WxNerd2015's Never Ending Build

WxNerd2015

Lol, what the heck is going on in the last couple pics? I oddly want to try now

The goal is to climb up em and balance on top! Our Wicked Jeeps chapter is just calling them the "Things" and those are the larger size! Actually pretty fun! We have em at a bunch of our Jeep Nights and Meet 'N Greet! One of the other members built em! That was my first time doing it, and only took me 3 tries to get up!

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Awesome Jeep! Love the color. I love Michigan too; well, at least in the summer lol. I lived in the U.P. for about 12 years. I now live in Nebraska, but this summer I plan to come back with the Jeep and ride some trails. I came up last September but took my Tacoma as I had my mom and dog with me, both of which don't really like riding in the Jeep haha.

WxNerd2015

Awesome Jeep! Love the color. I love Michigan too; well, at least in the summer lol. I lived in the U.P. for about 12 years. I now live in Nebraska, but this summer I plan to come back with the Jeep and ride some trails. I came up last September but took my Tacoma as I had my mom and dog with me, both of which don't really like riding in the Jeep haha.

Thanks! Michigan is pretty great, especially when you get "Up North", either the upper part of the L.P. or basically anywhere in the U.P.! I will keep an eye out for ya if ya make it this way!

WxNerd2015

Very Good Jeepin' Christmas!

Well, I must have been very good this year! Santa was very nice to me! I got a whole bunch of Jeep projects coming up! Ended up getting an ARB compressor with the tire inflator kit and underhood mount, an sPod SE with the 8 switches (not the touch screen, I prefer the switches), an ARB Snatch Strap, same small tools I have been needing, a Cobra 75WX CB (as I am redoing my CB Set-Up for the Jeep), and a Fortin pre-programmed Auto-Starter! Lots of goodies!

20161227_143746_resized.jpg

I already got the Auto-Starter installed, and while the directions are simple, and there are many good videos to follow, that dang data immobilizer module plug was a PITA to get out, and took about 30 minutes, which was longer than the entire rest of the install/programming/setup for the entire system and buttoning everything back up! But in the end, very worth it! Looks nice, very small module, and works as advertised, very well! To start it, just press the Lock Button on the factory remote 3 times, and that's it! No extra fob, or wires to splice, or anything like that! It's great! here is the link to the starter that I purchased, as well as the video i used to install:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291347027300?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also have already gotten the ARB Compressor set up as far as I could without installing in the Jeep yet. Meaning, the Compressor is on the mounting bracket, and fully plumbed with the 3 way splitter, tire fill quick connector, and the pressure sensor. All that is left is to secure the mounting bracket to the brake booster bolts, and make the necessary electrical connections, mainly once the sPod is in. There will be a write-up on all these installs, besides the Auto-Starter, as I feel that that video explains it well. Also, I used the compressor install write-up from WAL, as well as using the below video!

But a full write-up will come soon! Happy Holidays and Happy New Years to all the forum members and fellow Jeepers!

WxNerd2015

Jeep Turned 50k!

So, just a day or two ago, just had the Jeep turn 50k and by the way, finally has a name too! I decided to name 'er "Twister", since I am a meteorologist and all, and the rig has done it's fair share of chasing! I know, for an '11 JK, that is still pretty low, but I bought it in May of '14 with 10k, so the rig is definitely getting run now! 50k strong, and everything seems to be running great!

20161228_121818.jpg

I also, was playing around a bit and testing what functions Jeep might have built in that are not too well known, and I am sure plenty of y'all here already found it, but you can do an instrument cluster diagnostic test to make sure all you lights and gauges are working properly. All you have to do is make sure the Jeep is off, hold in the trip/odometer button, turn the key to "ON" but do not start the Jeep, and then the cluster will begin the diagnostic and you can watch it happen. Just follow the video below!

