Truck light headlights are yours bright?

So I bought some truck lights with the anti flicker harness and installed a few days ago. At night driving with the low beams isn't the greatest. The seem really dim. When I pass other cars I notice my lights being drown out by other lights and have difficulty seeing at times. I'd like to believe that the lights possibly aren't working correctly? I did adjust them as per the headlight adjustment I found here.

High beams are a different story. I was like holy expletive when I turned them on.

Thoughts anyone?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really? Mine do such a great job of illuminating the road, I don't know how the hell I saw anything before I installed mine.

Just to verify, at 25' back, the center of your beams hit at about 3' up off the ground, correct?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My guess is you adjusted them too low. I did that originally and had to go back and readjust them

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I agree with the posts above. Mine are very bright, would it be possible to post a photo of what they look like at night?

BigBoy

I was a little underwhelmed myself. All the hype about how much better they are than stock I was expecting more I guess. They ARE much better than stock, but still was expecting a bit moe. The beam pattern is pretty bad for the cost of the lights. Mine have a lot of hot spots. I pulled out my stockers and installed these with no adjustments. Maybe an adjustment would make them better but I can't see it making a huge difference.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I was a little underwhelmed myself. All the hype about how much better they are than stock I was expecting more I guess. They ARE much better than stock, but still was expecting a bit moe. The beam pattern is pretty bad for the cost of the lights. Mine have a lot of hot spots. I pulled out my stockers and installed these with no adjustments. Maybe an adjustment would make them better but I can't see it making a huge difference.

It does make a difference. Especially if you are in a lifted Jeep an didn't adjust your stock headlights.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep is still on stock suspension and stock tires. That's why I left them in the stock setting.

And, that's probably why your underwhelmed. You ASSUMED nothing has changed but you NEED to adjust your headlights after installing new headlights. The plastic frame that they're mounted to allows for way too much movement and your beams are most likely off. I typically recommend you adjust your lights even if you're just installing new factory headlights.

BigBoy

And, that's probably why your underwhelmed. You ASSUMED nothing has changed but you NEED to adjust your headlights after installing new headlights. The plastic frame that they're mounted to allows for way too much movement and your beams are most likely off. I typically recommend you adjust your lights even if you're just installing new factory headlights.

What I assumed during install was that if I needed to adjust, there would have been a note from truck lite about making the adjustment. However there were no installation instructions or notes provided with my set of lights. Sounds like I need to find a wall 25 feet away. Hopefully the proper adjustment makes a difference.

UNLIMITED_FUN

Are mine bright? Oh hells ya!

Agreed on alignment..

I have mine on a 2.5" lift on 35's and that X pattern is about 30' - 35' out in front, and these are hella bright.

Last night coming back to the city from visiting friends, my overall beam width, throw and brightness was well above every other car out there. It was MY truck on regular beams illuminating the road signs on the freeway not the other cars. In my case when I mounted my lights they were already where they needed to be, but aligning them and cinching down the anti-flicker modules is something that comes with the installation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I assumed during install was that if I needed to adjust, there would have been a note from truck lite about making the adjustment. However there were no installation instructions or notes provided with my set of lights.

What you ASSUME is that if you were to buy a set of IPF, Sylvania's or even OE factory replacement lights, there would be a note with them talking about the need to make adjustments. Fact of the matter is, there is NONE to be found just like there are no instructions that come with a new oil filter, set of new tires, etc. :naw:

Sounds like I need to find a wall 25 feet away. Hopefully the proper adjustment akes a difference.

Well, if nothing else, it's something you haven't done. If the lights still suck to you after that, sell them and call it a day.

Really? Mine do such a great job of illuminating the road, I don't know how the hell I saw anything before I installed mine.

Just to verify, at 25' back, the center of your beams hit at about 3' up off the ground, correct?

Yes that's how I adjusted them. I have a whole day schedule of jeep maintenance. I'll double check again tonight.

I know the OEM lights are crap and these are almost worse. I'm not product bashing here because I have used there products before on military applications. They were amazing. I almost think something is wrong. We will see.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that's how I adjusted them. I have a whole day schedule of jeep maintenance. I'll double check again tonight.

I know the OEM lights are crap and these are almost worse. I'm not product bashing here because I have used there products before on military applications. They were amazing. I almost think something is wrong. We will see.....

Really?? Well, if you really think they are almost worse, I have to wonder if you're not getting enough voltage to the lights. I would try removing the anti-flicker modules and see if that makes a difference.

JAGS

Hooked
^^ there is no way one would say they are worse. At least not with the ones I have.

