Upper intake torque question

myrddin

Hello folks... I am at the end of putting my upper intake back on and I just have it hand tight at the moment and am ready to torque it up... I know it's torque pattern and torque value (105 inch pounds)... but when I attempted to torque the first bolt it seemed like it wasn't going to reach the 105 value... I wanted to stop and ask :) can one of you folks that has put one on and torqued it up tell me is 105 IP right (per book) what did you do? I'm holding off till I get feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

myrddin

I tried to torque them up just now and I had 3 torque up ok and one snapped. Now I'm off to find a replacement... should I really expect them all to take 105 inch pounds. What if I keep as is?

WJCO

Meme King
I tried to torque them up just now and I had 3 torque up ok and one snapped. Now I'm off to find a replacement... should I really expect them all to take 105 inch pounds. What if I keep as is?

Are these bolts holding plastic to aluminum? That torque setting seems low enough that they shouldn't be snapping. I would just say torque until you feel comfortable. After it's together, if you have a leak, you'll get a hissing sound or a code. You can spray the outside of the seam with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and see if the rpm changes indicating a leak. Personally as long as you follow the torque sequence (if there is one), I think you'll be ok.

myrddin

Yeah it's the plenum (plastic to alum) I did follow the sequence and a few tightened up fine but like 4 of them in not sure about I guess I still need to tighten them...

Check this out:

WJCO

Meme King
That broken one on the end is cross threaded, that's likely why it snapped during torquing. Look at the threads at the end of the broken piece. Use a pick and make sure those aren't pieces of aluminum stuck between the threads, but looks cross-threaded to me. You should match that up with a tap and retap that hole in the manifold to be safe.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I would try a different torque wrench! They can fall out of calibration especially if over torqued. Otherwise, WJCO gave you good advice!

myrddin

Good idea on the torque wrench, I will try 7 foot pounds (close) on my other one.... it's cross threaded because I turned it out with vice grips... luckily when it broke it was sticking out the bottom enough where I could turn it out... this is goofy, usually I go by the torque specs and just torque it up and be fine with it... these bolts are not playing nice. Now where to find a replacement? I'm off to the hardware store to at least get a temp bolt while I source a rest bolt... I may get a set... junk!

WJCO

Meme King
Good idea on the torque wrench, I will try 7 foot pounds (close) on my other one.... it's cross threaded because I turned it out with vice grips... luckily when it broke it was sticking out the bottom enough where I could turn it out... this is goofy, usually I go by the torque specs and just torque it up and be fine with it... these bolts are not playing nice. Now where to find a replacement? I'm off to the hardware store to at least get a temp bolt while I source a rest bolt... I may get a set... junk!

Oh ok, so you didn't back it out, you pulled the broken piece out through the other end of the hole? So hole is ok? Ace hardware has a great selection of metric bolts. Fastenal is okay too.

myrddin

Yeah buddy, I was able to screw the bolt out the bottom. You think a regular hardware store will be ok, or should I still order up some originals? I see 10 on eBay for 25 bucks... I hope I don't brake another but might be goo to have incase.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah buddy, I was able to screw the bolt out the bottom. You think a regular hardware store will be ok, or should I still order up some originals? I see 10 on eBay for 25 bucks... I hope I don't brake another but might be goo to have incase.

If you are willing to wait, order the originals. I figured you were right in the middle of the job and wanted to get it done today. I have not had good luck with Lowes nor Home Depot for fasteners. ACE has just about everything.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Haha same thing happened to me. With what looks like the same torque wrench. For small work like this on the engine I would get a small inch pound torque wrench. The bigger ones , where you're at the bottom end of the scale on the wrench, seem to always over torque. Amazon has a tekton that works good and is relatively inexpensive.

myrddin

Haha same thing happened to me. With what looks like the same torque wrench. For small work like this on the engine I would get a small inch pound torque wrench. The bigger ones , where you're at the bottom end of the scale on the wrench, seem to always over torque. Amazon has a tekton that works good and is relatively inexpensive.

Thanks buddy! I will look it up. Can't hurt to have more tools :)

PATRIOTKJM

There's a factor of tolerance so using a torque wrench that big is most likely what caused you to overtorque. Get a inch lb torque wrench that has a range much closer to what you're working in. Its also very possible that if you stored it with it set on a torque setting that its out of calibration. Its really important to take it back to zero when finished with it each time.

Last edited:

myrddin

I picked up two m6 x 1.00 x 30.00 and they torqued up just fine... these bolts aren't use once only are they? I have like 4 more that I'm afraid to torque... what do you guys think? Wonder if I can find an aftermarket set of intake bolts that may me better, or should I just try to tighten them anyway?

myrddin

There's a factor of tolerance so using a torque wrench that big is most likely what caused you to overtorque. Get a inch lb torque wrench that has a range much closer to what you're working in. Its also very possible that if you stored it with it set on a torque setting that its out of calibration. Its really important to take it back to zero when finished with it each time.

I use a inch pound 3/8 torque wrench... stays in the box set to zero when not used. I'm not sure this is a torque wrench issue... the bolts feel odd while torquing... two of them got tight and stopped dead on torque, the others started feeling tight then felt easier towards the bottom... but as with the one that broke they keep tightening up obviously till they snap, at least in the case of the one. I have 4 left right now that feel that way to me...

So one of two things will happen. They will tighten all the way up and stop at 100-105 inch pounds... or it will keep turning till the bolt snaps...

Paranoid:(

PATRIOTKJM

I use a inch pound 3/8 torque wrench... stays in the box set to zero when not used. I'm not sure this is a torque wrench issue... the bolts feel odd while torquing... two of them got tight and stopped dead on torque, the others started feeling tight then felt easier towards the bottom... but as with the one that broke they keep tightening up obviously till they snap, at least in the case of the one. I have 4 left right now that feel that way to me...

So one of two things will happen. They will tighten all the way up and stop at 100-105 inch pounds... or it will keep turning till the bolt snaps...

Paranoid:(

Really strange... I'm surprised the aluminum threads didn't fail first.

Top Bottom