WxNerd2015's Never Ending Build

WxNerd2015

Xprite LED Side Marker Lights Installation (Prep)

Once again, life has continued to keep me busy and i have fallen waaaaay behind in updates for the Jeep again! So, to continue the timeline, I will try and update all of them in order!

So back in October of 2018, I had a side marker light go out. Now those are one of few lights that were still halogen on the Jeep, but nonetheless, since I had replaced so many lights...I had spares that fit that bulb. So i reached under the fender, twisted the bulb socket out and attempted to remove the stock 194 halogen bulb. And of coarse, nothing is ever as easy as it should be! So have 45 minutes of struggling trying every method I could think of to remove this bulb...it shatters. Now I am stock with the base of this bulb still in the socket and no way to get it out. So I then went searching for a new socket, because after some further inspection, the socket itself seemed to have a lot of corrosion in it. But I could not find just the socket anywhere! I had to spend way too much for an entire marker light assembly just to get the socket. So after much looking, I gave up on the socket search and decided it would be way easier and cheaper to just replace the entire marker light assembly!

I did some looking, research, and contacted a few off road shops for my best way to proceed, and based on cost compared to others and reliability factors, I decided on the Xprite LED Ambe/Yellow Side Marker Lights!

20181010_161528.jpg

Now, I ended up settling on these lights over most other options on the fact that they are extremely cheap at only $20 for the pair, and their quality may not be as good as other light Recon, but these work completely plug and play, and even if these break, I could buy 4 or 5 more sets of these before I would even hit the price of one of the Recon kits! Plus it seems the Xprite Customer Service is not too bad if anything does happen! And I was definitely hoping the Marker Light Turn Signal Mod that I did would still work with these! And once again, compared to some others as well, these had the proper connector for the Jeep and are completely plug and play!

I had most of the tools needed for this installation, as it was fairly simple, but the one tool i did not have was a plastic rivet installation tool. This is needed as you will need to remove a few of the rivets holding the fender liner to the fender to peel the fender liner back to get to the marker light. Though, if you can be careful enough to remove the plastic rivets, you could then be able to reuse them, but I have broken enough bolts and clips, that for $25 with the tool and rivets, it was worth the piece of mind to be able to finish the job there and not worry about breaking the rivets.

20181010_161532.jpg
20181010_161537.jpg
20181010_161545.jpg
20181010_161714.jpg

WxNerd2015

Xprite LED Side Marker Lights Installation

With all the prep work done and all the parts and tools I needed, I dove in. The installation took about an hour and a half, mostly due to fighting plastic rivets, as well as the connectors on the marker lights, as the positions those are in, they get very corroded and dirty, so tried to clean those up a bit too. Anyways...into the installation!

The Before Shot:

20181010_135415.jpg
20181010_145305.jpg
20181010_145308.jpg

The passenger side marker was the light that was out, but as you can see, so the standard marker with the one, dim 194 bulb. The first step was to grab a properly sized allen wrench to fit through the middle of the plastic rivet some channel lock pliers. Line the allen wrench up on the outside of plastic rivet (to basically push the middle of the rivet through and then use your channel locks to drive that allen wrench through the middle of the rivet. This method worked well on most, but the directions that come with the Xprite marker lights are pretty nice and descriptive themselves. I ended up needing to remove three rivets a side starting from the front of the fender, and only the rivets securing the outside of the fender to the liner. I also ended up breaking 3 of 6, so...goo thing I brought the tool and more rivets!

20181010_135407.jpg
20181010_135352.jpg
20181010_135359.jpg
20181010_135413.jpg

From here, your next step is to reach up and disconnect the connector from the light (I had to just give it some good pulls again, as these connectors were quite dirty and stuck together) and pull the liner and corner of the fender apart. Give it a good tug and it will flex, but you basically need to pop the clip out on top, and then slightly push the light up to release the clips on the bottom, and then slide the light out straight down! And pulling old lights out you can be less careful, but be careful when installing the new lights through this method to not scratch the lens of them. Once removed, the fender will look like this:

20181010_150111.jpg
20181010_150118.jpg

And here is a comparison for the OEM Marker light and the Xprite LED Marker light! Very similar in style for connectors and fitment which is exactly what I wanted to see!

