Trail Recon...

I have to say, I totally disagree with you on this. Just because things are already posted publicly online or in trail books doesn't mean that you have to be a part of the problem too. The whole "it is what it is" IS the problem and why things are as fucked up as they are.
I didn’t even consider that but you’re right. I’m guilty of just going along with something because “it is what it is”. Great point.

This is bullshit. Pisses me off to no end. People will drive completely out of their way to dump their shit in the forest rather than take it to a landfill. They spend more on gas than they would the fees to properly dispose of it. A lot of places take mattresses, appliances, bbqs, etc for free. These people are pure trash.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
1000% and it’s a big reason that I came here and enjoy staying and, why like many here I am grateful that you do take us to these places. It’s also bothersome to me that this info is even made public at all. You made very good point that I didn’t even think of or consider in your second post about how to combat this kind of stuff. Which is why I enjoy having these conversations and when you offer up your thoughts, I respect them.

I do know you personally and I’m grateful for that friendship and the fact that we can have these exchanges because I always learn something.

Not bothersome enough to not defend the dude. These two posts are completely contradicting.

Yes I do know Brad personally. The coordinates he posts and shares are ones either already posted publicly online or in trails books. Which I wish none of it was posted at al but… is what it is I guess. The internet has fucked up a lot things for everyone including the off-road community.

JimLee

Hooked
I honestly think nothing is going to change, the cat is out of the bag so to speak, and even if one person decides to quit posting such information 10 more will pop up and do the same and not GAF about what others in the community have to say, I hope it changes but I have adjusted my approach because I have very little faith in human nature anymore. This very issue is one of the reasons for upgrading my Jeep to be very capable off road, if I can get farther off road than the casuals I don't have to deal with them or their messes. One of my favorite trails leads to an amazing piece of history that is still very much intact and unmolested, because it is hard to get to, not hardcore crawling but several hours of "medium" offroading (maybe a 5 out of 10, but it gets more difficult every year as the trail is unmaintained), most people and or their vehicles don't have the stamina to do the whole trip. Big problem in SoCal nowadays is everybody and their brothers now has or can afford a side by side, they flee the cesspool cities on the weekends and come to areas like mine to trash it on the weekends, and getting farther than them is difficult if you are not doing a multi day trip. Not bashing on side by side owners in general, but lets face it, it takes alot of money and dedication to build an offroad vehicle that can go where a out of the box razer can go. One thing is for sure, trails are closing in California faster than you can find them, I'm not so sure that this explosion of people getting back to the outdoors is really such a good thing.

Not bothersome enough to not defend the dude. These two posts are completely contradicting.
Yeah I didn’t defend the guy. Just answered a question about knowing who he is and elaborated on my knowledge of what he’s doing. Even said I didn’t agree with it. And then admitted that Eddie made a point that I hadn’t considered so yeah, they would contradict because he made me realize I made an error in my judgement.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I honestly think nothing is going to change, the cat is out of the bag so to speak, and even if one person decides to quit posting such information 10 more will pop up and do the same and not GAF about what others in the community have to say, I hope it changes but I have adjusted my approach because I have very little faith in human nature anymore. This very issue is one of the reasons for upgrading my Jeep to be very capable off road, if I can get farther off road than the casuals I don't have to deal with them or their messes. One of my favorite trails leads to an amazing piece of history that is still very much intact and unmolested, because it is hard to get to, not hardcore crawling but several hours of "medium" offroading (maybe a 5 out of 10, but it gets more difficult every year as the trail is unmaintained), most people and or their vehicles don't have the stamina to do the whole trip. Big problem in SoCal nowadays is everybody and their brothers now has or can afford a side by side, they flee the cesspool cities on the weekends and come to areas like mine to trash it on the weekends, and getting farther than them is difficult if you are not doing a multi day trip. Not bashing on side by side owners in general, but lets face it, it takes alot of money and dedication to build an offroad vehicle that can go where a out of the box razer can go. One thing is for sure, trails are closing in California faster than you can find them, I'm not so sure that this explosion of people getting back to the outdoors is really such a good thing.
well said. For one...I'd say...move the F out of Ca. I lived there back in early ninety's and don't ever plan to go back there. Maybe Rubicon.
I have lost faith as well and hate Fn UTV's and most the people who RENT them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly think nothing is going to change, the cat is out of the bag so to speak, and even if one person decides to quit posting such information 10 more will pop up and do the same and not GAF about what others in the community have to say, I hope it changes but I have adjusted my approach because I have very little faith in human nature anymore.
I disagree. I personally know people who are familiar with trails and destinations and don't share this information online. I personally know of tons of trails and destinations that most would love to know about and that I would NEVER share, especially on YouTube. Even now, when I go to these places, they are still unmolested. I have little doubt that I could make videos about them and get tons of views but Cindy and I made a decision a long time ago, to NOT be a part of the problem. So far, it's helped.

