WAYALIFE.com - Rock Hard 4x4 Open Tech / Install / Support Line

AU Bronc N JK

Luke,
I apologize for the shipping headache - we are normally spot on with our QA but mistakes can and do happen. We always work as quickly as we can to rectify our mistakes to get you wheeling sooner. The rear overhead section (RH-1030-A) won't have collars on it, should be two flat plates. That's how you identify it.

I'll have shipping box one up so it's ready to go once NR4x4 (great dealer of ours) gets us over the info we can get it out the door and on it's way to you. A return label will be inside the box for the wrong part you were sent.

Thank you for choosing Rock Hard 4x4! :beer::beer:

No worries, as I said before, you guys were spot on getting me the hardware and collars promptly. I understand mistakes happen. Overall, the product was great, and install (although lengthy) was a success on Saturday! Thanks for the great product, and customer service! Both you guys and NR4x4 have excellent customer service, which is a HUGE selling point for me!

Thanks again, look forward to getting the correct part!

Luke

AU Bronc N JK

while I'm on this tech support forum.. Do you guys have any pictures or guidance for trimming the upper window trim pieces to make them work with the sport cage? I can probably do this myself, but would rather see some photos of trimmed pieces or else some instruction as to where to cut/trim. Thanks again!

Luke

while I'm on this tech support forum.. Do you guys have any pictures or guidance for trimming the upper window trim pieces to make them work with the sport cage? I can probably do this myself, but would rather see some photos of trimmed pieces or else some instruction as to where to cut/trim. Thanks again!
Luke

Check our install video at 11:02.
https://youtu.be/Y4TGSc4App4?t=11m2s

It's a subjective cut - some people want more trimmed, some people want less.

RedRum

Just installed the transmission and transfer case skid ... Great setup and very easy to install ! Thanks again for sending me out the new skid !!

bkac

Caught the Bug
Hey Rock hard! Question for you? I installed my new t-case skid tonight, it looks amazing! now to see how it will hold up. So my question is, does the skid plate come with the rock washers? (The black coned shape washers that protect the bolts you guys are famous for )! If it does I didn't get them (the instructions show them in the pictures) and if it doesn't then the washers supplied are a bit too small and start to crush when tightening the bolts. Thanks again and love your products!
Bobby

Attachments

• 1443063877904.jpg
    1443063877904.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 167
Hey Rock hard! Question for you? I installed my new t-case skid tonight, it looks amazing! now to see how it will hold up. So my question is, does the skid plate come with the rock washers? (The black coned shape washers that protect the bolts you guys are famous for )! If it does I didn't get them (the instructions show them in the pictures) and if it doesn't then the washers supplied are a bit too small and start to crush when tightening the bolts. Thanks again and love your products!
Bobby

The t-case skid does not - I apologize if that's confusing. Reason is when you install the t-case skid without a Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan skid the design of the OEM t-case skid requires it to go OVER our oil pan skid, so sending our rock domes would not work. The OEM t-case has deep grooves (beveled) in it which prevent the tapered washers from sitting flush. If you have our Oil Pan/Transmission Skid Plate then you will have received the rock domes.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The t-case skid does not - I apologize if that's confusing. Reason is when you install the t-case skid without a Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan skid the design of the OEM t-case skid requires it to go OVER our oil pan skid, so sending our rock domes would not work. The OEM t-case has deep grooves (beveled) in it which prevent the tapered washers from sitting flush. If you have our Oil Pan/Transmission Skid Plate then you will have received the rock domes.

Ok, cool. Good to know. I just install it with the factory bolts since the washers were larger. I'm still a bit confused on why they wouldn't work. It's flush under there. I installed your skid over the evo protek crossmember skid already in place. Basically just like the factory plate was. Are the rock domes something I could buy? Either way it should work just fine. Thanks for the quick response! You guys rock!

Ok, cool. Good to know. I just install it with the factory bolts since the washers were larger. I'm still a bit confused on why they wouldn't work. It's flush under there. I installed your skid over the evo protek crossmember skid already in place. Basically just like the factory plate was. Are the rock domes something I could buy? Either way it should work just fine. Thanks for the quick response! You guys rock!
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-6000-sw-496.htm :beer:

benatc1

Hooked
Rear Bumper/tire carrier trailer plug plates

Hi, Just finished installing my new rear bumper and tire carrier, I have the 3 prong trailer plug and no adapter plate was included in my shipment (unsure if it was supposed to be). Do you have these for sale or a vendor I can get them from? Thank You in advance- Absolutely love my new bumper/carrier set up!!

Hi, Just finished installing my new rear bumper and tire carrier, I have the 3 prong trailer plug and no adapter plate was included in my shipment (unsure if it was supposed to be). Do you have these for sale or a vendor I can get them from? Thank You in advance- Absolutely love my new bumper/carrier set up!!
Should have been included! Sorry about that - with the holidays our shipping team is swamped so it must have been missed in hardware assembly. PM me your address and I'll have it sent right out.Jason

benatc1

Hooked
Should have been included! Sorry about that - with the holidays our shipping team is swamped so it must have been missed in hardware assembly. PM me your address and I'll have it sent right out.Jason

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much! Great customer service!