20181010_150129.jpg
20181010_150136.jpg

From here, you just have to reverse the process now to reinstall the lights. The hardest part is to fish the back connector on the new light into the proper place, but it does actually twist off light the old light bulb socket, so you can twist it off and feed that piece through so you don't have to fight it as much if you would like. It definitely made it easier for me! Once the light is seated in the fender, go ahead and plug the connectors in. For me they were extremely tight and I actually had to use some pliers to squeeze them together, however the connection is definitely solid and no way anything else should be able to get in their now!

Lastly, go ahead and reinstall the the rivets in the fender. For the rivets you saved, just place the outer clip in the fender and then grab your pliers and squeeze the rivet back in. For those that you need to install new rivets, follow the instructions for how to use the plastic rivet tool, but it is super simple and worked as it should!

WxNerd2015

Xprite LED Marker Lights (Final Product)

And...the finished product:

20181010_135420.jpg
20181010_145256.jpg
20181010_145259.jpg
20181010_203148.jpg
20181010_203150.jpg

Overall, I love the look of these lights, they came out awesome! They are definitely much brighter, and even though the camera doesn't should it well, the amber color is very nice! And the best part...they still work perfectly with the marker light turn signal mod! I have no had these installed since October and I have had zero issues with them! So for the $20...I highly recommend these!

WxNerd2015

Next up was the washer nozzle swap for one from a later JK. One of the biggest benefits of this swap is that is actually has two trajectories of spray, not just one, just the upper and lower parts of the windshield both get sprayed nicely, and the spray from both locations is much wider to cover the outsides of the window better.

The part number that I used for the new sprayer nozzle is AB4B36 and it is a direct replacement to the pre-dual nozzle setup sprayers. All that is required is to disconnect the washer fluid hose from the old nozzle, press the nozzle through the top of the hood to release, then push the new one in and reconnect the hose! Also, the replacement nozzle as a 90 degree elbow that points towards the rear of the vehicle, while the old does not have the 90 degree elbow and just points straight down. There is just enough slack in the washer fluid line to be able to connect the new sprayer with no issues or struggles, and it is not actually tuck up out of the way a bit better.

Before:

20181011_162629.jpg
20181011_162641.jpg

Comparison of Sprayer Nozzles (Old on left, new on right):

20181011_162826.jpg
20181011_162801.jpg

After:

20181011_162926.jpg
20181011_162932.jpg
20181011_162943.jpg

Overall, I have noticed a much better coverage in washer fluid on the windshield, and this has been tested through Michigan winter where it was needed a lot! I was definitely able to actually use less spray because the coverage itself reached further on the windshield itself, and it definitely sprayed better at express speeds as well! Is this a needed mod? No. It is a cheap and easy mod though and does provide some nice benefits depending on how much you use your windshield washers! If you are on the fence about doing this, go right ahead with confidence it works!

WxNerd2015

Wolverine Wheelers Fall Color Tour 2018

We then had a blast with the Jeep at the Fall Color Tour with the Wolverine Wheelers! We went up and saw some really beautiful fall colors in the northern lower peninsula around Grayling area along I-75. We also had some good times playing around on the back roads and ORV trails up there! We even got to take our new Jeep pup, Storm, on her first Jeep Trip, and she absolutely loved it! She wanted ever leaf that went past the window and loved when we took breaks to run around in the woods! I did in fact manage to get myself stuck though for the first time, as we were on and off of paved roads a bit, I did not air down much and did not disconnect the sway bar, and climbing a sandy hill, I hit a spot that the ruts got really deep and bottomed out a little, and just did not have anything left to get out! So I needed a little tug, and then I was good to go! It was bound to happen sometimes, but it was definitely the driver that got it stuck, not the Jeep!

It was a great trip though and had an awesome time with the club! Here's some pics from the trip!

20181012_211038.jpg
20181013_114241.jpg
FB_IMG_1539566552747.jpg
20181013_121301.jpg
20181013_121517.jpg
20181013_121522.jpg
FB_IMG_1539566467698.jpg
FB_IMG_1539566472775.jpg
20181013_122625.jpg
20181013_122647.jpg
20181013_122654.jpg
20181013_123342.jpg
FB_IMG_1539566599613.jpg

WxNerd2015

Also swapped out and updated some decals on the fenders! No representing the Wolverine Wheelers on there! Used a plastic scraper to carefully start to remove the decals and then just carefully and slowly pulled them off and cleaned up the entire surface again! Simple as that!