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

#JeepProblems

So my fiance and I just moved to our new house before the holiday in Madison Heights. The house is very nice, and only needed a couple of things, however, I ended up adding 1 extra thing which technically didn't need to be done, however, is a Jeep problem, but a good problem by my standards. We have a 2 1/2 car garage, which I would very much like to utilize, and the old door on the house (solid garage door that folds out and slides in) hung down so far in the opening that it was about 2" too low to get the Jeep in the garage. Therefore, new garage door jumped up high on the list of things to do! and sure enough, within the first week of owning the house, it was already modded for my Jeep! Haha! I had the Door Drs come out to do the removal and installation and explained to them why I wanted to do this and I needed as much space as they could give me with lifting the door higher. Well, 5 1/2 hours later, they redid the rafters in the garage so that they were a foot higher than they were and secured everything with angle iron, flipped the beams so the bow was on the top, and tucked the door way up above the opening on the garage! A fully custom installation inside on that, and I am highly impressed with the work they did and highly recommend them! They managed to get about 7" of clearance above my Jeep now in the garage, and I am loving it! Here's some pics!

Before (And this door was a very faded black and looked extremely old):
20161211_075933_resized.jpg

After:
20161216_154725_resized.jpg
20161216_154749_resized.jpg

And then, here's just a few more cool pics of the Jeep because...why not?

20161223_195756_resized.jpg
20161223_195811_resized.jpg

WxNerd2015

Awesome!! Nothing like being able to get your Jeep in the garage :thumb:

Yeah, in the single digit morning temps, the Jeep was not happy when I started 'er up in the morning, but much happier in the Garage now! And it's a bit warmer place to work in the winter! Haha!

WxNerd2015

Ok, ok, ok...I kinda left a cliff hanger after Christmas! I have now swapped out the CB, install the sPod SE 8 switch console, and installed the ARB Compressor! Everything is working great, looks great, and I love em! I have not had time to rewire my off road lights on the a pillars yet, but that is coming soon, but all the other accessories are wired! I am just trying to look for a way to attach one of the sPod switches to tigger the reverse lights from the switch if I want some light back there, as my projector LED bulbs throw plenty of light for what I am looking for, but trying to find the right wire, and where to splice into the wire to run the power to the sPod. But I promise, I will have full write ups of all of this soon, just been very busy lately!

Anyways, I also picked up a set of Mopar door sill guards, as the winter months were beginning to take their toll on the door sills with scratches from boots and stuff, so I wanted to throw a little extra protection there, and I think they look pretty nice, and will get the job done. Basically, the instructions have a page with the 2 things included in the package, and 2 steps. Those steps would be: 1, wipe the application area with the provided alcohol wipe, 2 when clean, peel backing off bottom of guard and stick it on. Simple as that! Here's some pics from the install:

Mopar Part#

20170201_161515.jpg

Direction Sheet
20170201_155552.jpg

Driver Side Before and After
20170201_155355_resized.jpg
20170201_155918_resized.jpg
20170201_155921_resized.jpg

Passenger Side Before and After
20170201_155936.jpg
20170201_155933_resized.jpg
20170201_160042_resized.jpg

Just an extra side note, I really like how the strip on the tape that needed to be peeled off has a piece pf tape stuck under it to help you get started pulling it off. Because if you have ever worked with these before, getting the cover of the adhesive off can be really hard to get started, so that was a nice touch for the installation

20170201_155543.jpg

Anyways, stay tuned for more updated, and maybe some off road pics soon too as I have a trip planned soon too!

WxNerd2015

Some More New Goodies

Just a short update, and there should be a bunch more updates over the next few days...unfortunately, I have just gotten extremely busy and have been unable to get to posting much up here. I have all the pics and everything ready to go, just need to the time to post em up! So anyways, here's a fewmore goodies I snagged for my Jeep! A smaller ARB Air Gauge, and this small one I actually like better than the large one for the fact that it fits under the floor in the back better with all my other stuff, and, once you take the pressure, this one will hold the needle in the measured position until you press the button to release the pressure, the large gauge doesn't do that! Also snagged a few ARB 10k lbs 3/4" D-Rings, just incase those are needed to attach the snatch strap anywhere! As I mentioned, a lot more updates coming soon, so stay tuned!

