Watcha cookin'?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Sounds like that's what we'll be having for dinner tonight!

Oh it's grub, you'll like it. And here's the rub I use for pork butt for next time around. I think it's pretty good.

3-Tbsp Tony's or comparable cajun seasoning
4-Tbsp Turbinado brown sugar (this type of sugar will burn at a higher temperature than regular brown sugar)
1/2-Tsp Paprika
1/4-Tsp Cumin
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt

Brute

Hooked
This is how pulled pork is done in Hawaii, "imu" style...

imu 1.jpg

build a serious hot fire with kiawe (mesquite) wood and imu rocks, which are porous lava rocks

imu 2.jpg

when the rocks begin to glow red, put on a layer of smashed banana stumps (provide moisture) and banana leaves

imu 3.jpg

put pork butts, turkeys, sweet potatoes, hams or whatever on top...cover with banana leaves, then wet burlap sacks, followed by a couple large tarps...then seal the edges of the tarp with the dirt that came out of the pit. Close the pit about 6:00 pm, open it about 6:00 am the next morning...this takes a village to pull off...

boostdtalon

This is how pulled pork is done in Hawaii, "imu" style...

View attachment 202615

build a serious hot fire with kiawe (mesquite) wood and imu rocks, which are porous lava rocks

View attachment 202616

when the rocks begin to glow red, put on a layer of smashed banana stumps (provide moisture) and banana leaves

View attachment 202617

put pork butts, turkeys, sweet potatoes, hams or whatever on top...cover with banana leaves, then wet burlap sacks, followed by a couple large tarps...then seal the edges of the tarp with the dirt that came out of the pit. Close the pit about 6:00 pm, open it about 6:00 am the next morning...this takes a village to pull off...

That makes for some of the best tasting pulled pork I've ever had!

Brute

Hooked
steamed fish.jpg

Steamed opakapaka (snapper) with slivered ginger, garlic, cilantro & green onions...finished off with smoking hot peanut oil & soy sauce...where's the rice?

Brute

Hooked
mahi.jpg

Seared Mahi with lilikoi burre blanc, green beans & applewood smoked bacon, roasted baby roma tomatoes, and cannellini beans with garlic & anchovy...

MTG

Caught the Bug
On a really flat day, I could make Lahaina from Kaneohe Bay in about 4 hours on my boat...

That's pretty fast! For some reason I thought you were on the big island. Now, I will be on Oahu for a few days. :cheesy:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So in a few weeks, we will be moving into the new house and im goig to start fresh on the grill-ware. Im gonna take a stab at getting into the smoking game....any recommendations on a newb-proof smoker?

I love my weber genesis grill. But I find myself using my traeger more and more for both smoking and grilling. If I had to choose one, it would be the traeger.

Top Bottom