Tire Carrier

blanereed

I'm looking at purchasing a new tire carrier, have a few I'm trying to decide between. Anyone that has ran any of these I would love you hear the pros/cons of each. I'm currently running a 37x13.50 Toyo but hopefully soon will be switching to 40's. The body mounted carriers say up to a 37" tire so if I do decide to go the 40's route, it wouldn't work. Thanks in advance for any info and opinions!

Excessive Industries:

IMG_1476377787.089619.jpg

DV8 Offroad:

IMG_1476377829.065868.jpg

Evo Mfg:

IMG_1476377847.467690.jpg

Evo Mfg:

IMG_1476377861.302634.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Also the excessive Offroad is a sweet idea, unless you want to take any kind of tools... or put a top on and still be able to get the tire in and out... or go on a trip and have cargo of any kind...

blanereed

Also the excessive Offroad is a sweet idea, unless you want to take any kind of tools... or put a top on and still be able to get the tire in and out... or go on a trip and have cargo of any kind...

I agree, the DV8 is deff a ripoff of genright's just without the $1,000 price tag. I do however really like the look of the Excessive Industries carrier, but I had the same concerns, not being able to put much in the cargo area. The only thing I don't like about the evo carrier is the fact they state you have to have their corner armer installed in order to mount it, which means more money spent, but with that I know Evo's products are second to none

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I mean the look of the excessive is really cool and the function is great for a show/ manufacturers rig so when it does hit a trail it can do all the cool stuff and another Jeep can have the tools and cooler [emoji23]

raven12

Excessive Industries also has one that mounts directly to the rear of the cage and retains cargo space. I want to get this for next summer season. I just put my top back on :crybaby:

13669742_1731993810399888_2753963335915808914_n.jpg 13707633_1731993847066551_7119105537101899968_n.jpg

J

JKDream

Crawler conceptz is rated at a 40" as far as I know.

The dv8 you posted basically looks like a rip off of genright to me

Would advise against this one. Just got mine two weeks ago. Tolerances are really poor. Lots of stuff needing to be cut/re-drilled to fit. Also came coated in machine oil which made painting a nightmare.

••CC carrier

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Would advise against this one. Just got mine two weeks ago. Tolerances are really poor. Lots of stuff needing to be cut/re-drilled to fit. Also came coated in machine oil which made painting a nightmare.

••CC carrier

The crawler conceptz? I have always heard great things about this carrier and is the carrier I've been planning on getting....

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

••CC carrier
Interesting. You're the first truly negative review I've seen. Do you have any photos?

J

JKDream

The crawler conceptz? I have always heard great things about this carrier and is the carrier I've been planning on getting....

Interesting. You're the first truly negative review I've seen. Do you have any photos?

Yes it was the Crawler Conceptz body mounted carrier.
I can certainly upload some, I'm at work at the moment though.
There was multiple fitment issues, not like a "tight tolerence to not rattle" type of fitment.
It was really poorly cut. The tire carrier W shape portion that attaches to the carrier had the bolt holes off by ~1/2 an inch.
I had to re-drill that and grind the top of the slotted portion to get the bolts through.
They also hit eachother underneath due to the bolts being too long, so I couldn't tighten them all the way.
Brackets also needed to be put into a vice and opened up. Hammered my tailgate arms(?) into the bracket for at least half an hour and they wouldn't fit.
Now the tailgate feels extremely heavy to open. I assume this will loosen up over time.

Tried painting it a couple seperate times, still not sticking. Taking it all apart again tomorrow and going to try another time.

Another part I just remembered, the wheel stud mounting plate had the holes drilled too small. The wheel studs won't fully seat even with an air impact.
When I take the spare off, the studs just fall out of the slots. So I have to try and lift my spare (37) while fiddling with these wheel studs :/

Last edited by a moderator:

TFD

There was multiple fitment issues, not like a "tight tolerence to not rattle" type of fitment.
It was really poorly cut. The tire carrier W shape portion that attaches to the carrier had the bolt holes off by ~1/2 an inch.
I had to re-drill that and grind the top of the slotted portion to get the bolts through.
They also hit eachother underneath due to the bolts being too long, so I couldn't tighten them all the way.
Brackets also needed to be put into a vice and opened up. Hammered my tailgate arms(?) into the bracket for at least half an hour and they wouldn't fit.
Now the tailgate feels extremely heavy to open. I assume this will loosen up over time.

Tried painting it a couple seperate times, still not sticking. Taking it all apart again tomorrow and going to try another time.

Another part I just remembered, the wheel stud mounting plate had the holes drilled too small. The wheel studs won't fully seat even with an air impact.
When I take the spare off, the studs just fall out of the slots. So I have to try and lift my spare (37) while fiddling with these wheel studs :/

Interesting. Mine fit with 0 problems. Did you call crawler conceptz?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

That is a bummer. I do encourage you to start a thread on your issues and any help CC provides (or doesn't provide).

J

JKDream

Interesting. Mine fit with 0 problems. Did you call crawler conceptz?

No I have not as of yet.
Last I heard they were at the Offroad Expo last week and it was Canadian thanksgiving last weekend.
It's not a bad carrier, it is quite strong. I wasn't very impressed at with the quality control though.
Had I not cut my tailgate hinges before finding this out, I probably wouldn't have installed it.

Top Bottom