That shit really bothers me...and I'm afraid to clean up a pile like that, not knowing what I'm going to find...
It’s really bad out here in the west Utah desert. Not sure if it’s all the Mormons dumping their 4th wives shit or the local church getting rid of unwanted donations but fuck… can’t go anywhere out here and not find garbage.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
It’s really bad out here in the west Utah desert. Not sure if it’s all the Mormons dumping their 4th wives shit or the local church getting rid of unwanted donations but fuck… can’t go anywhere out here and not find garbage.
It's because no one enforces the litter laws. Philly is one of the most litter ridden city in the country...and it is the 5th largest city. You will see litter where the majority doesn't give a fuck! Doesn't matter what state. One thing I use to appreciate about San Francisco is how clean it was. From what I hear it has literally gone to SHIT. SLC and Portland Or, also clean.
Start shooting mother fuckers when they litter and I bet it would cease!

JimLee

Hooked
I disagree. I personally know people who are familiar with trails and destinations and don't share this information online. I personally know of tons of trails and destinations that most would love to know about and that I would NEVER share, especially on YouTube. Even now, when I go to these places, they are still unmolested. I have little doubt that I could make videos about them and get tons of views but Cindy and I made a decision a long time ago, to NOT be a part of the problem. So far, it's helped.
I wish I had the same faith in people as you Eddie, especially when money and internet "fame" are on the line. IMO we are in a new era of selfishness and greed. For every conscientious social media personality out there (such as yourself) I see a bunch of new ones popping up all the time who care about nothing but the popularity and the money (of course not everyone is making money, but lets face it, in todays culture popularity seems to be just as addicting). I hope you are right and I am wrong, and I applaud your decision to not be part of the problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I had the same faith in people as you Eddie, especially when money and internet "fame" are on the line. IMO we are in a new era of selfishness and greed. For every conscientious social media personality out there (such as yourself) I see a bunch of new ones popping up all the time who care about nothing but the popularity and the money (of course not everyone is making money, but lets face it, in todays culture popularity seems to be just as addicting). I hope you are right and I am wrong, and I applaud your decision to not be part of the problem.
LOL - I have zero faith in most people and totally agree with everything that you just said. What I am saying is that there are a few of us out there, people who do care and try our hardest to do what we can. If more people would do the same, people with "influence", I think it could make a difference. But hey, maybe I'm just being overly optimistic.

Yeah I don’t agree with sharing these locations even if they’re already posted but I can tell you he’s not doing anything with malicious intent. I think deep down he’s really passionate about off-roading and he wants to share that with everyone. Sometimes it’s misplaced.
I watch his channel sometimes and he does make a point of not sharing coordinates of places which are not well known. This is what reputable YouTubers do.

The ones who break community trust should be pilloried.

I watch his channel sometimes and he does make a point of not sharing coordinates of places which are not well known. This is what reputable YouTubers do.

The ones who break community trust should be pilloried.
Eddie and others make a good point though. Just because other people have made it public doesn’t make it the right thing to do. I honestly think with his influence, Brad should be helping to solve the problem, not adding to it. I didn’t realize that point until Eddie and others made me aware of it.

Top Bottom