SAFTEY GLASSES - When Do You Wear Them?

When do you wear safety glasses?

• ALWAYS - All day and night and even in my sleep. You can never be too safe!

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Whenever I'm working on my Jeep and regardless of what I'm doing, just to be safe.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Whenever I use ANY tool that is powered.

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Just when I'm drilling, grinding, cutting, sanding or anything that might throw something in my eyes

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • NEVER - People actually wear those things?

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From a guy who's actually had to go to the hospital to have a shard of metal removed from my eye, I can tell you that I DO make it a habit of wearing safety glasses or at least, when I feel there is a potential from getting hurt without them. This typically includes drilling, grinding, cutting, sanding or using any power tool that may throw something in my face. That said, I've been getting a lot of karens giving me grief over not wearing them while using an impact wrench. This is most notable in our recent Gladiator lift install video where you can see me squinting (above and beyond being asian) as I secure bolts while lying under my Jeep. I am of course squinting because dirt is being vibrated off the chassis and falling in my face - NOT that the impact wrench is throwing anything in it. But I get it, even dirt falling in my eyes can be a problem.

That said and I realize that I'm a total moron when it comes to a lot of things in life but am I really the only one who doesn't wear safety glasses when using an impact wrench? And, if you don't mind me asking, when do you feel a need to wear them? Not being facetious here and this is a totally sincere question - just wanted to get an idea how off base I am. Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-05-05 082357.png

Jsouder53

Hooked
I where my safety goggles only when grinding or working when creating dust or shavings above me. So halfway between never and occasionally.

Years ago I was grinding a cast iron pipe WITH safety goggles and still ended up with a shard lodged in my eye… so started wearing them more often at that point. They were quality goggles too, not sure how it happened.

Brute

Hooked
My grandpa worked at General Dynamics Fall River Shipyard building Trident submarines...he had a metal sliver removed from his eye and had it stitched...liquid cocaine and he wore a small paper cup taped over his eye for a few days...

kevman65

Hooked
Have to wear them 100% of the time on the job, so habit for me. If there is a possibility of something getting in my eyes, I wear them.

Seen some really crazy shit on the job with what will toss "foreign objects" about and how they'll bounce off things and take a wild route into someones eye.

On the job, when using a grinder, it's safety glasses AND a full face shield.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I wear and use STNGR Alpine Ballistic glasses daily.. they are my sunglasses, Range Eye Pro and work Eye pro.. you can swap lenses easy and are good quality which doesn't strain your eyes like the cheaper crap. I have 3 frames, and just buy replacement lenses as needed. They offer clear, blue, green, red & black.. colors are polarized.

They also offer 2 sizes which is cool.. the “Ridge” is larger.

also available on Amazon

I need to look into prescription lenses though because I need reading glasses now.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
I typically use my Oakley’s for most random tasks and have been trying to do better about eye protection. I bought some goggles off amazon that are somewhat comfortable, got them in clear, grey shaded, and green #5 lens's for the plasma cutter.

I’ve been to the optometrist about a dozen times to have things removed some of which happened with safety glasses on

http://Uvex by Honeywell Stealth OT...D), one size fits most https://a.co/d/bUa05CV

kevman65

Hooked
I wear and use STNGR Alpine Ballistic glasses daily.. they are my sunglasses, Range Eye Pro and work Eye pro.. you can swap lenses easy and are good quality which doesn't strain your eyes like the cheaper crap. I have 3 frames, and just buy replacement lenses as needed. They offer clear, blue, green, red & black.. colors are polarized.

also available on Amazon

I need to look into prescription lenses though because I need reading glasses now.
You can look into just regular safety glasses with a "cheater" bifocal. I wear a 2, I've seen them up to a 3.5

Pyramex V2 Readers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wear and use STNGR Alpine Ballistic glasses daily.. they are my sunglasses, Range Eye Pro and work Eye pro.. you can swap lenses easy and are good quality which doesn't strain your eyes like the cheaper crap. I have 3 frames, and just buy replacement lenses as needed. They offer clear, blue, yellow, red & black.. colors are polarized.

also available on Amazon

I would totally do something like this if I weren't asian. Unfortunately, MOST glasses/sunglasses/safety glasses don't fit for shit when you have high cheek bones and a nose with a low bridge. Typically, most glasses just sit on my cheek bones and float above my nose and are useless that way. It is a major reason why I typically wear Oakley and because they make 'asian fit' eyewear.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I would totally do something like this if I weren't asian. Unfortunately, MOST glasses/sunglasses/safety glasses don't fit for shit when you have high cheek bones and a nose with a low bridge. Typically, most glasses just sit on my cheek bones and float above my nose and are useless that way. It is a major reason why I typically wear Oakley and because they make 'asian fit' eyewear.
Try the Ridge… they have the dimensions on the website so you can compare them to your Oakleys.

They’re pretty much an integral part of my job as a firearms instructor and, seeing (pun intended) what happens when shit goes wrong in that environment without them… oof. So yeah it’s just habit if I’m working on really anything, mowing the lawn, working on then jeep etc…. Pretty hard to drive offroad if you’re blind and, I’m already completely blind in my left eye from a birth defect so it’s not something I fuck with.

Spazbyt

Hooked
If I'm using a wire wheel or a grind I try and use them. I have walked away from the wire wheel with wires stuck in my face and I definitely don't want to catch one of those in my eyeball.

I wear glasses so I kinda have a little eye protection all the time. However I use a face shield whenever there’s a chance of metal flying around my face, especially when grinding and cutting with an angle grinder. I once got a small shard of aluminum in my eye and I don’t want to experience that ever again.

Top Bottom