Will 315/70/17's work with 2" Teraflex budget boost?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My 285/70/17 on my Tundra measured closer to 32" :idontknow:

Different makes have different measurements. The Nitto Trail Grappler MT 285/70R17's that I have on my XJ measured about 33" (32.75" to be exact) when they were new. Of course, a 33x12.50 will still only have a true measurement of about 31".

you guys are confusing the s**t out of me, is it the same or no?:crazyeyes:

To add to what Eddie just said....In reference to the comment about setting the programmer, ill elaborate. As Eddie said, the only TRUE measurement that matters is what your vehicles computer thinks your tire size is. This can be confusing also. If you put a larger than stock tire on, your computer needs recalibrated to adjust your speedo, shift points, mpg calculations, ect. When doing so, the computer is interested only in the distance from the center of your wheel/axle, to the ground. Thats due to the weight of the vehicle "squishi g" the bottom of the tire against the road. So when making that "tire diameter" measurement, it is most accurately done by measuring from center of wheel to the ground, (which gives you a radius). Then multiply that distance by 2 (giving you a diameter)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To add to what Eddie just said....In reference to the comment about setting the programmer, ill elaborate. As Eddie said, the only TRUE measurement that matters is what your vehicles computer thinks your tire size is. This can be confusing also. If you put a larger than stock tire on, your computer needs recalibrated to adjust your speedo, shift points, mpg calculations, ect. When doing so, the computer is interested only in the distance from the center of your wheel/axle, to the ground. Thats due to the weight of the vehicle "squishi g" the bottom of the tire against the road. So when making that "tire diameter" measurement, it is most accurately done by measuring from center of wheel to the ground, (which gives you a radius). Then multiply that distance by 2 (giving you a diameter)

Yup, what he said ^^^ :yup:

el_chupo_

I am dragging this one back up for fun!

But really, I was able to grab some 315/70/17 GY Duratracs locally so I am going to run those for a while. I have 4 mounted on wheels, one waiting on me to get it to Discount to get it mounted on the 5th wheel. The unmounted tire measures a hair over 34", and mounted on the rim they are about 33.7" I have long understood the issues with tire sizes and actual sizes that was going on above (I even worked at a tire shop!), but... Knowing these tires would fall somewhere near a "35x12.5" advertised tire, unlike some of the other 315s that are much bigger, I want to make sure I am not setting myself up for failure.

I was planning on doing the Rancho 2" sport lift and trimmed fenders to clear the tires, but I want to be sure that is enough to avoid rubbing off road.

I will be swapping out the bumper soon (assuming the winch I am looking at works out on Friday), but is there anything else I need to worry about, pick up, trim, etc. to ensure there are no issues? I can do a 1" or 1.25" rear puck instead of the 3/4" that comes with it if needed as well.

Thanks

Top Bottom