The Butters JK Build

Shift Boot Repair

Earlier this week my shift boot decided it was done being where it was supposed to and just snapped clean off the console.
shiftBoot.jpg
Every single one of the little POS plastic rivets had given up the ghost. I decided rather than pay over $50 for a new one, I'd find a way to reattach it. I drilled out the rivets and found some computer case fan screws I had lying around that were just the right size.
shiftBootScrews.jpg
shiftBootRepaired.jpg
I would've rather used some hex button head machine screws, but I couldn't find any the right size. These worked out pretty well though.

Got some new-to-me 1st gen Trucklites today! Thanks Eddie!!
IMG_20171005_161416.jpg
IMG_20171005_162016.jpg
IMG_20171005_162621.jpg
IMG_20171005_201707.jpg
Really easy install. Took about 15 minutes and a huge improvement!

Tailgate/Tire Carrier

So I've been doing some brainstorming today. Here's a quick no-measure sketch of what I want to do:
tailgateConcept.png
I'm thinking 3/16 plate to keep it low profile. Lap joints to weld the pieces together and hopefully make up for the depth differences in the hinge and carrier mount points. Also, thinking I'll want some spacers welded under the plating at the mounting points to keep it off the paint. Still need to measure all this, but I think it could work.

Anyone have any input?

Last edited:
Good idea. Are you trying to build a stronger carrier for a larger tire I'm assuming?

Yeah, kinda. I've already got some rattle just with the 33" on there. The hinges are pretty worn out and I can bend the tailgate pretty easy by pushing/pulling on the tire. When these wear out I do want to go to 35" and I still want my tailgate mount for those. All the other options are just so bulky, heavy, expensive or get bad reviews.

Top Bottom