Yes you can pull a trailer with your JK Unlimited

jeeeep

Hooked
Awesome thread! Do you guys get nervous that you may break something on the jeep after trailing at your destination... then can't tow home? ... I also have a family of 4... A 7 & 3 year old.... I really want this setup - JKU w/ a small trailer. I could tow with my crew cab diesel but it's way to big to trail with. Most places I go will be 3-6 hours away and towing a trailer (or not) could make someone worried about breaking far from home.... I'm sure the answer will be "don't drive like a jack-ass on the trails" ..... But was just curious of everyones thoughts (experience) on this. Thanks

when my daughter was younger and we'd go out with the pop-up, I always tried to pick trails that were adventuresome to her - which were pretty much just driving on the dirt lol. it's different when I'm out with friends and I only have myself to worry about getting out if I break down :thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked
@jeeeep - Exactly! When we are with the guys... things get taken to a whole other level.... Usually involving tools (or lack there of) and "hold my beer, watch this..." Haha

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Here's our set up below. Camper: Comet RT10. Jeep: 3" plush rides/King 2.5s, 37s and 4.88s. The trailer has brakes and I don't think the jeep needs upgraded brakes at all. Works great. The plush rides do squat a bit in the rear when loaded (see pic) but I'll be adding a weight distribution hitch soon to take care of that. Handles just fine.
View attachment 194139

I'm really wanting to get a pop up like yours later on for my jeep thanks for sharing

RedRum

Here's my new setup
So far have gone 200 miles out to Gettysburg and 250 miles up to lake George, no issues towing but I am not setting land speed records in the hills lol weight distribution hitch helps out a lot !! Dry weight of trailer is 2600 pounds
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473860930.325688.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473861044.839684.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473861112.828409.jpg

Last edited:

RUBEERCON

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473997892.270419.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473998068.040449.jpg
Still welding up my roof rack and nerf bars. This was a 50.00 craigslist aluminum utility shell and a 3000lb axle. I let my shop guys have fun with the build and this is what they came up with. 18" belly storage throughout. I'll toss a mattress inside and be high and dry.

No idea how it's going to pull. We put the axle back so the tail would have good approach, now it's a bit tongue heavy.

T_rav

Such an awesome thread. It's really got me thinking of ways I can pull it off. I love seeing all the different approaches. Lots of good ideas!:thumb:

Just-MB

Request for picture

Can any of you that have the Mopar 7 pin harness installed please post a picture of how the larger plug mounts at the rear? I've got the factory 4 pin and I'm trying to figure out how the larger 7 pin is going to fit in that area. Also, any recommendations for where to mount the aftermarket brake controller.

WJCO

Meme King
Can any of you that have the Mopar 7 pin harness installed please post a picture of how the larger plug mounts at the rear? I've got the factory 4 pin and I'm trying to figure out how the larger 7 pin is going to fit in that area. Also, any recommendations for where to mount the aftermarket brake controller.

Welcome to WAL. You can get an adapter at an auto parts store that goes from 4 pin to 7 pin. You can just attach it while towing then take it off when you aren't towing.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL. You can get an adapter at an auto parts store that goes from 4 pin to 7 pin. You can just attach it while towing then take it off when you aren't towing.

That won't work. 7 pin adds power, brake control wire, and reverse.

Harness comes with bracket to mount plug under bumper.

I put brake controller in front of my right knee on that panel.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's trying to do. I've never had an issue with the adapter, but maybe that's not what he's doing. And I'm assuming the brake controller would be separate all together.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he's trying to do. I've never had an issue with the adapter, but maybe that's not what he's doing. And I'm assuming the brake controller would be separate all together.

You're assuming wrong. The brake controller is one of the 7 pins of the connector. You can't plug a 4 into 7 and have those features magically appear. However you can go from 7 to 4 pin with an adaptor. Or even 7 to 5 pin if trailer has reverse lockout on brakes.

Just-MB

Thank you!

I was looking for pictures of the bracket and 7 pin plug installed. Zimm posted a link to install instructions that gives me a pretty good idea that that I'm going to have to drill into the rear cross member and I'm not a fan of that. I'd do it, but only as a last resort. So, has anyone done something innovative to avoid drilling into the frame?

I'm looking to avoid drilling into the dash when mounting the brake controller too. That's what the other pic request is for.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You can mount the brake controller to the panel that goes under the steering wheel. That piece is easily replaced if you don't want the holes down the road. I wouldn't drill into my dash either.

FD1C6249-6FB6-4F87-ABFC-3ADA6AF5422B_zpsv6br1mrc.jpg

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
My advice would be to be careful where you mount the 7 pin. That was the only modification that I didn't do on my jeep and it didn't work out well. It's my fault as I knew the location was going to be a problem. Here's a pic. I ripped it apart on my the first wheeling trip after it was installed. Gonna drill the bumper and mount it through it.

IMG_1477837807.533129.jpg

And here's the brake controller

IMG_1477837833.482337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom