Venting my frustrations!

H20JNKY

Have you ever gotten so frustrated over something not working on your jeep that you wanted to take an axe to that item? I felt that way about my F'n cobra 29 lx CB on my JK unlimited rubi! Has worked flawlessly since I installed it. Saw that the antenna was a little loose, so I tightened! Now that damn Swr won't go below 2.1 and I get an antenna warning! I have dismantled, reinstalled at least 5 times. Re ran the coax, etc! Checked ground, grinded the metal, etc. Tomorrow I'm buying a new 5' firestik antenna that is not tunable (unless you trim it), with out the ground wire on the mast, like I have on my YJ and call it a day and hope that solves the problem ...oh and run a solid ground from the battery to the back bumper. I feel like I wasted a day of my life on this stupid CB! Sorry, had to vent to someone! LMAO!! Feel free to tell your story!

asullivan920

I have never worked with CB's but work on electronics with all sorts of cables and connectors. Did you check the cable to see if it is the problem verse your antenna? If you have a multi-meter you can perform a continuity check on the cable. If the cable is bad a new antenna will not solve your problems.

First visually inspect each end of the cable: make sure the center pins are not bent and are not loose inside. Next check the exterior of the connector make sure it is not loose and that none of the wire shielding is sticking out.

If the visual inspection is all good hook your multi-meter from the center pin (be sure not to touch the outside of the connector) on one side to the center pin on the other side. You should have a short (some type of ohm reading on your meter). Then test the from outside to outside of the connector which should give you another short. Finally I like to test the center pin on one side to the exterior on the other side. You should have an open (no reading). That should tell you if your cable is bad.

If you an open during the first two tests that means there is a break in the center conductor or out side shielding some where. If you have a short in the 3rd test that mean the shielding and the center pin are touching some where. If everything was fine and it started after you tightened up the connector to your antenna then that is most likely your problem.

Have you ever gotten so frustrated over something not working on your jeep that you wanted to take an axe to that item? I felt that way about my F'n cobra 29 lx CB on my JK unlimited rubi! Has worked flawlessly since I installed it. Saw that the antenna was a little loose, so I tightened! Now that damn Swr won't go below 2.1 and I get an antenna warning! I have dismantled, reinstalled at least 5 times. Re ran the coax, etc! Checked ground, grinded the metal, etc. Tomorrow I'm buying a new 5' firestik antenna that is not tunable (unless you trim it), with out the ground wire on the mast, like I have on my YJ and call it a day and hope that solves the problem ...oh and run a solid ground from the battery to the back bumper. I feel like I wasted a day of my life on this stupid CB! Sorry, had to vent to someone! LMAO!! Feel free to tell your story!

Yep my motor :banghead:

H20JNKY

Update: I used a brand new coax, no change. In fact I'm getting 50ohms on both cables which is perfect. So I stuck with the original. I went and bought a cheapo steel antenna from Radio Shack. I then found a cb antenna cutting guide online. For CB band of 27 MHz the length needs to be 49". Cut the antenna down and BAM!!! I hit pay dirt and it works like a champ. Couldn't get the firstick or Wilson to work at all.

Top Bottom