Kalums

OK so, another question, looking to get the RH-1032 third row roll cage, I see your Web site says it's non compatible with the "spring assist" soft tops, please explain more in detail how it is incompatible. Is it the mechanism? The wire from the mechanism? Or? I have a 2013 unlimited with the spring assist so.... Thanks ahead of time

OK so, another question, looking to get the RH-1032 third row roll cage, I see your Web site says it's non compatible with the "spring assist" soft tops, please explain more in detail how it is incompatible. Is it the mechanism? The wire from the mechanism? Or? I have a 2013 unlimited with the spring assist so.... Thanks ahead of time
The spring assist soft top has a secondary assisting bar that sits inside our RH-1032. Because of that bar it cannot allow the top to fold all the way down. From what local dealerships have reported back to us, with as many warranty issues as the spring assist top has had, you are better off trading someone for their standard soft top or removing the spring assist mechanisms all together.

Kalums

Awesome, I barely ever drop the top anyway (sad but true) but when I do I just lift it off (have a retro fitted old hard top lift in my garage) . So that shouldn't be a problem for me, thank you for the info.

My Rock cage hits the doors

Dear Rock Hard Customer Services,

I bought and fitted my Rock Hard cage RH1030 last year to my 2 Dr JK Rubicon year 2008. After a while I realised that there is a couple of things that I would appreciate your help with:

- The paint on the inside of my doors and on the Roll Cage side panels is gone in places because the dash panels should go inwards a bit more so the doors touch the side panels when they are closed.
I read in one of your posts there was supposed to be some shims included with the hardware but I didn't find any shims when I opened the hardware packets. In fact I haven't read in any installation write ups or any posts that people had to put shims or washers between the edge of the door frame and the Roll Cage side panels.
Am I supposed to take everything off and try to put some washers there? If that's the case I don't know how I am going to manage to keep the washers in place when re-fitting the side panels.

- At slow speed there is no wind coming in but from 60 mph and above there is a lot of noise coming from the Top where the roof meets the windscreen. I have a TrekTop Soft Top and I never used to have that kind of noise before.

Could you help me please?

Chris

Last edited:
Dear Rock Hard Customer Services,

I bought and fitted my Rock Hard cage RH1030 last year to my 2 Dr JK Rubicon year 2008. After a while I realised that there is a couple of things that I would appreciate your help with:

- The paint on the inside of my doors and on the Roll Cage side panels is gone in places because the dash panels should go inwards a bit more so the doors touch the side panels when they are closed.
I read in one of your posts there was supposed to be some shims included with the hardware but I didn't find any shims when I opened the hardware packets. In fact I haven't read in any installation write ups or any posts that people had to put shims or washers between the edge of the door frame and the Roll Cage side panels.
Am I supposed to take everything off and try to put some washers there? If that's the case I don't know how I am going to manage to keep the washers in place when re-fitting the side panels.

- At slow speed there is no wind coming in but from 60 mph and above there is a lot of noise coming from the Top where the roof meets the windscreen. I have a TrekTop Soft Top and I never used to have that kind of noise before.

Could you help me please?

Chris
Chris,
We'll tackle your questions one at a time, but I also HIGHLY encourage you to send me a message with your phone number so we can talk over the phone tomorrow. Some things are easier understood over a phone chat than message.

First - thank you for selecting our cage. We are a family business and your enjoyment of our parts is our mission.

Adjusting your door posts is a simple wrench turning process:
First - loosen the 2 bolts at the top of the door upright at your visor. Don't remove, just loosen.
Then loosen the 6 collar bolts on the dash bar.
Loosen the 3 dash plate bolts.
Put a 2x4 or some other lever through your welded cage grab handle and twist the dash plate INWARDS so it rests more inside your dash. While you are holding it with pressure, have a helper retighten your hardware.
If that does not do the trick, repeat all the steps above, but add shims to the 2 bottom dash plate bolts on the inside. I read above you said you didn't receive the shims - I'm happy to send you some. Message me your address. They are not washers, they are special cut rectangular plates. They'll fit snugly so don't worry about a clumsy moment of trying to do 3 things at once.

