This is a joke right?

GraniteCrystal

This reminds me of the time I offered some guy on CL less than asking price for his stuff and he told me to take the money and donate it to me Jewish synagogue. All over text. I guess Jews are frugal and he felt lowballed?

CastleRockJeep

This reminds me of the time I offered some guy on CL less than asking price for his stuff and he told me to take the money and donate it to me Jewish synagogue. All over text. I guess Jews are frugal and he felt lowballed?

Wow. I'm looking for a new bicycle and offered the guy less than he's asking, told me "it's priced to sell, meanwhile it's been listed for 3 weeks. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Wow! Asking a customer what they do for a living is like asking a girl how much they weigh. You just don't do that.. :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Tell the guy you got fired, but the good news is you found another shop that will only charge you $600 installed. Then go find another shop; this guy sounds like a real tool.

jkris

That guy is a tool. Steer clear. I put mine on and it took two hours by myself taking my time. Really it's not that complicated and there are install videos on YouTube of other brands installations you could view just to get an idea of what might be involved and what you are getting in to. But really it pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Jimmypaget

Oh I forgot it got better. He was trying to push the metal cloak and teraflex carrier on me as well. I asked him if he could tell me what makes them better than the EVO carrier. He said he could not tell me why theirs was better in any way! Done with that shop for good!

chris4x4

Wait. ......he really asked you what you do for a living before giving you a price?? You should have told him that when you weren't with his mom, you masturbate for meth........

chris4x4

This is a risk of getting estimates via text message but, reading that exchange, I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Here's why:

Right around 640
This is a ballpark figure because he says "around 640."

If you were to get it, 650
He's narrowed it down to a specific price and it's still around $640. I could see, however, how it could be misconstrued with "you" implying a different price from "not you." Text message...

720 + tax installed? Plus powder coat if needed
Now the price is the $650 with an additional $70 for installation which equals $720 (excluding tax in all cases).

Not sure if it is powder coated.
So he doesn't recall if the item comes powder coated at the $640 price point. He says he'll follow up and confirm an exact price for the item tomorrow, including whether it's the powder coated variety. It also sounds like the price on the written estimate (which would have avoided some misunderstanding here) could come in lower than what he's suggesting here.

Seems like the problem is he makes a harmless joke about your lucrative (or not, doesn't matter) line of work mixed in among your ballpark estimates, and all over text message without any other social cues.

I could be in the minority but I don't see any malicious intent here. YMMV.
Valid point. I still would have said I masturbate for meth though.......but.....left out the mom comment.....

Chris1015

Just to chime in, my jeep still hasn't been worked on yet. Finding someone in my area was a challenge. Similar feel I had as well. I'm going well out of state to have mine worked on.

The people I spoke to were very short in response (text/phone/person), felt like you were bothering/bantering them, cussing, not professional at all.

Hard to feel confident giving someone like that your hard earned money. Glad you're staying clear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jimmypaget

Just to chime in, my jeep still hasn't been worked on yet. Finding someone in my area was a challenge. Similar feel I had as well. I'm going well out of state to have mine worked on.

The people I spoke to were very short in response (text/phone/person), felt like you were bothering/bantering them, cussing, not professional at all.

Hard to feel confident giving someone like that your hard earned money. Glad you're staying clear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah. I mean there are a few shops around here that would do the install and get the product. Do I trust most of them? Not really. Only one shop I would trust around here to do it and it's the one that did my regear for me.

Top Bottom