The Metamorphosis of MumboJumbo

bkac

Caught the Bug
I'm gonna need some skins and carrier installed soon, you an expert now? You do them solo?

I'm gonna need some skins and carrier installed soon, you an expert now? You do them solo?

Ancient Chinese Secret. It's all about pulling them really tight with ratchet straps and drilling the pilot holes with the skins in place. Then remove the skins and make the holes slightly larger for the nutserts. If done correctly, you'll use the ratchet straps again to fit the screws thru the skins into the nutserts. If you do it this way, the corners of the skins won't have much of a gap at all. A small piece of 1" wood works great for keeping the front level.

Note: If you wish to avoid a headache from Hell, go buy 4 bolts the same size as the Johnny Joints and thread them into the hinge holes prior to powdercoating. If you don't do this, you'll be doing as I did this morning and sat around while a machine shop retapped the threads for a fee of anywhere between $20 and $60. I paid $40, much cheaper than buying a tap for $100+. Also, when you order the carrier, be sure to specify what your bolt pattern is or you'll be grinding off welds for new bolts in the tire backing plate as I did today as well.

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Ancient Chinese Secret. It's all about pulling them really tight with ratchet straps and drilling the pilot holes with the skins in place. Then remove the skins and make the holes slightly larger for the nutserts. If done correctly, you'll use the ratchet straps again to fit the screws thru the skins into the nutserts. If you do it this way, the corners of the skins won't have much of a gap at all. A small piece of 1" wood works great for keeping the front level.

Note: If you wish to avoid a headache from Hell, go buy 4 bolts the same size as the Johnny Joints and thread them into the hinge holes prior to powdercoating. If you don't do this, you'll be doing as I did this morning and sat around while a machine shop retapped the threads for a fee of anywhere between $20 and $60. I paid $40, much cheaper than buying a tap for $100+. Also, when you order the carrier, be sure to specify what your bolt pattern is or you'll be grinding off welds for new bolts in the tire backing plate as I did today as well.

Man, sounds like a lot of speaking from experience right there! Thanks for making all the mistakes so I don't have to! Now that's taking one for the team right there!

Man, sounds like a lot of speaking from experience right there! Thanks for making all the mistakes so I don't have to! Now that's taking one for the team right there!

Well, when you live 30 miles from town you tend to learn pretty quick how to do it right the first time.. I'm still learning that part, lol.

Ok Panda, here's the pics. But FIRST, here's the disclaimer: This IS NOT a manufacturer error in any way shape or form. This was likely caused by powdercoat overspray that broke loose and got into the threads. The damage is from trying to remove the handle which screwed in easily. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430716073.264688.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430716221.921478.jpg

Top Bottom