We do mention the shims in our install video: https://youtu.be/Y4TGSc4App4?t=5m

For wind noise on a TrekTop, check a couple things for me:
When did the wind noise start occuring? Did you have the cage then add the top? Or did you have the top and only noticed the noise when you added our cage?
Make sure your cage collars at the top are oriented properly. Open your door and take a look at the upper collar on the driver to passenger side t-section bar. Make sure the flat face of the collar is pointed upwards. If not, uninstall the bar and flip it over.
If your padding cover covers the collar on the overhead t-section bar that's fine, make sure it isn't bunched up.
Make sure the flaps on your hardtop panels are oriented flat, not angled down, if your rear hardtop section is installed. This is OFTEN overlooked as many people don't even know the panels have this feature.
If you still have wind noise at highway speed, take a felt marker or sharpie and mark the top row of 3 bolts on the collar with the flat section. Reinstall the hardtop panel and see if the ink transfers over to your hardtop panel. Or, see if the hardtop panel removes any of the ink for the allen screws in the collar. If so, take a file and remove some of the allen screw material. You aren't compromising the strength of the collar at all, don't worry.
Last resort but hey - it works - is to remove some of the material from your hardtop panel. You don't need to make holes, just shave it down some.

We discuss that in our install video here: https://youtu.be/Y4TGSc4App4?t=14m33s

Again, please call us if you still have questions after this lengthy message. My cell phone number is 308-750-5541.

- Jason

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I also did not know that a thread like this existed, but I'm not surprised. I just ordered more stuff from Rock Hard 4x4 a few days ago and the main deciding factor to go with you guys over any others is your constant striving to assist customers and answer questions. Your company is very active on the forum and always willing to assist and help customers and it is much appreciated. :beer:

I also did not know that a thread like this existed, but I'm not surprised. I just ordered more stuff from Rock Hard 4x4 a few days ago and the main deciding factor to go with you guys over any others is your constant striving to assist customers and answer questions. Your company is very active on the forum and always willing to assist and help customers and it is much appreciated. :beer:

Thank you!

Chris,
We'll tackle your questions one at a time, but I also HIGHLY encourage you to send me a message with your phone number so we can talk over the phone tomorrow. Some things are easier understood over a phone chat than message.

First - thank you for selecting our cage. We are a family business and your enjoyment of our parts is our mission.

Adjusting your door posts is a simple wrench turning process:
First - loosen the 2 bolts at the top of the door upright at your visor. Don't remove, just loosen.
Then loosen the 6 collar bolts on the dash bar.
Loosen the 3 dash plate bolts.
Put a 2x4 or some other lever through your welded cage grab handle and twist the dash plate INWARDS so it rests more inside your dash. While you are holding it with pressure, have a helper retighten your hardware.
If that does not do the trick, repeat all the steps above, but add shims to the 2 bottom dash plate bolts on the inside. I read above you said you didn't receive the shims - I'm happy to send you some. Message me your address. They are not washers, they are special cut rectangular plates. They'll fit snugly so don't worry about a clumsy moment of trying to do 3 things at once.

We do mention the shims in our install video: https://youtu.be/Y4TGSc4App4?t=5m

For wind noise on a TrekTop, check a couple things for me:
When did the wind noise start occuring? Did you have the cage then add the top? Or did you have the top and only noticed the noise when you added our cage?
Make sure your cage collars at the top are oriented properly. Open your door and take a look at the upper collar on the driver to passenger side t-section bar. Make sure the flat face of the collar is pointed upwards. If not, uninstall the bar and flip it over.
If your padding cover covers the collar on the overhead t-section bar that's fine, make sure it isn't bunched up.
Make sure the flaps on your hardtop panels are oriented flat, not angled down, if your rear hardtop section is installed. This is OFTEN overlooked as many people don't even know the panels have this feature.
If you still have wind noise at highway speed, take a felt marker or sharpie and mark the top row of 3 bolts on the collar with the flat section. Reinstall the hardtop panel and see if the ink transfers over to your hardtop panel. Or, see if the hardtop panel removes any of the ink for the allen screws in the collar. If so, take a file and remove some of the allen screw material. You aren't compromising the strength of the collar at all, don't worry.
Last resort but hey - it works - is to remove some of the material from your hardtop panel. You don't need to make holes, just shave it down some.

We discuss that in our install video here: https://youtu.be/Y4TGSc4App4?t=14m33s

Again, please call us if you still have questions after this lengthy message. My cell phone number is 308-750-5541.

- Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your very prompt reply. I live in England in the UK so here it's 05:15am so it must be middle of the night for you ! I am not messaging you to give you bad publicity or anything like that. I am only trying to get some help.

I enclose some old pictures that I took not long after fitting the Roll Cage so you won't see the paint issue but you might see that my collars are pointing in the right direction. I followed the write up from Eddie on this site so I am sure my the Flat of my collars are towards the Top. I will take new pics to show you more clearly what I am talking about. I will try to do the Trick with a piece of 2x4 Timber and I will let you know if I need some shims or not.

To answer your question Yes I had the Trektop fitted about 18 months before buying the Roll Cage and I didn't have the wind issue with it. I sold my Hard Top so no worries about the Freedom panels for me.

I will check your YouTube video later once at home as I am still at work until 7am.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1351.JPG
    IMG_1351.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Pic 103.png
    Pic 103.png
    457 KB · Views: 54
  • Pic 104.png
    Pic 104.png
    446.3 KB · Views: 54