What was done to your rig this week?

I’m at 65,000 miles and planning at trip west in late June, so I changed out the stock oil filter housing and installed the Dorman aluminum along with new plugs.
We had a lot of trouble pulling the old one out. They must use evil red loctite on that front o-ring 🤣
Cinched some cord around the front housing and pulled up standing above the motor while Jarrod moved it side to side with a pry bar. Went ok once we finally got the old housing off. I should’ve taken a bunch of install pics but got lazy and tired. Only forgot to reconnect one vacuum hose. 🙄

Also had a small crack in the thermostat so that got replaced too.

IMG_1726.jpeg

Replaced all the injectors on the daughter's 2015 JKU, injector codes for #3 & #5

Luckily, she was visiting me for Mother's Day, and it happened while I was driving it.

Ran some ethanol free gas and a bottle of injector cleaner thru it, which smoothed it out and the codes cleared but given the codes it gave, and it's got 110000 miles decided to swap them all out.

2nd time taking the manifolds off and it was a lot easier this time.

Will replace one the driver crankshaft sensor tomorrow, it's leaking around the o-ring.

injectors.jpg

If it's anything like my wife's 21' you'll love it. I wish we could have gotten 4:88's but they were only available with the manual so 4:56's so was.
I'm really liking it so far. The XR I was originally about to buy had 4:56 gears, but it got sold out from under me before I could commit (busy Saturday at the dealer). But the salesperson and I accidentally found its twin at the back of their lot – just a few VIN numbers apart but with the 4:88s. It's pretty darn torque-y with the 35s!

I'm really liking it so far. The XR I was originally about to buy had 4:56 gears, but it got sold out from under me before I could commit (busy Saturday at the dealer). But the salesperson and I accidentally found its twin at the back of their lot – just a few VIN numbers apart but with the 4:88s. It's pretty darn torque-y with the 35s!
What is the engine RPM when driving 75 mph on the highway?

Torque sounds really good to me, but not so nice if the engine is noisy on the highway.

What is the engine RPM when driving 75 mph on the highway?

Torque sounds really good to me, but not so nice if the engine is noisy on the highway.
I'll have to check and report back. The JL gearing chart I've seen shows 2,723 rpm at 70 mph for 35" tires, but the BFGs are small for 35s. I had a 45 minute drive home at 75 mph on the way home from the dealer, and I didn't notice any objectionable engine noise. Downshifting on steep grades didn't seem as aggressive as with the 4:10s.

The best setup for the altitude where I live is the 2.0L turbo and 4:56, but the dealers here think the 2.0L is a base engine and always order the 3.6L. For a time, I had a Willys XR with the 2.0L, and that felt like a rocket compared to the 3.6 – never even downshifted on steep grades at high altitude. Still, I'm happy enough with the 3.6L now that I have these gears under it.

I'll have to check and report back. The JL gearing chart I've seen shows 2,723 rpm at 70 mph for 35" tires, but the BFGs are small for 35s. I had a 45 minute drive home at 75 mph on the way home from the dealer, and I didn't notice any objectionable engine noise. Downshifting on steep grades didn't seem as aggressive as with the 4:10s.

The best setup for the altitude where I live is the 2.0L turbo and 4:56, but the dealers here think the 2.0L is a base engine and always order the 3.6L. For a time, I had a Willys XR with the 2.0L, and that felt like a rocket compared to the 3.6 – never even downshifted on steep grades at high altitude. Still, I'm happy enough with the 3.6L now that I have these gears under it.
I have a 2-door with the 2.0T and 4:10 gears and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have thought about the 4:56 since it should be ideal. But I also think about 4:88 since someday I might install 37" tires, and that I am not a very aggressive driver on the highway, so maybe the RPMs won't be bad for a few years in the mean time.

The 2.0T has a lot of torque, and I did not notice a big change in highway driving due to updating to 35s. I notice a change when driving more slowly, such as 20mph up a 7% grade, which can cause the engine to race unpleasantly if I am not smooth on the pedal so the transmission decides to down-shift. On the highway, the engine turns really slowly (1700-2200 RPM) but makes up for it with the torque. The highway RPMs did not change much due to the larger tires.

I would likely change the gearing soon except for wondering how I might accomplish the 500 mile break-in ritual given that I work from home in a huge city.

I have a 2-door with the 2.0T and 4:10 gears and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have thought about the 4:56 since it should be ideal. But I also think about 4:88 since someday I might install 37" tires, and that I am not a very aggressive driver on the highway, so maybe the RPMs won't be bad for a few years in the mean time.

The 2.0T has a lot of torque, and I did not notice a big change in highway driving due to updating to 35s. I notice a change when driving more slowly, such as 20mph up a 7% grade, which can cause the engine to race unpleasantly if I am not smooth on the pedal so the transmission decides to down-shift. On the highway, the engine turns really slowly (1700-2200 RPM) but makes up for it with the torque. The highway RPMs did not change much due to the larger tires.

I would likely change the gearing soon except for wondering how I might accomplish the 500 mile break-in ritual given that I work from home in a huge city.

I felt the 4:56 was perfect with the 2.0T, but my Willys XR was light – base soft top, plastic bumpers, manual windows, etc. And of course the stock 35 KO2s are also light and a bit undersized.

Looks like with the 3.6L auto, the RPM with 4:88s on factory wheels/tires at 75 is around 2,350-2,400. A mild downshift due to slight incline and headwind puts the RPMs around 2,700.

IMG_1504.jpg

I felt the 4:56 was perfect with the 2.0T, but my Willys XR was light – base soft top, plastic bumpers, manual windows, etc. And of course the stock 35 KO2s are also light and a bit undersized.

Looks like with the 3.6L auto, the RPM with 4:88s on factory wheels/tires at 75 is around 2,350-2,400. A mild downshift due to slight incline and headwind puts the RPMs around 2,700.

View attachment 407439
It would be good to go into settings and set it to show the drive gear (e.g. D6, D8) being used. I find this to be helpful to understand what is going on. The RPMs are a function of speed and current gearing.

pack drinks and a snack and do it after hours, I went 1 hour in one direction then turned around and back home, did this every night until the break in was done. Took about 3 hours/night with gear cooling stops

pack drinks and a snack and do it after hours, I went 1 hour in one direction then turned around and back home, did this every night until the break in was done. Took about 3 hours/night with gear cooling stops
Maybe I can drive to Arlington (where the Jeeep Master lives) and then drive back. 😂

After I installed the tires, we did a test drive to Oklahoma

Top Bottom