20170213_175739_resized.jpg
20170213_175750_resized.jpg
20170213_175757_resized.jpg
20170213_175802_resized.jpg
20170213_184534_resized.jpg
20170213_184548_resized.jpg

Oh! And almost forgot! I also got a new creeper from Harbor Frieght! Pretty nice and love the head rest and the tool/parts trays!

20170227_162915_resized.jpg

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Where the Heck is that Squeak?

Ok, so the other day...a few weeks ago...we got some really good rains come through the area, that especially with the still frozen ground, caused a lot of standing water. So naturally, I was hitting a lot of puddles on the way home because...i have a Jeep, it's fun, and you never get too old to go play in a puddle! But when I got home, I had this horrible metal on metal squeaking sound that seemed to be coming out of the rear, whenever a bump was hit or I closed a door, especially the rear door. It gave me such a horrible feeling as I was hoping I didn't do any damage to anything cuz I really didn't wanna have to ake any repairs, but I was maybe a little on the aggressive side with some of the "puddles" (some were like small ponds, haha). So anyways, knowing it was in the back, I crawled underneath and started looking for where metal could be rubbing and started grabbing and shaking a lot of stuff, and finally found that the exhaust shield, that thin, flimsy piece of metal that sits between the underside of the body and the muffler, had pulled out of the driver side bolt holding it to the body and had fallen onto the muffler. I felt much better seeing this, knowing it wasn't anything over critical and that I could easily fix it.

But as a side note, I believe this design is extremely stupid in that the washers that compress the shield to the body are BARELY larger than the hole in the shield! Why did they not put a bigger washer on there? Unless my is really that deteriorated? But it's only like 2/3's of the edge of the hole, like a couple mms are actually under the washer, so definitely no question as to why it fell off, more like why didn't it fall off sooner?

20170227_162945.jpg

This is the side that fell off, and you can see the size of the hole to the size of the washer on the bolt:

20170227_163001_resized.jpg

This is the good side that did not fall off, and you can see that it looks like it is barely on there:

20170227_163005_resized.jpg

Here you can see how long the stud is:

20170227_163016.jpg

Anyways, back to fixing, I was having a heck of a time finding the right socket to actually get the bolt (it looks rusty, but it wasn't an issue to turn once I got the right socket). I finally ended up narrowing it down to an 11 mm socket, but the stud the bolt goes on is so long, I had to try and find a deep socket, of which, I did not have any 11 mm, only 10 and 12 mm, however, I was able to find the equivelent in SAE sockets which fit just close enough to loosen the bolt maybe 10 turns. I was then able to fish the shield back up on top of the washer and tighten the bolt back down.

So in the end, the shield once again feels secure, however, it's still only held on by 3 bolts that barely are making contact with it, so...for the moment it's there, as I didn't feel like taking all the bolts out, but I may either end of removing it, or the more likely option, I may grab some bigger washers to throw on there to prevent this in the future.

WxNerd2015

TWSTR's Got Life Again...a.k.a REGEARED!

I finally did it...and I am so glad I did! I took the Jeep up to Unlimited Offroad up here in Michigan, and got TWSTR regeared from the stock 3.73 ratio up to 4.56! It is truly a night and day difference which is just another story along the long line of regear stories for the JKs! I was feeling so down on power, and with the old 3.8L...it was that much worse! I thought I would be a bit better with only the 33s, but overall, it needed it bad! The reggae took a day and a half from the shop, but picked it up with no issues! I was running in 3rd Gear on the expressway just to keep 70 at like 3300 rpm, which definitely was not good for the Jeep, and now...I feel like I got 100 more HP and I can even speed up on the highway in 4th now! Not to mention, at 70 on the expressway, the rpms only have jumped to 2200 to 2300 from just below 2000, and running in 4th a lot more, has greatly helped the MPGs! I have gotten like 4-5 MPGs back, and even driving a bit harder, I am still 2-3 MPGs better easily! Oh, and I forgot mention I got the Yukon Gear Sets front and rear, you can see the part numbers in the pics, as well as the Spicer rebuild kits for them!

