where to buy toe-in alignment tool

silverbackjk

I am looking for a toe-in alignment tool but can't seem to find one online was looking for the harbor freight one. Does anyone have one they can recommend?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't waste your money on the HF one. I have one and, while it does work on regular cars, it won't work on a Jeep with BIG tires. Big as in 35" with wheels that have 4" of back spacing or less. Don't know of any others that are affordable or worth it. I would just use a tape measure.

jkrossi

Don't waste your money on the HF one. I have one and, while it does work on regular cars, it won't work on a Jeep with BIG tires. Big as in 35" with wheels that have 4" of back spacing or less. Don't know of any others that are affordable or worth it. I would just use a tape measure.

What should be the difference in measurement from the back to the front of the wheel for correct toe? I know it should measure smaller in the front but by how much?

Edit: sorry nevermind

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What should be the difference in measurement from the back to the front of the wheel for correct toe? I know it should measure smaller in the front but by how much?

Depends on the size of the tire but really, about a 1/16" to about 1/8" in at the front is where you want it to be.

Army_Vet

Banned
So as long as I'm in that range I should be fine with my 35's

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is what we do on big rigs when the Pro alignment guy is not available.

Lift wheel off the ground and lightly spray paint a line down the center of the tire while spinning the wheel until you have a solid line all the way around the tire.

while its still spinning score it with something with a fine point. Imagine a sharpie spring clamped to a jack stand; while tire is spinning slowly slide jack stand into painted line on tire until a solid line can be seen on tire.

If you need a sharper line use a scribe with a fine point; but it must be clamped to something solid like a jack stand.

Fold a trash bag and place under tire, then lower it to the ground. (This is important)

Repeat same steps for the other tire.

When everything is on the ground grab a friend, two jack stands, and a tape measure. Jack stands can be replaced with something else suitable; they will only be used for ensuring your measuring in the same spot on the tire from front to back. ( when I do this I use two spray paint cans)

Anyway.... set the jack stands so they are as close to the halfway mark (tall) of the tire. Put them in front of the tires near the paint mark; measure across the front keeping the tape measure level across the jack stands and note the measurement. move stands to the rear of the tires and repeat the measurement. Check the difference and adjust as necessary, checking the measurements after every adjustment

familytime2

A tape measure works well or you can fab a adjustable bar with a scribe on each end.Paint a line in the center of the tire,use the scribe to mark the tire while spinning it,now you can check your toe.

2007 JKU

Banned
Just use a common point on each tire like a tread edge..no need to mark the tires, as stated use a tape measure.
Wider taller tires will need more toe...

Rob

I have a couple 1x2x48 pieces of wood that I bungee to the outside of the tire. Then I use a tape. Works well and they fit nicely behind the back seat so I have them we get off the trails.

Top Bottom