The building of knuckles

MTG

Caught the Bug
88.12 Octane?

So I don't normally see the utility in driving around looking to save $.02 on gas, but yesterday I decided to drive a little out of my way to check out the Mavrick gas station. If you aren't familiar with them they are the ones with a Jeep on the side of their tanker trucks.

So after getting my rewards card (long story there too) I start filling up. After about 10 gallons I realized I'm dumping 87 octane into my jeep. :mad:

So I stop and wonder how long it will take to run 10 gallons out when I get the brilliant idea to fill up with 90 instead. So I put in 10.49 gallons of 87 and another 6.29 of 90. By my math that means I put in 16.78 gallons of 88.12 Ocatane.

The above is rather meaningless as I've ran 87 before without issue. However, I did learn two things:

1) the Mavrick gas station was pretty nice....as far as gas stations go anyway. Go check one out. :thumb:
2) I'm pretty sure my gas tank doesn't hold anywhere near 22 gallons!

:cheesy:

crowrb29

I've always wondered that too. If the low fuel light comes on and I fill up at most its 17 gallons. Either the owners manual lies or they give you lots of wiggle room with the low fuel light.

ttfhell

So I don't normally see the utility in driving around looking to save $.02 on gas, but yesterday I decided to drive a little out of my way to check out the Mavrick gas station. If you aren't familiar with them they are the ones with a Jeep on the side of their tanker trucks.

So after getting my rewards card (long story there too) I start filling up. After about 10 gallons I realized I'm dumping 87 octane into my jeep. :mad:

So I stop and wonder how long it will take to run 10 gallons out when I get the brilliant idea to fill up with 90 instead. So I put in 10.49 gallons of 87 and another 6.29 of 90. By my math that means I put in 16.78 gallons of 88.12 Ocatane.

The above is rather meaningless as I've ran 87 before without issue. However, I did learn two things:

1) the Mavrick gas station was pretty nice....as far as gas stations go anyway. Go check one out. :thumb:
2) I'm pretty sure my gas tank doesn't hold anywhere near 22 gallons!

:cheesy:

Even 1/16th or more below empty I've never put more than 18 gallons in. Eddie and I were both doing some downhill coasting for miles on JKX one day and put in 17 gallons. I know my skids are bent up but not 5 gallons. Need to run it dry to check.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

biggy

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Jeep is tuned for and Jeep recommends running 89. I just do what I'm told. :D

Thats news to me. I 've never had any problems with 87. I will check my manual when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

I've always wondered that too. If the low fuel light comes on and I fill up at most its 17 gallons. Either the owners manual lies or they give you lots of wiggle room with the low fuel light.

When the light comes on it means that you have 5 gallons left.

GCM 2

.... Mavrick gas station. If you aren't familiar with them they are the ones with a Jeep on the side of their tanker trucks.
:

I passed one of their ultra clean tanker trucks just before EVOlander, RubiCat, and EVOJEEP hit the trail on Sunday.....I took that as a sign it was going to be a good day in the dirt and rocks. It's cool to see that jeep on the side of their tankers coming off the rocks like its jumping off the truck. :rock:

87 is all I ever use. Regular unleaded.

My jeep believes its a high performance machine, I give it a treat and run premium ;)

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thats news to me. I 've never had any problems with 87. I will check my manual when I get home.

87 is all I ever use. Regular unleaded.

I only run 87 as well...

I just downloaded the Owner's manual from Jeep. 87 octaine is what is required. :doh:

I didn't even know you could buy 87 octane in the area. The shitty thing is now I have to drive out of my way to get it.

Edit: But admittedly I do not pay that much attention when getting gas. I usually just grab the red handle at Chevron.

Last edited:

Tigrcky

It the compression ratio in the engine higher octain fuels burn slower as higher compression engines need that's the basic explanation of it

Sent from my 3/8ths 6 inch extension

Moochie

I just downloaded the Owner's manual from Jeep. 87 octaine is what is required. :doh:

I didn't even know you could buy 87 octane in the area. The shitty thing is now I have to drive out of my way to get it.

Edit: But admittedly I do not pay that much attention when getting gas. I usually just grab the red handle at Chevron.

Just keep your hands off the green handle.

GCM 2

Just keep your hands off the green handle.

I say let him try.....I want to see if he can fit that much nozzle girth in to his jeeps orifice.

Authors note; first time in forum history the words "nozzle, girth, and orifice" have been used in one sentence.

LoPo

Caught the Bug

What are you talking about? Just about every gas station has 87 around here.

BTW Galena Market isn't a Chevron anymore. I think it's a 76 now. ;)

Top Bottom