20170227_195216_resized.jpg
20170227_195225.jpg
20170227_195251_resized.jpg
20170228_161118_resized.jpg
20170227_195300_resized.jpg
20170228_161248_resized.jpg

Here is the regear chart for a 3.8L V6 JK with the Automatic 4-Speed. I am on the low end, but for still being a daily driver with the 33s, it is dang nice!

2011-JKChart.jpg

Additionally, while I was in the shop, they noticed my rear axles seals were bad, which I knew was coming soon, so they went ahead and fixed that up nice too, since everything that needed to be out to do those was already out for the regear!

I also had a rental while my Jeep was in the shop, and ended up getting to still drive a Jeep! The rental company has a Renegade in and it was between that and a Mazda sedan! I know it is no JK, but was definitely a different vehicle to drive, and not as bad as I thought it might be! Though a bit underpowered! Here's some pics of it!

20170216_160127_resized.jpg
20170216_160137_resized.jpg
20170216_160150_resized.jpg
20170216_160206_resized.jpg
20170216_160212_resized.jpg
20170216_160219_resized.jpg
20170217_082852_resized.jpg

My next projects that I will be looking at though is keeping an eye on ball joints, that at 53k miles are starting to wear, as well as thinking about some new pads and maybe rotors for the front brakes!

WxNerd2015

Enjoying the Rig and Gettin' Dirty!

Guess I will cover a few of the trips before I get into the full install of the CB, sPod, and the Compressor. So in February, I took TWSTR out Bundy Hill ORV Park in Jerome, MI. I went out with the Wicked Jeeps SE Michigan Fam and had a fun day of wheeling! Ground started off pretty frozen in the morning still, however, as the day went on, things thawed out, and it got a bit more slick and muddy! But all around, it was a fun day! And I definitely pushed my limits on some of the trails, testing and learning the Jeep, but TWSTR didn't even break a sweat! I was very impressed! Bundy Hill is definitely one of my favorite ORV parks, can't wait to get back again! The main season just opened up for the year this past weekend! But anyways, here's some pics from the trip!

20170211_112705.jpg
20170211_113231.jpg
20170211_113555.jpg
20170211_113608.jpg
20170211_114051.jpg
20170211_121345.jpg
20170211_143749_resized.jpg
20170211_143757_resized.jpg
20170211_143805_resized.jpg
20170211_143809_resized.jpg
20170211_143814_resized.jpg
20170211_143821_resized.jpg
20170211_143826_resized.jpg
20170211_143836_resized.jpg
20170211_171404_resized.jpg
20170211_171409_resized.jpg
20170213_112651_resized.jpg
20170213_112700_resized.jpg

Even ended up with mud inside! Definitely a good day!

20170227_163136_resized.jpg
20170227_163152_resized.jpg

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Ready for anything! New Ski Rack!

Well, after my regear, got to really test out the new gearing! Took a trip up north here in the Mitten to Crystal Mountian for a fun birthday weekend and ski trip a few weekend back! But to get my skis up there and my fiance's I didn't feel like squeezing em inside, so I ended up getting a ski rack! I got he Thule 9033 Tram because I already had the SpareMe spare tire bike rack, of which the ski rack attaches too! I like this rack because it had plenty of locks to make sure that everything was secure on the back, as well as the padded mounts prevented any damage to skis! The rack has many mounting points and was very secure to the rack! The install was 10-12 steps, as the frame of the ski rack itself had to be attached together, however mounting to the Jeep was very easy, but just placing the cross bars on the to mounts for the bike rack, and then attaching the lower cross bar to the middle of the SpareMe mount on the tire and the rack was good to go! Here's some pics of it!

