Tire choice to run the Rubicon trail??

LloydChristmas

Hi all - I been wheeling a good bit locally and east coast style and I'm now planning on doing an out West trip this summer to Colorado and then out through Utah (only 1 day in Moab, probably Gemini Brides trail or maybe the Rim trail) and onto the Rubicon trail. I am meeting a friend and we are going with the Jeep Jamboree as he signed us up so there will be others and some support. I have 2 JKURs (2013 10A and 2014 JKURX - both with 2.5 coil lifts and 315/70/17s) however my 2014 has all my skids on it (LCAs, Oil/Tranny/Engine, Diff covers being added real soon, etc) and higher gearing it so I plan on taking that jeep. My question is that this 2014 I plan on taking has 315/70/17 GY Duratracs while the jeep I wont be taking has 315/70/17 Pro Comp MT Extreme (3 ply). I think I know my answer is to switch tires before the trip but I wanted to ask those of you who have run the Rubicon (not so much worried about Colorado) if I should switch or I will be ok with the Duratracs. I have wheeled these Duratracs and had no issues but I am thinking I should decrease my chances of ripping a sidewall. I do have full size spares for both sets. Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited:

safecracker909

I would run with the pro comps that you have as long as you can. You have a spare and if you are worried about sidewalk damaged, invest $40 into an ARB plug kit.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
The Duratracs are a great tire and I know many people that love them. I wouldn't hesitate to run them on the Rubicon.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I ran the entire rubi and not easy on those tires, they did amazingly great. Just run them around 12psi, or at least that's what I did. Duratracs rock for all around.

LloydChristmas

Thanks for the feedback so far. Early read is Duratracs will be ok. I do have a plug kit. Any mor feedback, keep it coming. Thanks.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I ran Duratracs...best snow tire I have ever used. Their one downfall is the strength of the sidewall (or lack thereof). I'm not saying don't take them on the Rubicon, but I would be rather cautious about how far you air them down. A plug kit won't be worth squat when you put a gash in the sidewall.

Edit: just noticed you are doing the JJ. Your tires will be fine. They do a lot of work on the trail for the run.

Last edited:

LloydChristmas

I ran Duratracs...best snow tire I have ever used. Their one downfall is the strength of the sidewall (or lack thereof). I'm not saying don't take them on the Rubicon, but I would be rather cautious about how far you air them down. A plug kit won't be worth squat when you put a gash in the sidewall.

Edit: just noticed you are doing the JJ. Your tires will be fine. They do a lot of work on the trail for the run.

Thanks Sharkey!

Top Bottom