one there for a while.

Good call. Thanks. Hadn't even thought about that.

Did some work on ball joints with Doug today

ProTip: a leftover drag link sleeve cut to length works as a ball joint press

Thanks for the help today and for finding that old drag link sleeve under my bench. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Left ball joints in. Saving the right for another day.

IMG_20170430_172612_239.jpg

IMG_20170430_172732_490.jpg

Started Herculiner on the cargo deck. Turned out better than we thought.

IMG_20170430_172754_097.jpg

IMG_20170430_172813_193.jpg

IMG_20170430_172838_371.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Did you roll the Herculiner on? That really did come out great :thumb:

Thanks. Yep, just roll on. Went on well being the surface was 100% flat and perfect.

Deck looking awesome so far. Are you going to throw in some tie down hardware on top?

Thanks. We are. We want to get it installed first then decide where to mount them.

The herculined deck looks good. Should help protect against the elements.

Thanks. That's the plan.

WJCO

Meme King
.....or the beginning of a truly customized summer top
View attachment 256079

Lol. Great idea.
:cheesy:

I have an idea.

View attachment 256168

Don't they sell that stuff in pink?

I don't know if they do, nor do I care to know........and no on the carpet. The wife doesn't need anymore ideas, lol.

The herculiner really turned out great[emoji106] I might have to give that a try some time

Thanks. I agree. Cheap compared to anything else you can get as well.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
The deck shelf looks great. I built one for my TJ, probably the most useful mod I've done to date. Great stuff! :thumb:

Top Bottom