Upgrade maps on nav

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Navteq updates their maps quarterly, however, those are usually minor updates. Majors happen every few years, and even then, some things are still missing. You can submit a road/area you'd like them to map, and they will add it to their list, and within a year or so, it will be updated.

I called Garmin on a change once, with mile marker details, on a highway that was moved. It was an area an hour or two south of Kansas City (Garmin is in Kansas City by the way). The guy I talked to knew exactly where I was talking about because he frequently drove thru there. He said he updated it to be looked at. They actually ask you to notify them of errors.

Well over a year later, it was still not updated. I haven't gone that way in a few years, so I don't know if it ever changed. I have a stand alone unit with lifetime updates.

Companies buy GIS data from other companies for their map data. It is a crap shoot on updates, like expecting the speed limit data to be right over 15 years after a change to a highway speed. FYI, Never rely on your GPS to tell you the correct speed limit if you don't like speeding tickets.

If you are paying for it, only update evey few years or less.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
And no I havent received a ticket because of a GPS error. I try to watch for the signs.

Top Bottom