WAYALIFE on the GO : Miscellaneous Photos from Cindy & Eddie!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics.

Are some changes being made on the gladiator? I notice the inner fenders and turn signals are missing?
Good eye! We got rid of the fender liners to help clear the 42's. The DRLs are missing because they got ripped out the last time we were on the trail. Apparently, the 42's didn't like them. Looking for other options now.

Good eye! We got rid of the fender liners to help clear the 42's. The DRLs are missing because they got ripped out the last time we were on the trail. Apparently, the 42's didn't like them. Looking for other options now.
I just installed those Quake LEDs on mine after removing the inner liners. We like them so far.

1644466894218.png

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
Unfortunately, the rack tore off the bed on the driver side. Literally ripped the nutsert fasteners right out of the paper thin sheet metal. Before it could do more damage on the passenger side, we decided to just pull it for now. Sucks because we really liked it.
I was wondering what you guys ended up doing there, looks good like that for sure though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering what you guys ended up doing there, looks good like that for sure though.
The design of the rack is such that it would stay in place without being bolted to the body but it would bounce around. I had taken the spare off and put it on top of the Decked but then, I thought maybe it'd be better to just remove it completely to prevent any more potential damage. Aside from losing all my cargo space on top of the Decked and the ability to carry cake decorations, I kinda like the look better.

RCC

The design of the rack is such that it would stay in place without being bolted to the body but it would bounce around. I had taken the spare off and put it on top of the Decked but then, I thought maybe it'd be better to just remove it completely to prevent any more potential damage. Aside from losing all my cargo space on top of the Decked and the ability to carry cake decorations, I kinda like the look better.

Did the rack hit something causing the bed damage or was it the weight of the spare and the rack mounts to the body?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did the rack hit something causing the bed damage or was it the weight of the spare and the rack mounts to the body?
So, I'm gonna bet that for most people, this is not going to be a problem. I think for us, there was 2 things going on. First, there was the weight of the spare strapped on top of the rack. Second and maybe more the problem than anything, was all the hard and fast driving we do in the desert and on a very regular basis. If you've ever seen are rear bump stops and what they look like, that should speak volumes about what I'm talking about. These two things together seemed to be just too much stress for the paper thin sheet metal to handle.

WJCO

Meme King
Here's a shot of what the sheet metal looks like after the rack pulled the bolts right out of it. And I should note, the bolts were still tight and fully secured to the rack. LOL

View attachment 372111
Thanks for posting that. I've been debating building a custom rack for the spare since before I had the truck that works with a tonneau cover. I would have to tie it in to this exact structure and have wondered if it would hold up. With that being said, my truck would likely see less stress than yours during my normal soccer and grocery duties.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting that. I've been debating building a custom rack for the spare since before I had the truck that works with a tonneau cover. I would have to tie it in to this exact structure and have wondered if it would hold up. With that being said, my truck would likely see less stress than yours during my normal soccer and grocery duties.
Yeah, like I said, I really don't think this would be a problem for MOST people. Even things like rock crawling or overlanding shouldn't be an issue. Cindy and I just tend to drive on the stupid side when we're out in the desert and that spare is a LOT of weight to have strapped high up on a rack. 🤪

Top Bottom