Using Phosphate based HOAT Coolant VS Silicate based HOAT coolant in Jeep wrangler 2012 questions

bromshow

I replaced my coolant thermostat module in my 2012 jeep wrangler and topped it up with coolant. When I bought the coolant I went with an OEM 50/50 HOAT coolant, it was also the same color as my existing coolant which is also pink. I noticed that the bottle said it was for toyota lexus scion, but didnt think much of it since most bottles didnt specify any vehicles.

Now after looking into it and googling a bunch I have learned a lot but am still unsure about how to proceed. My questions are in no particular order:

1: I have seen several people online say your 2012 jeep wrangler coolant should be orange, but mine is pink which is why it led me to buy the phosphate based asian vehicle coolant. I purchased the jeep in 2015 it was 3 years old with 30,000km on it, is it possible they put the wrong coolant in it?

2: The silicate based HOAT which is recommended to use is typically orange now from what I read, but is using phosphate based HOAT going to adversely affect my jeep now that they are mixed?

3: The jeep users manual does not specify OAT vs HOAT or phosphate vs silicate, I have read that if you mix OAT with HOAT it will gel and brick your vehicle. Why is the specifics not included in the users manual?

desertrunner

This has a lot of good information in it. I have a 12 and a 15 and just went through trying to figure all the colors out. What I will say is the 5yr "orange" HOAT stuff that goes in my 12' the bottle when brand new is pink. The 10yr OAT stuff that goes in my 15' brand new is purple. But when they are both old and dirty they all look orange. So if you are seeing pink my first thought would be newer 5yr orange stuff

Bottom line. Run what you want, just drain it completely and flush it completely with water, use whatever you want and never mix, even when they say “safe for all vehicles.” Also a sharpie on the coolant tank labeling what you put in will save headaches in the future.

desertrunner

Bottom line. Run what you want, just drain it completely and flush it completely with water, use whatever you want and never mix, even when they say “safe for all vehicles.” Also a sharpie on the coolant tank labeling what you put in will save headaches in the future.
True but sounds like the OP topped it off and is now worried about what he topped it off with. Based on my recent fun with this I'm pretty sure he is in the clear with the pink HOAT

bromshow

True but sounds like the OP topped it off and is now worried about what he topped it off with. Based on my recent fun with this I'm pretty sure he is in the clear with the pink HOAT
this is what i want to be sure of primarily, i topped off my coolant with HOAT phosphate which is intended for "asian" vehicles and the HOAT recommended for jeeps is silicate based, i want to know if this is going to be a problem or not mixing phosphate hoat with silicate

EDIT: In reference to the article about jeep types titled "SAVE YOUR ENGINE" on this website that someone linked that is one of the results i found when looking into this which is what made me register on the forum to ask, because it does give very good information, but it tells you not to max HOAT and OAT, but doesnt specify mixing different HOATs

desertrunner

this is what i want to be sure of primarily, i topped off my coolant with HOAT phosphate which is intended for "asian" vehicles and the HOAT recommended for jeeps is silicate based, i want to know if this is going to be a problem or not mixing phosphate hoat with silicate

EDIT: In reference to the article about jeep types titled "SAVE YOUR ENGINE" on this website that someone linked that is one of the results i found when looking into this which is what made me register on the forum to ask, because it does give very good information, but it tells you not to max HOAT and OAT, but doesnt specify mixing different HOATs
Gotcha yeah not sure you are going to find that information on here. If it's of any concern just do what snboarder mentioned and you will be fine

bmkrinne

I’m in the same boat as you almost…
I’ve got a small leak at the thermostat housing on my ‘12 and have been topping off with water so far but needing to repair as you did. I am planning to use Snboader’s method - It’s solid advice. To me the risk is too high with jellying of the coolant to not flush once or twice with demin water.

Top Bottom