Tire Load queation

jkwebbie

So what's the difference in a tire that's Load E, D and so on? How do they differ from each other? Are some harder than others(that's what she said, I know lol) or last longer or ride softer than the rest? I'm just trying to figure it out so I get a set of tires I know I'll like and not want to change out in 3000 miles lol.

The only thing i dislike about my 35 toyos, is that theyre E rated. They are very stiff. So much so that at 15 psi, i can barely see that theyre aired down. Pretty unforgiving on the road i feel like. Im going to look for a C rated tire next time.

The letter usually relates to the ply rating. The farther down the alphabet the more plies. More plies means stiffer sidewall. I am personally not a fan of an "E" on a Jeep, especially a 2-door due to the poor ride and wall flex. That being said, the trade off is tougher sidewalls for the trail. For me a "D" is the sweet spot. Unfortunately, the two tires I am considering for my next set will likely be an E as that is all that is available in the size I want.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The only thing i dislike about my 35 toyos, is that theyre E rated. They are very stiff. So much so that at 15 psi, i can barely see that theyre aired down. Pretty unforgiving on the road i feel like. Im going to look for a C rated tire next time.

Yup, my Toyos are E rated as well. I felt brave at the end of summer run and went to 10psi. They seemed to flex a lot better.

07JKSahara

I had E rated Nittos on my 2 door, and I didn't mind it. I would run about 8 psi off road. I ran about 24 on the street, 30 for long trips for some added MPG. My 2 door was really light too.

I'm putting the exact same tires on my new land yacht, so I'll update this in a week or so and let you know how it differs.

So what's the difference in a tire that's Load E, D and so on? How do they differ from each other? Are some harder than others(that's what she said, I know lol) or last longer or ride softer than the rest? I'm just trying to figure it out so I get a set of tires I know I'll like and not want to change out in 3000 miles lol.

The ratings are equivalent to the ply. More ply, more stiff. Factory Rubicon BFG's are 6 ply.

C = 6 ply
D = 8 ply
E = 10 ply

jkwebbie

Thanks guys!!! The only shit I could really find about the difference in the tires were the weight ratings on them, which j figured made them more stiff. So I think I'm going to try and find a Load D tire for my Jeep. Seems to be the best of both worlds

Bustedback

Some tire shops in California (Les Schwab) won't mount "E" rated tires on anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. They claim it's for liability reasons.

Some tire shops in California (Les Schwab) won't mount "E" rated tires on anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. They claim it's for liability reasons.

These places crack me up! "No, we won't sell you a set of $350 tires because we are concerned for your safety." (But they hire one certified tech to be the ring leader of a bunch of misfits that barely know how to wipe their butts and turn them loose on your car as if that isn't a "liability".)

A.J.

Typically tire stores (like Schwabs) will sell you a higher load capacity tire, but not lower. The opposite of what you posted. They will not put a 6ply tire on a 3/4 or 1ton truck. There is no safety issue going to a heavier load tire, just ride quality. Just imagine the liability issue if they sold you 4ply tires for your 1ton truck and you load it up with concrete bags and a trailer with a bobcat on it. Then gleefully head down the highway and blow a tire, loose control of vehicle and trailer and kill a family headed to Disneyland for vacation.

Bustedback

The one in my town won't put a heavier rated tire on in fear of people over loading their half ton pickup and breaking an axle. I guess they got burned once and made it their policy not to put an E on a light duty truck.

The one in my town won't put a heavier rated tire on in fear of people over loading their half ton pickup and breaking an axle. I guess they got burned once and made it their policy not to put an E on a light duty truck.

:doh: Hahahah, because selling them a lower rated tire will stop them? :cheesy: I'd much rather have them blow a tire up AND brake their axle when it's over-loaded.

Let's face it, you can't fix stupid!

Top Bottom