with or without tire carrier look

jorgelrod

Hooked
I wouldn't run without a spare. My trail guide this weekend hooked a rock in a water hole and pealed the inside of his rim open. He was worried about having to borrow someone else's spare if he lost another tire, but luckily didn't.

Inside is great if you can afford the space. I'm running a rear ACE bumper/carrier. ZERO noise or rattles, but it's heavy as crap (160#). Does give you reverse lights, 3500# rated hitch, and I flush mounted a back up camera and 7 pin trailer connector in the face of it. It also has an available 5 gallon gas can mount.

E26D451C-64D1-47D5-9A18-24221323D276_zpsuy90mv3c.jpg

a bit off topic, but damn I love those Salta Wheels...

RedSyndrome

P9010029.jpg P9010030.jpg

I run most of the time with no spare. I do a lot of rock crawling and not having the extra weight of the tire and carrier makes the rear end much lighter.
I do have a Shittybilt security drawer in the back with D-rings built into the corners. I strap the tire on top when I do take it.
I can fill the drawer with my tools and stuff even with the tire on top. Extras like chairs and stuff fit onto or around the tire.
Around town, I can always call AAA. No spare
On trips out of town, the spare goes with me. I through it in the trailer.
It can stay in camp or in the back of the Jeep depending on the trail I'm taking.
I am usually have a group with me, and in a pinch I can borrow a tire to get back to camp. I have never needed to, but I can. I in turn have handed out brake lines, power steering fluid, brake fluid, zip ties, and straps. Whatever I have on the trail and someone needs, they can have. Trail karma is a good thing.

All that said, I have a new bumper on order that has the option to add a tire carrier in the future. WILCO Off-Road MC2X front and rear.
I did the Rubicon Trail this summer so I took the spare. We took our time and camped for two nights. I had a small off-road trailer so space was not an issue. Next time I will not take the trailer and want the space,
so I may use the tire carrier. I try to stay flexible.

P7080048.jpg

My 2cents, good luck with whatever you choose. Nothing is permanent.

Top Bottom