20170302_172300_resized.jpg
20170302_172305.jpg
20170302_172309_resized.jpg
20170302_172318.jpg
20170302_172431_resized.jpg
20170302_172440_resized.jpg
20170305_195433_resized.jpg
20170305_195442_resized.jpg
20170305_195458_resized.jpg

Oh! And for a 500 mile trip, the newly regeared Jeep was amazing! I was so happy with how it worked! I was able to use the O/D gear (4th) most of the way, I was able to put power down when I needed it, and didn't burn a crazy amount of gas! That was the first heavy test for the new gears, and I just could not be happier! And no issues from the gears either, everything was done properly!

GraniteCrystal

Glad the new gears are working well. Don't forget an diff oil change after 500-1000 miles if you haven't done it already.

I would totally end up clipping those skis in a parking garage.

WxNerd2015

Glad the new gears are working well. Don't forget an diff oil change after 500-1000 miles if you haven't done it already.

I would totally end up clipping those skis in a parking garage.

Absolutely! Just swapped the oil out last Saturday with about 700-800 miles in the Diffs! Thanks for the advice!

I would be more worried about the skies, but for one, I knew where we were going had nothing low to worry about, and I am so used to the antenna having to be taken down and put back up, and the skis sit just below the antenna, so I am used to having to watch for low clearances! You can also put the skis in so they sit lower, if you swap the position of what part of the binding goes in the middle, however, then you have more hanging closer to the ground, and with them being so far out behind the Jeep, if I hit a good change in incline, then I might have pounded the end of the skis into the concrete since the rotation point is so far from the skis, so i opted to keep em up! Here's a good video on rack with how to load and the different position you could load!

WxNerd2015

Coming Soon!

Here's a sneak peak at the upcoming write up, as I t was a big installation done all at once with an sPod, New CB, and ARB Compressor! So it is taking me a little longer to get this written up, but I promise it is coming soon! Here's some pics to hold ya over!

20170113_113053_resized.jpg
20170227_162019_resized.jpg
20170227_162225_resized.jpg
20170227_162245_resized.jpg
20170227_162304_resized.jpg
20170227_162314_resized.jpg
20170227_162823.jpg

Also, I got some birthday money from earlier this month so I snagged a couple more small mods that I have been meaning to do with the Rugged Ridge Hood Lift Kit from Extreme Terrain and the Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latch Kit from All Things Jeep (Most of the money was a gift card specifically here, otherwise I might have gone a different route, but any mod on the Jeep is good, so no complaints)! And I snagged a Jeep Travel Mug and Coffee Mug and a nice Jeep Polo! I will post pics as they arrive, but here's the links to the products I purchased below!

Rugged Ridge Hood Lift Kit

HoodLiftKit.jpg

Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latch Kit

HoohLatchKit.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Here's a sneak peak at the upcoming write up, as I t was a big installation done all at once with an sPod, New CB, and ARB Compressor! So it is taking me a little longer to get this written up, but I promise it is coming soon! Here's some pics to hold ya over!

View attachment 249543
View attachment 249544
View attachment 249545
View attachment 249546
View attachment 249547
View attachment 249548
View attachment 249549

Also, I got some birthday money from earlier this month so I snagged a couple more small mods that I have been meaning to do with the Rugged Ridge Hood Lift Kit from Extreme Terrain and the Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latch Kit from All Things Jeep (Most of the money was a gift card specifically here, otherwise I might have gone a different route, but any mod on the Jeep is good, so no complaints)! And I snagged a Jeep Travel Mug and Coffee Mug and a nice Jeep Polo! I will post pics as they arrive, but here's the links to the products I purchased below!

Rugged Ridge Hood Lift Kit

View attachment 249550

Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latch Kit

View attachment 249551

Hood latch kit is awesome. Looks great, works great. You'll love them! Really interested in how the hood lift kit installs and works out. I have been eyeing this for a bit and wondered if it was worth getting.

Top Bottom