White Rim Trail, MOAB

theilkjam

I am looking into taking a trip out to Moab and running the White Rim Trail. I am not the most experiences off road driver yet but this is my second Jeep and Ive been wanting to take it on a real trip for quite some time now. I currently have a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Hopefully by the time I take the trip I will have a set of 35s and it will be lifted. As for now its mostly stock aside from a few interior and lighting upgrades.

I am really just looking for any insight for someone who has taken the trail. Any camping tips, gear to bring so on and so forth. Also a friend of mine has a stock JKU? Can they make it through the trail okay?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Be sure to stop and walk across Musselman Arch!
Can't give ya much insight to the whole trail, since we only drove to Musselman and back

My wife and I did the whole trail in 2012. My jeep isn't stock but I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a stock jeep. We run the whole trail in one long day. I'd suggest breaking it into a two day trip. Camp somewhere along the way.

When are you planning on this trip

I'm planning for late summer. Possibly into fall. I am not very familiar with the seasonal weather conditions of the area yet. Still doing some preliminary research. I would like to make the trip in 2014 for sure though.

I'm planning for late summer. Possibly into fall. I am not very familiar with the seasonal weather conditions of the area yet. Still doing some preliminary research. I would like to make the trip in 2014 for sure though.

Labor Day weekend

I havent done the trip myself yet. Its on the list. From people i know that have tried or done it it may help to chat with some local that know the area. A friend of mine tried to do it only to find that there was a section that was impassable from being washed out. Now he was also alone which i dont recommend so taking on a major obstacle was not an option. Something to consider. But im jealous, been wanting to run that trail for a long time now.

MOFO - Original 9
Www.facebook.com/nomadoffroad

I haven't been on a camping trip this intense in a long time. I need to start compiling a list of gear that I'm going to need. I'm also looking into getting a roof rack for my Jeep. They are pricy but would really help for a trip like this. Maybe I'll settle for something that will allow me to mount things to my spare tire. So much to think about...

Late summer is monsoon season in Utah so while the trail will probably be passable but you have to be very wary of flash floods. When you decide on a date make your reservation for a camping spot as soon as possible as the spots around the middle of the trail get booked first. oh and get your brakes checked lot of switchbacks on the way downsmallhighres_93229832.jpg

^ great pic of the Shafer Switchbacks, at the end of Potash Road, near the start of White Rim Trail.
Definately a great view from the top of Shafer.

Have you guys decided when you guys going I'm thinking about joining I'm going to see if wife wants to go

here's a pic of my wife and I walking across Musselman Arch last year
DSCF0485.jpg
And the view from the top of Shafer Switchbacks
DSCF0528.jpg

I love it out there I went down those switchbacks twice and I was going to do that rim trail 2 years ago but didn't know I had to reserve a camp spot it was packed

I love it out there I went down those switchbacks twice and I was going to do that rim trail 2 years ago but didn't know I had to reserve a camp spot it was packed

I did the same thing, my wife and I headed out to Moab on a whim, little did I know it was National Public Lands Day....needless to say I needed to plan ahead.

I haven't been on a camping trip this intense in a long time. I need to start compiling a list of gear that I'm going to need. I'm also looking into getting a roof rack for my Jeep. They are pricy but would really help for a trip like this. Maybe I'll settle for something that will allow me to mount things to my spare tire. So much to think about...

Roof Rack is great but if you have a lift and 35's your jeep may not fit in the garage.

True I've been looking into the defender roof rack I don't plan on parking in garage my bikes are in there but we will see maybe I can take off rack before I pull in if I'm going to park it for a while

I did the same thing, my wife and I headed out to Moab on a whim, little did I know it was National Public Lands Day....needless to say I needed to plan ahead.

Utah is good times. Didn't make it all the way to Moab, but did venture out as far as Zion and Bryce. Did that trip last summer with the Family and was awesome. Hopefully can make it out to Moab in the next year or two. Want to build up my rig first.

Utah is good times. Didn't make it all the way to Moab, but did venture out as far as Zion and Bryce. Did that trip last summer with the Family and was awesome. Hopefully can make it out to Moab in the next year or two. Want to build up my rig first.

Don't know what your waiting for get that thing lifted already lol

Top Bottom