The ever so famous auto vs manual thread

This is what my throwout (thrust) bearing sounds like with 14k miles. My wife accidently touched the phone to the Jeep, but then you can hear what it sounds like after I push the clutch in...

Rticul8

This is what my throwout (thrust) bearing sounds like with 14k miles. My wife accidently touched the phone to the Jeep, but then you can hear what it sounds like after I push the clutch in...

Is it that the oem throw out bearings are bad quality? will an aftermarket beefier t.o.b fix the issue?

Is it that the oem throw out bearings are bad quality? will an aftermarket beefier t.o.b fix the issue?

:idontknow: ??? What I can tell you is there didn't seem to be very many aftermarket options (at least that I found) that had better feedback than the stock piece. Several seemed to comment on the appearance of better quality but still had failures. I looked into doing this myself, but I also have some other issues in the transmission that needed addressed too so I decided to hand it over... I'm hoping to hear something yet today on their findings.

For the record; I know tons of guys that have no issue at all with their 6-speed. I just happen to be the winner of one with some issues. As I said before though. I would still buy one again. (and likely will)

Last edited:

Rubicon55

My auto on my 2013 you can manually shift gears or downshift or leave in the same gear simply by moving shifter left or right. Will stay in gear selected until I bang the shifter to upshift. Love this option when offroad. But as this is my daily driver commuting in Boston traffic my leg isnt burnt out after a week. Bost of best worlds in my opinion.

Rticul8

My auto on my 2013 you can manually shift gears or downshift or leave in the same gear simply by moving shifter left or right. Will stay in gear selected until I bang the shifter to upshift. Love this option when offroad. But as this is my daily driver commuting in Boston traffic my leg isnt burnt out after a week. Bost of best worlds in my opinion.

I like the "tip tronic" feature. What kind of mileage you getting? Any issues with the auto? :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're not cheating you're not trying hard enough :D

:clap2: That's what I say. It's why I like having a 4:1 transfer case and lockers too :yup:

BTW, I got over 100,000 miles out of my manual transmission before swapping it out.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
:clap2: That's what I say. It's why I like having a 4:1 transfer case and lockers too :yup:

BTW, I got over 100,000 miles out of my manual transmission before swapping it out.

I am jealous of the new auto. If I had my way, it would have been an auto.

But it was not my choice...

Rticul8

100,000 miles and then you went to auto? That's almost at AX-15 territory lol I have hope

KingCopperhead

If you got 100k out of moby's transmission doing the stuff that I see you do in some of those videos, then I'm gonna just stop worrying about the durability of my transmission and the funky sounds that it makes :D:D

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

meanderjk

I purchased a 2013 w auto for one main reason - I wheel with my young children in the back. As you can imagine it can be distracting and I prefer to take the time to answer the million questions that they come up with in the middle of the woods. The last thing I want to think about is shifting gears. Rather I prefer just to settle in, enjoy the trip and welcome the peppering of questions while building some memories.

With the hill descent control (which works wonderfully in the woods and have tried on training courses) the difference between either is minimal with one exception. I was impressed watching a manual Jeep at full stop "walk" up a 30 degree hill just by leveraging the alternator.

Here is a link to a recent article discussing the issue from Exploring Overland

http://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-tech-travel/2014/8/10/automatically-better

Jim

Top Bottom