Tool info

Jimmy1934

Hey folks I have a question please, I’ve been watching wayalife videos and I’m gonna try some work myself. What range of metric sockets would I need and what strength of a torque wrench would I need? Are there any other tools I would need? Thanks for any advice. Jimmy

Hey folks I have a question please, I’ve been watching wayalife videos and I’m gonna try some work myself. What range of metric sockets would I need and what strength of a torque wrench would I need? Are there any other tools I would need? Thanks for any advice. Jimmy
Some parts use as low as 8mm all the way up to 27mm. Most socket “kits” don’t include an 18mm which you will need. Most 1/2” drive torque wrenches go up to 250 ft lbs which is plenty.

EDIT: You will need a 36mm for front axle shaft nut and 12point 13mm for unit bearing bolts.

Last edited:
1/2" torque for majority of bolts, I'd also recommend a 1/4 or 3/8 torque wrench that has a good range of inch pounds for spark plugs and other small bolts since it sounds like you're just starting out.

Overtightened bolts can break, smaller bolts tend to snap easier since they also stretch easier.

Test your 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrench(es) before 1st use. I've used several 1/4 inch that either did not "click" or they clicked so quietly that I snapped bolts or cracked plastic parts.

Deep sockets I use most often, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm.

metric Hex Key Wrench Set

Long pry bar - harbor freight has some nice 3' bars, I use it to wedge the hubs in place when replacing them or invest in a 1/2 inch Milwaukee impact (y)

1/2" torque for majority of bolts, I'd also recommend a 1/4 or 3/8 torque wrench that has a good range of inch pounds for spark plugs and other small bolts since it sounds like you're just starting out.

Overtightened bolts can break, smaller bolts tend to snap easier since they also stretch easier.

Test your 1/4 and 3/8 torque wrench(es) before 1st use. I've used several 1/4 inch that either did not "click" or they clicked so quietly that I snapped bolts or cracked plastic parts.

Deep sockets I use most often, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm.

metric Hex Key Wrench Set

Long pry bar - harbor freight has some nice 3' bars, I use it to wedge the hubs in place when replacing them or invest in a 1/2 inch Milwaukee impact (y)
Milwaukee impacts all day! Best investment I made.

Another good thread for ideas:

Some parts use as low as 8mm all the way up to 27mm. Most socket “kits” don’t include an 18mm which you will need. Most 1/2” drive torque wrenches go up to 250 ft lbs which is plenty.

EDIT: You will need a 36mm for front axle shaft nut and 12point 13mm for unit bearing bolts.
Thank you

Eddie who owns the site turned a lot of us into TEKTON tools. I freaking love them if you can wait for Mail order. They’re very fast at shipping.

https://www.tekton.com/

The single best time saver I got from them is this magnetic conversion chart. Put a wrench on a weird bolt and you can easily go up or down in imperial or metric. Today I figured out my upper shock bolts aren’t metric! 13/16ths for the win!

https://www.tekton.com/conversion-chart-magnet-apg40003

Eddie who owns the site turned a lot of us into TEKTON tools. I freaking love them if you can wait for Mail order. They’re very fast at shipping.

https://www.tekton.com/

The single best time saver I got from them is this magnetic conversion chart. Put a wrench on a weird bolt and you can easily go up or down in imperial or metric. Today I figured out my upper shock bolts aren’t metric! 13/16ths for the win!

https://www.tekton.com/conversion-chart-magnet-apg40003
Thank you!

One thing I've been doing over the years of owning my Jeep.... is I work on my Jeep with the tools that are in my Jeep. I ignore my garage toolbox. And if I find I need to use something out of my garage toolbox... it then goes into the Jeep. Basically I now have a large list of tools I need to replenish to keep in the garage... If that makes sense.

Instead of going out and spending hundreds of dollars on "sets" and "kits" of tools, I'd recommend finding out exactly everything you'll need to get your next project on the Jeep done - which you'll find can mostly be done with a good 1/2 ratchet, 8mm to 22mm sockets, and their corresponding wrenches as others have mentioned.

If it's an aftermarket application, most instruction manuals, or even in the item description online, have the required tools and equipment listed. If it's an adjustment, repair, or replacement of an OE component then Eddie has a plethora of good write ups on here for aftermarket installations and regular maintenance, and of course his videos you can visually reference.

So start project by project and your tool collection will grow. A few essential investments like an impact gun, a wrench and ratchet set, and a torque wrench will push you in the right direction, and you'll probably come to find it will be all you need for a while.

Instead of going out and spending hundreds of dollars on "sets" and "kits" of tools, I'd recommend finding out exactly everything you'll need to get your next project on the Jeep done - which you'll find can mostly be done with a good 1/2 ratchet, 8mm to 22mm sockets, and their corresponding wrenches as others have mentioned.

If it's an aftermarket application, most instruction manuals, or even in the item description online, have the required tools and equipment listed. If it's an adjustment, repair, or replacement of an OE component then Eddie has a plethora of good write ups on here for aftermarket installations and regular maintenance, and of course his videos you can visually reference.

So start project by project and your tool collection will grow. A few essential investments like an impact gun, a wrench and ratchet set, and a torque wrench will push you in the right direction, and you'll probably come to find it will be all you need for a while.
Thank you

Top Bottom