Updated Texas Hidden Falls Adventure Park Newbie Run Oct 2nd-3rd

daverawr

First off I want to say a BIG thanks for letting me and my cousin, Clint (he has the white XJ) tag along this weekend even though we don't rock JKs:dont_tell:. We had the best time and felt right at home. I really enjoyed meeting/wheeling with everyone. We joined in on the night ride and it was awesome. After most everybody left on Saturday evening, 4 of us hit up Rocky again, this time in the daylight. Fun trail. I would also like to echo the earlier statements about George. I want to thank you sir for taking the time to teach/share with those who are new to the hobby and for being so patient. One of things I loved most about everyone I met this weekend was the fact that there were no egos on display; just a bunch of guys and gals having a good time doing what we all love. And I am definitely in for the next run.......

Oh and for grins, here is a "poser" pic at the clearing up on Rocky

View attachment 168040

It was great meeting you, your son and cousin this weekend! And that amazing fire ring he "built" ahah ! Unfortunately didnt get any pics of your car on the trail but heres one to a great set of camping buddies! _MG_9961.jpg

jpat30

Hey Dave,
Thanks for getting my big balding noggin in that pic......lol. It was nice getting to know you and Mo and your dogs and glad you enjoyed the fire. It got pretty chilly Friday night so it was very welcoming I know that. Look forward to wheeling with you again soon.

Kumar

Figured I'd share this "oh shit" moment pic that happened Sunday afternoon after everyone left. Enjoy ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444183407.833671.jpg

Kumar

No good story there, just picked a bad line. I found a group that was going out Sunday and joined in. Everyone was taking an easier line up and avoiding the fun stuff so I decided I'd try the side they were avoiding. Needless to say, I approached it wrong and almost flopped.

iRonin

I usually air down to 12psi on the stock Rubicon wheels/tires... I haven't had a problem yet.

iRonin, what do you air those MASSIVE tires down too?

What you saw this weekend was 12-13ish PSI, which I think felt a little too stiff still, I was just too lazy to sync my Stauns down lower at the last second. e.g. 12-13 is what I was running on my previous tires as well, 35" Kelly Safari TSRs. I will say this about the other factor that has remained the same between new and old: I'm still rocking the same Procomp 5182 series wheels- they do a damn good job of keeping their bead. I've had myself twisted up full weight and rubbed deep enough on rock juts where I was sure I was going to lose it, but the worst that's ever happened in 2 years of wheeling the piss out of the TSRs was a slashed sidewall up at Stillwater.

Having said all that, for Hidden Falls I've seen folks hang around in the 15-18 range without issue.

So here are some of the pictures my wife, Angela, took. She tried to get as many rigs as she could but she was also learning the ropes on spotting so not everyone was not part of her shots but hopefully others will post up!! Having mostly shots of R2 in her camera is kind of boring. :crazyeyes:

These are not in any chronological order but I did try to group the trails and obstacles together.

These are great! It still trips me out seeing my Jeep through other people's eyes, I'm used to having to take my own pics which is nearly impossible while wheeling/spotting, so pass along my thanks and if your wife has an Instagram, let me know so I can credit the source :D

The Double D... assuming I can get a decent wrenching party together. I don't have the tools to instal the long arms. I'll either have to start buying tools, and push back the lift, or settle for the enforcer. But honestly, upgrading to the long arms after the fact will cost over $700 more then going with the Double D right off the bat, not to mention the adjustable lower control arms from the enforcer kit no longer being used... buy once, cry once right?

This was my same thought process - e.g. even if later on I decide to go full tilt throwdown/evolever/coilovers I can at least rest knowing that I get to keep all my arms and could easily resell the Plush Rides.

I am in the same boat. I forgot to ride in his this weekend. Not that I can't before I pull the trigger but I am seriously considering buying what I need to finish out this phase sooner than later which is about 11 months from now (the lift, drive shaft, wheels, Zeon 10 and couple other goodies). I am stuck between Enforcer 4" with 2.5 Kings or DD with 2.5 Kings with the plan of going to COs in about 5-7 years when I do a motor swap. Or I could just save a bunch of money and go with the free Bilsteins via Northridge.

And I will need the help with the DD also. It sounds like a PITA.

At one point I did have access via a friend to a shop with everything but he has since left that job. I am not sure if I want to weld but I know I will have the right tools by then. I should be buying a cordless milwaukee tool set this fall/winter, also. The part that has me nervous is setting the control arms to the proper length so that all the angles are correct. But hopefully if one of us or both of us go this route we can have George at least join to give pointers and help. But it would be nice to have access to a lift or tall jack stands. Going at it without someone having prior knowledge of it will also be a tad daunting. I think we should all be good though in the end.

Yes please hit me up for consultation at the very least. As you may or may not know that kit does not come with instructions and there's a lot of little devils in the details that I had to work through. I'm not sure how much detail I went into them, but check out my build thread for a bit of it and maybe I can put together something more explicit for planning. I will tell you that you can do the front and rear in phases - but plan on having your rig out of commission sitting on a rack or stands for a minimum of 3 days per half.

