The building of GR8WHITE2.0 aka The Silver Piece

GR8WHITE

More good news! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465441694.505544.jpg At this rate I might have this thing ready for the end of summer run. Probably come down to sleepless nights in the shop the week leading up to it. But if thats what it takes.... Also got some more work done today. Front truss is fully welded and my rear 4 link crossmember along with link mounts. Been mig-ing up a storm this last week. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465441986.263105.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465442000.739754.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465442023.017123.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465442038.202758.jpg

Robs_Red_JK

That is so much welding!!! It looks really awesome though! That truss doesn't get welded to pumpkin at all? I have been looking at the Artec kits for my stock dana 44's but welding to the housing seems like it is very difficult to get done correctly.

GR8WHITE

That is so much welding!!! It looks really awesome though! That truss doesn't get welded to pumpkin at all? I have been looking at the Artec kits for my stock dana 44's but welding to the housing seems like it is very difficult to get done correctly.

Nope, the full width one piece trusses are not designed to weld the the cast and you physically can't... But on the jk 44 kits you do weld it to the cast. Its not to bad just heat the pumpkin to around 400 degrees and burn it in hot. Some people don't even heat it up and just go for it. Personally I'd probably heat it up some with a torch and then just go hard with the squirt gun. Just take your time when welding to the tube and top of truss on so u don't warp your housing.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

Badass. Keep the pace. I doubt your stock rig will survive another trip like the last
Thanks. At this rate, I might have it built and tested before the end of summer run. And ya the d30 and my foot probably will not last another big trip.

jagrubb99

So with these super duty kits, does Artec's kit require you to use the truss or is it optional? Great build by the way, silver 2 door is the way to go.

GR8WHITE

So with these super duty kits, does Artec's kit require you to use the truss or is it optional? Great build by the way, silver 2 door is the way to go.

You have to in the front because thats where you mount the upper links. In the rear you can probably get away without running it. But I'm NOT doing the Artec kits or super duty axles. Im doing a old ford kingpin in the front with their full width truss and full hydro ram mount. And a 14 bolt in the rear with their full width truss. Im gonna be running a custom link set up front and rear with Ori Struts. (A true 14" of travel in the front and a true 16" of travel in the rear) There's pretty much gonna be nothing jk about my rig expected for about half the frame, motor, trans, hood, and grill.

Last edited:

jagrubb99

You have to in the front because thats where you mount the upper links. In the rear you can probably get away without running it. But I'm NOT doing the Artec kits or super duty axles. Im doing a old ford kingpin in the front with their full width truss and full hydro ram mount. And a 14 bolt in the rear with their full width truss. Im gonna be running a custom link set up front and rear with Ori Struts. (A true 14" of travel in the front and a true 16" of travel in the rear) There's pretty much gonna be nothing jk about my rig expected for about half the frame, motor, trans, hood, and grill.

Thanks for the info. Rig's gonna be sick.

Robs_Red_JK

Nope, the full width one piece trusses are not designed to weld the the cast and you physically can't... But on the jk 44 kits you do weld it to the cast. Its not to bad just heat the pumpkin to around 400 degrees and burn it in hot. Some people don't even heat it up and just go for it. Personally I'd probably heat it up some with a torch and then just go hard with the squirt gun. Just take your time when welding to the tube and top of truss on so u don't warp your housing.

Oh ok good to know. I will have to do some more research on that to see if it is something that I could do. Thanks for the info!

GR8WHITE

Nice! So now you have wheels, tires, ORIs, and axles...you're not done yet? Geez! :crazyeyes:

Haha honestly, I literally have everything except the atlas. I'm only missing steering and front lug nuts. Otherwise I'm good to go. But been busting my ass on the Toyota over the last week and I am honestly kinda tired of working on shit for a little while... [emoji23] but i will start the jeep in a week or 2. Gonna completely just cut the f**king shit out of it. Its gonna be awesome. (Or really shitty lol)

Top Bottom