DIY wheel alignment!

tkkim

hi guys.

my jk steering is off.. so I read the write up of DIY wheel alignment and it seems pretty difficult..

so if I just let some shop to do alignment, are they going to do with this same way?

write-up seems have more many step than I saw last time of my alignment in shop.

so to do by my self is better? or it's ok to just let some shop to do it?

hi guys.

my jk steering is off.. so I read the write up of DIY wheel alignment and it seems pretty difficult..

so if I just let some shop to do alignment, are they going to do with this same way?

write-up seems have more many step than I saw last time of my alignment in shop.

so to do by my self is better? or it's ok to just let some shop to do it?

if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, go have a shop do it for you!

tkkim

Can i just go any alignment shop? I worried that jk has some more
Step..

And does aftermarket parts need some more step for alignment?

Cuz when i did my alignment last time , they didn't do whole this write-up step that is in project-jk.com

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Can i just go any alignment shop? I worried that jk has some more
Step..

And does aftermarket parts need some more step for alignment?

Cuz when i did my alignment last time , they didn't do whole this write-up step that is in project-jk.com

I'm sure if you go to a shop for an alignment they will do it correctly. They have tools and such that make it easier for them to do. Reason for all the extra steps on PJK is the use of common tools, Eddie designed it that way so anyone can do one at home.

tkkim

I'm sure if you go to a shop for an alignment they will do it correctly. They have tools and such that make it easier for them to do. Reason for all the extra steps on PJK is the use of common tools, Eddie designed it that way so anyone can do one at home.

O ok! Thanks!

I'll try by my self first! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What he said. The problem with most alignment shops is that they'll charge you to work on your Jeep regardless if you have the components to do even do an alignment. If you don't have adjustable control arms, they can't adjust your caster. If you don't have an adjustable track bar, they can't recenter your axle. Being that you have a solid axle, they cannot make camber adjustments. Due to the design of the JK steering, your toe will not be off and so, there is no need to adjust it. In other words, depending on what you have on your Jeep, they may just take your money and give you a receipt for it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
What he said. The problem with most alignment shops is that they'll charge you to work on your Jeep regardless if you have the components to do even do an alignment. If you don't have adjustable control arms, they can't adjust your caster. If you don't have an adjustable track bar, they can't recenter your axle. Being that you have a solid axle, they cannot make camber adjustments. Due to the design of the JK steering, your toe will not be off and so, there is no need to adjust it. In other words, depending on what you have on your Jeep, they may just take your money and give you a receipt for it.

^^^I believe this happened to me. After the shop got done with it I couldn't tell anything had been done.:naw:

TheDuff

Being that your steering wheel is off, u only need to adjust the drag link, which is pretty easy to do. Put the wheels (not the steering wheel) as straight as u can visually, have a helper sit in side if possible, loosen jam nuts (or pinch bolts) on turn collar of the drag link. Turn the collar and have helper guide u till the steering wheel is centered once again. Retighten jam nuts (or pinch bolts) and done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK's JK

Banned
I thought you have to straighten your tires out straight and adjust your steering wheel center??? :thinking:

**Edit**

Mis-read the first time :icon_crazy:

Last edited:

jkrossi

the drag link attacheds to the spindel and to the idler arm. While the collar is being adjusted it will rotate the steering wheel by pushing the idler arm left or pulling it right. So the wheels must be straight. But of course the steering wheel needs to be unlocked or it will not adjust correctly

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Being that your steering wheel is off, u only need to adjust the drag link, which is pretty easy to do. Put the wheels (not the steering wheel) as straight as u can visually, have a helper sit in side if possible, loosen jam nuts (or pinch bolts) on turn collar of the drag link. Turn the collar and have helper guide u till the steering wheel is centered once again. Retighten jam nuts (or pinch bolts) and done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^ This JK,sJK

When you turn the drag link clamp the steering wheel will move. If I remember correctly only had to turn the drag-link clamp a few turns before the steering wheel was centered again.

JK's JK

Banned
^^ This JK,sJK

When you turn the drag link clamp the steering wheel will move. If I remember correctly only had to turn the drag-link clamp a few turns before the steering wheel was centered again.

**Edit**

Mis-read the first time :icon_crazy:
I think we are all on the same page. I adjusted my steering wheel this last weekend. Told my wife to straighten the wheel out and I got underneath while the steering wheel was turning. She told me straight and I tightened up the bolts. Very easy process...........But I'd drive the jeep for a little bit and may have to adjust a little more.

Dr. Satan

Quick question on centering steering wheel. Do I put the key in the ignition and unlock the steering or leave the key out and leave the wheel locked?

Also, I see some people suggest loosening the drag link, then from the drivers seat turn the steering wheel back to straight and have someone hold the wheel straight, then tighten the drag link?

David1tontj

Steering wheel must be unlocked..
Edit: (At least on my Tj)

That method you described would not work.. You have to have the wheels straight, then adjust drag link until steering wheel is centered..

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

Dr. Satan

Yeah, I have watched that video. It just seems that no matter what write up I read or watch no one addresses what to do with the ignition lock.

Also. I believe it is a teraflex video that shows loosening the drag link, then turning the wheel straight and holding it straight while someone tightens the drag link?

Thanks for the replies and for linking the video it is a good one.

Atch

Yeah, I have watched that video. It just seems that no matter what write up I read or watch no one addresses what to do with the ignition lock.

Also. I believe it is a teraflex video that shows loosening the drag link, then turning the wheel straight and holding it straight while someone tightens the drag link?

Thanks for the replies and for linking the video it is a good one.

You don't need to have the key in the ignition. You also don't need to turn the steering wheel. Have someone watch the steering wheel as you turn the turnbuckle on the draglink until the steering wheel is straight. Tighten the nuts on the draglink, drive & repeat till you're satisfied.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What? Why would you need to address the ignition lock? :thinking:

If what you're saying is true, I would make sure to NEVER follow any instructions they provide as they are really BAD.

You don't need to have the key in the ignition. You also don't need to turn the steering wheel. Have someone watch the steering wheel as you turn the turnbuckle on the draglink until the steering wheel is straight. Tighten the nuts on the draglink, drive & repeat till you're satisfied.

This ^^^^

Top Bottom