First off I want to say a BIG thanks for letting me and my cousin, Clint (he has the white XJ) tag along this weekend even though we don't rock JKs:dont_tell:. We had the best time and felt right at home. I really enjoyed meeting/wheeling with everyone. We joined in on the night ride and it was awesome. After most everybody left on Saturday evening, 4 of us hit up Rocky again, this time in the daylight. Fun trail. I would also like to echo the earlier statements about George. I want to thank you sir for taking the time to teach/share with those who are new to the hobby and for being so patient. One of things I loved most about everyone I met this weekend was the fact that there were no egos on display; just a bunch of guys and gals having a good time doing what we all love. And I am definitely in for the next run.......

Just to summarize all of the expressed thanks from folks, you're all super welcome and this last bit summarizes my philosophy exactly - wheel whatcha got, no egos :). Folks mentioned my patience but really it's part of what I get out of it as well. I personally wheel to conquer all trails and obstacles laid before me, but when I'm spotting a group or working with new folks, what I get out of it is completely different - watching folks evolve from "there's no way..." to "I just did that!" is a huge rush for me.

And then watching folks take what they just learned and apply it later is even better... there was a point in time during the second afternoon run along the fence-line that we got to the optional left-side climb where Nick was spotting the lower half and I was at the top - there must have been 10+ folks that went past me where all I was doing was nodding my head because they had already picked up good instincts on picking good lines - to me that kicks more ass than being "the guy" that gets to point and holler driver/passenger.

Of course, having said all that, there's this.... :clap2:
Figured I'd share this "oh shit" moment pic that happened Sunday afternoon after everyone left. Enjoy View attachment 168309

When I saw this pic my first thought was "woah was I supposed to be spotting on that? where was I?" :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

This pic captures the other essence of wheeling that not everyone is super keen on, especially considering how much these things cost. Taking risks and trying new lines and testing out theories is another great aspect of this sport.

Sometimes your theories are just plain crazy and everyone tried to warn you:

And other times, they tell you it's crazy and you show them what's up:

(that second clip should look familiar; it's the same hill those Land Rovers were having to winch themselves up)

daverawr

What you saw this weekend was 12-13ish PSI, which I think felt a little too stiff still, I was just too lazy to sync my Stauns down lower at the last second. e.g. 12-13 is what I was running on my previous tires as well, 35" Kelly Safari TSRs. I will say this about the other factor that has remained the same between new and old: I'm still rocking the same Procomp 5182 series wheels- they do a damn good job of keeping their bead. I've had myself twisted up full weight and rubbed deep enough on rock juts where I was sure I was going to lose it, but the worst that's ever happened in 2 years of wheeling the piss out of the TSRs was a slashed sidewall up at Stillwater.

Having said all that, for Hidden Falls I've seen folks hang around in the 15-18 range without issue.

These are great! It still trips me out seeing my Jeep through other people's eyes, I'm used to having to take my own pics which is nearly impossible while wheeling/spotting, so pass along my thanks and if your wife has an Instagram, let me know so I can credit the source :D

This was my same thought process - e.g. even if later on I decide to go full tilt throwdown/evolever/coilovers I can at least rest knowing that I get to keep all my arms and could easily resell the Plush Rides.

Yes please hit me up for consultation at the very least. As you may or may not know that kit does not come with instructions and there's a lot of little devils in the details that I had to work through. I'm not sure how much detail I went into them, but check out my build thread for a bit of it and maybe I can put together something more explicit for planning. I will tell you that you can do the front and rear in phases - but plan on having your rig out of commission sitting on a rack or stands for a minimum of 3 days per half.

Just to summarize all of the expressed thanks from folks, you're all super welcome and this last bit summarizes my philosophy exactly - wheel whatcha got, no egos :). Folks mentioned my patience but really it's part of what I get out of it as well. I personally wheel to conquer all trails and obstacles laid before me, but when I'm spotting a group or working with new folks, what I get out of it is completely different - watching folks evolve from "there's no way..." to "I just did that!" is a huge rush for me.

And then watching folks take what they just learned and apply it later is even better... there was a point in time during the second afternoon run along the fence-line that we got to the optional left-side climb where Nick was spotting the lower half and I was at the top - there must have been 10+ folks that went past me where all I was doing was nodding my head because they had already picked up good instincts on picking good lines - to me that kicks more ass than being "the guy" that gets to point and holler driver/passenger.

Of course, having said all that, there's this.... :clap2:

When I saw this pic my first thought was "woah was I supposed to be spotting on that? where was I?" :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

This pic captures the other essence of wheeling that not everyone is super keen on, especially considering how much these things cost. Taking risks and trying new lines and testing out theories is another great aspect of this sport.

Sometimes your theories are just plain crazy and everyone tried to warn you:

And other times, they tell you it's crazy and you show them what's up:

(that second clip should look familiar; it's the same hill those Land Rovers were having to winch themselves up)

George I posted some pics of your car in the show & tell section under texas hidden falls newbie run

daverawr

DIDNT GET ALOT OF SHOTS :( but here you guys go uploaded what i thought were the best shots! thanks so much guys for making this so memorable, this being my girlfriends first time camping you guys made it so much better she enjoyed it very much and we both look forward to the next one!

Heres a link to the thread, i didnt get any shots of my self on the trails so if anyone has any could you please post them!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...Group-Newbie-Run&p=591228&posted=1#post591228

George look at this link

Top Bottom