Take it out tonight and post up some pic. Many of us have these and can at least tell if that's the output we have.

Maybe take out the harness as Eddie said first. Then post up pics. 👍

BigBoy

What you ASSUME is that if you were to buy a set of IPF, Sylvania's or even OE factory replacement lights, there would be a note with them talking about the need to make adjustments. Fact of the matter is, there is NONE to be found just like there are no instructions that come with a new oil filter, set of new tires, etc. :naw:.

My assumption yes, but not even their installation video shows or even mentions adjustment. If a simple adjustment improves the quality of their product, one would think they would mention it. Another assumption by me I know, but if it were my product and I knew a simple adjustment would vastly improve its performance, I would be sure to advise my customers.

Well, if nothing else, it's something you haven't done. If the lights still suck to you after that, sell them and call it a day.

I never said I thought they sucked. Don't get me wrong they are way better than stock and are a good upgrade. I just expected more from all the reviews. I'm really hoping adjusting them changes my feeling of being underwhelmed.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I've sometimes found that in the city with lots of yellow streetlights and other cars with yellow lights sometimes the white light of my trucklites gets drowned out. However whenever I'm on the dark highways I really notice how good the trucklites are.

Has anyone else had this happen or noticed it ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My assumption yes, but not even their installation video shows or even mentions adjustment. If a simple adjustment improves the quality of their product, one would think they would mention it. Another assumption by me I know, but if it were my product and I knew a simple adjustment would vastly improve its performance, I would be sure to advise my customers.

LOL!! One would think but if manufacturers of parts did that, I wouldn't be where I am today. Well before there were Youtube videos on the internet, I wrote detailed installation write-ups for just about everything I could - hell, still do. Why? Because most everything I've ever bought over the last 20+ years either came with really bad instructions or more times than not, NO instructions at all. If there's any assumption to be made - it's that you'll have to figure things out on your own.

I never said I thought they sucked. Don't get me wrong they are way better than stock and are a good upgrade. I just expected more from all the reviews. I'm really hoping adjusting them changes my feeling of being underwhelmed.

:cheesy: They are "way better than stock" but you still feel underwhelmed??

You know, there's a reason why it's illegal to run around with your high beams on and why Truck-Lite LED's are DOT approved.

JAGS

Hooked

You know, there's a reason why it's illegal to run around with your high beams on and why Truck-Lite LED's are DOT approved.

I've sometimes found that in the city with lots of yellow streetlights and other cars with yellow lights sometimes the white light of my trucklites gets drowned out. However whenever I'm on the dark highways I really notice how good the trucklites are.

Both great statements. I notice the max benefits of my trucklites when I need them most, such as when no other vehicles or street lights.

Maybe people are confusing these "headlights" with spot Cree LEDs. Which are not street legal.

There are soooo many vids and pics of TLs, how could one be surprised and not know what they are buying???

BigBoy

The difference in color temperature is noticeable to me. But I can still se better under the yellow street lights better than with the stock lights that didn't even appear to be on at times under the same conditions.

LOL!! One would think but if manufacturers of parts did that, I wouldn't be where I am today. Well before there were Youtube videos on the internet, I wrote detailed installation write-ups for just about everything I could - hell, still do. Why? Because most everything I've ever bought over the last 20+ years either came with really bad instructions or more times than not, NO instructions at all. If there's any assumption to be made - it's that you'll have to figure things out on your own..

Haha, I guess I should have references YOUR write up. The adjustment note is right there at the bottom!! Doing this tonight for sure.

For the price, I didn't to expect to see so many hot spots. I was expecting a "cleaner" light output. So yes a little underwhelmed, but they are way better than stock given the fact that I can see in front of me at night now. 😄 It's more a value for money sort of thing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, I guess I should have references YOUR write up. The adjustment note is right there at the bottom!! Doing this tonight for sure.

Won't guarantee that it'll make a huge difference if any at all but it is something I would recommend doing and really, what have you got to lose.

For the price, I didn't to expect to see so many hot spots. I was expecting a "cleaner" light output. So yes a little underwhelmed, but they are way better than stock given the fact that I can see in front of me at night now.  It's more a value for money sort of thing.

As you will see in my write-up, I do make a note about the hot spots and in some ways, the lack of them is one of the things I like about the older style lights better. But, if you can be forgiving of the hot spots, I still think they are a much better solution over a set of OE lights, Sylvania Sliver Starts or IPF's. There are definitely brighter lights out there but they are also painful to look at and in some states, illegal to run because of it.

Top Bottom