20181014_153850.jpg
20181014_153847.jpg

Seahawkfan

Hooked
And...the finished product:

View attachment 325113
View attachment 325114
View attachment 325115
View attachment 325116
View attachment 325117

Overall, I love the look of these lights, they came out awesome! They are definitely much brighter, and even though the camera doesn't should it well, the amber color is very nice! And the best part...they still work perfectly with the marker light turn signal mod! I have no had these installed since October and I have had zero issues with them! So for the $20...I highly recommend these!

Installed the same lights a few years back. Also did the grill lights same product. Zero issues. I like the blacked out look.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Jeep looks great, I keep telling myself I’m going to add lights under the hood. That’s one of those easy mods you don’t think you need until you have an issue at night get stuck fumbling around with a flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WxNerd2015

Next up, at the end of October 2018 I replaced the Idler and Tensioner Pulleys along with the serpentine belt on the Jeep. Idling was getting a bit rough, and I could visually see the tensioner moving. I also put a mechanics stethoscope on it, and the bearing did not sound good. I decided to go with the Gates Complete Serpentine Kit from RockAuto for $96. Gates is a good and quality brand that I trust, and for what many of the other components would have costed just separately, this was a great deal!

The installation was very straight forward, with removing the belt, unbolt the tensioner pulley, bolt up the complete new one, unbolt the idler pulley, bolt up the new one, make sure both are torqued to proper spec (~24 ft/lbs and ~16 ft/lbs respectively I believe were the correct number, but please verify yourself) and are in line, properly route and install the new belt, and your done! Simple as that! The Jeep definitely runs a good bit smoother after that, but I still thing the new plugs and wires will help as well to get it as smooth as possible! Either way though, here's some pics of everything throughout the process:

Gates Serpentine Kit Used:

20181024_181736.jpg
20181024_181702.jpg

Before shot of the engine bay:

20181024_170401.jpg

After of the engine bay:

20181024_173309.jpg

Up close of the new Tensioner, idler, and Belt installed:

20181024_173315.jpg
20181024_173317.jpg
20181024_173325.jpg

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Jeep looks great, I keep telling myself I’m going to add lights under the hood. That’s one of those easy mods you don’t think you need until you have an issue at night get stuck fumbling around with a flashlight.

Yeah exactly! And trying to position that small beam of light somewhere where you can get a glimpse...it's bad! These diffuse the light great all over the engine bay! I am very happy! But yeah, such an easy mod, but even I had these for like 9 months before i finally installed them! And i am so happy I did, just kept putting off actually installing em for who knows why! Haha! If you get a chance, I recommend em!

WxNerd2015

Installed the same lights a few years back. Also did the grill lights same product. Zero issues. I like the blacked out look.

Yeah, agreed! especially since most of the rest of my Jeep already goes with the Blacked out/smoked theme with all the lights, trim, etc, it fit well! Haven't gotten around to the turn signals yet,but still looking into something more plug and play with no hyper flash issue like the JWs. But one of these days I will probably get around to it! But in the meantime, my turn signal lenses are slightly smoked and i don't mind em right now! Glad to hear the matching set for the grill is working well too! For the cheap prices, it's hard to beat!

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Yeah, agreed! especially since most of the rest of my Jeep already goes with the Blacked out/smoked theme with all the lights, trim, etc, it fit well! Haven't gotten around to the turn signals yet,but still looking into something more plug and play with no hyper flash issue like the JWs. But one of these days I will probably get around to it! But in the meantime, my turn signal lenses are slightly smoked and i don't mind em right now! Glad to hear the matching set for the grill is working well too! For the cheap prices, it's hard to beat!

I honestly don't remember if they were plugin play. I think they were. Or if they had a resistor or something? But no hyper flash though. Yes the price was plus.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah exactly! And trying to position that small beam of light somewhere where you can get a glimpse...it's bad! These diffuse the light great all over the engine bay! I am very happy! But yeah, such an easy mod, but even I had these for like 9 months before i finally installed them! And i am so happy I did, just kept putting off actually installing em for who knows why! Haha! If you get a chance, I recommend em!

Which light kit was that?

Also, did you see the thread about Drummond the first weekend in August? You should try to make the run, we all had a blast last year.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Next up, at the end of October 2018 I replaced the Idler and Tensioner Pulleys along with the serpentine belt on the Jeep. Idling was getting a bit rough, and I could visually see the tensioner moving. I also put a mechanics stethoscope on it, and the bearing did not sound good. I decided to go with the Gates Complete Serpentine Kit from RockAuto for $96. Gates is a good and quality brand that I trust, and for what many of the other components would have costed just separately, this was a great deal!

The installation was very straight forward, with removing the belt, unbolt the tensioner pulley, bolt up the complete new one, unbolt the idler pulley, bolt up the new one, make sure both are torqued to proper spec (~24 ft/lbs and ~16 ft/lbs respectively I believe were the correct number, but please verify yourself) and are in line, properly route and install the new belt, and your done! Simple as that! The Jeep definitely runs a good bit smoother after that, but I still thing the new plugs and wires will help as well to get it as smooth as possible! Either way though, here's some pics of everything throughout the process:

Gates Serpentine Kit Used:

View attachment 325200
View attachment 325201

Before shot of the engine bay:

View attachment 325202

After of the engine bay:

View attachment 325203

Up close of the new Tensioner, idler, and Belt installed:

View attachment 325204
View attachment 325205
View attachment 325206
Seriously thinking of doing this. I get a start up squeal like sound. Sounds kind of like power steering pump noise like at full turn. Drives me nuts. Grabbed a mechanics stethoscope but ran out time. I'll see if I can track it down next time I'm home.

WxNerd2015

Which light kit was that?

Also, did you see the thread about Drummond the first weekend in August? You should try to make the run, we all had a blast last year.

Yeah, planning on being up at Drummond with the Wolverine Wheelers for that weekend! Hope to see ya there!

As for the lights, I got them back in post 241 and installed them in post 252. These are the KC Cyclone Lights and they do actually make a full kit to install either one or two lights. Since I have the sPod, I didn't want the entire kit with the harness and all that, so I just got the lights, made my own harness to the sPod, and got some washers and self tapping machine screws and installed that way! For how cheaper the kit for the lights is at a place like Quadratec, I probably did not safe too much money, but I actually got the exact setup I wanted!

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Seriously thinking of doing this. I get a start up squeal like sound. Sounds kind of like power steering pump noise like at full turn. Drives me nuts. Grabbed a mechanics stethoscope but ran out time. I'll see if I can track it down next time I'm home.

This was definitely a good kit, but the stethoscope helped out big time for me making the decision as well!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, planning on being up at Drummond with the Wolverine Wheelers for that weekend! Hope to see ya there!

As for the lights, I got them back in post 241 and installed them in post 252. These are the KC Cyclone Lights and they do actually make a full kit to install either one or two lights. Since I have the sPod, I didn't want the entire kit with the harness and all that, so I just got the lights, made my own harness to the sPod, and got some washers and self tapping machine screws and installed that way! For how cheaper the kit for the lights is at a place like Quadratec, I probably did not safe too much money, but I actually got the exact setup I wanted!

Thank you for the info! Hope to see you up there

WxNerd2015

Jumping a little out of line here, but super excited as I just registered for the Drummond Offroad Adventure (DOA) put on my Mud, Sweat, and Gears 4x4 club up on Drummond Island! Event is in August and that will be my first time up to Drummond! And I will making sure to check in to get my Badge of Honor for the South Marble Head Loop! But I will definitely make sure to grab plenty of pictures and videos from up there! I will be out with the Wolverine Wheelers in my group, but hope to see at least a few of the other Michiganders here! Here's a map of the trails up on Drummond from VVMapping. I also grabbed a Michigan ORV Atlas from VVMapping just for further exploration around the state! Plus, I just love having true paper maps in my hands! Just something good about it!

MI Big Book Cover for web.png

VVMapping has a lot of other options for both paper maps and downloadable maps and mapping files to add to GPS units as well as great mapping resources for both Michigan and Wisconsin! So if you are in either of those areas or need some off the beaten path maps for these areas, check em out!

View attachment VVMap_MI_ORV_Trail_Map_Drummond[1].pdf

Top Bottom